iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

But Sugar, this thing has a million uses.

Started by Daren, January 21, 2006, 05:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I promised my wife I wouldn't buy anything I didn't really NEED this year. Well I made it almost 3 weeks, not bad for me.  ;) And I actually didn't buy it, I traded a trailer that I don't use much, so it really doesn't count.
It is a 1 ton, and it does run great and the dump bed is done right, braced right and the bed is lined with plate. Pretty solid for a 25 year old truck. It was an old state highway truck (the little light on top still works).
I told her it had a million uses, so far I have thought of one, hauling firewood. One problem, I will have to go buy a good log splitter now.
I am open to suggestions for more uses, I don't need a million really, but another 1/2 dozen or so would be helpful.
More crap in the yard. ::)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Roxie

2.  No more lifting those pesky 150 lb tractor weights out of the bed of the truck at the end of the pull.... one tilt cleaning...just like the windows! 
Say when

WH_Conley

Send it my way  ;D, my wife has been wanting one. :D
Bill

isassi

Come on now...be creative...I would tell me darling...Oh honey, I know how much you love to do yard work and I didn't want to see you shovel out the grass clippings at the end of a long day mowing...and I'll keep the oil checked for you!!!  :D :D :D

Kirk_Allen

Well Daren, speaking from experience, I can see it coming :D

"Daren Moves to the Country"

I can remember living in a neigborhood and first it was the trailer, then the sawmill, then the logs, then the chainsaws runing, then the slabs piled all over the place, then the stacks of lumber drying in the back yard etc, etc. etc. :D :D :D

Its just a matter of Time!  Daren will outgrow his homestead and have to go get a place with more land to store all the treasures ;D

What could I use the truck for?

Dumping Slabs after a day of cutting.
Dumping sawdust after a day of cutting.
Dumping sticks from the yard after the 40 mph winds we have been having.
Dumping hay bails from the barn into the garden and chicken coop.
Dumping firewood.

Oh, forgot its also a truck.

Delivering firewood.
Delivering lumber.
Taking tools to the job site.
With a set of bucket seats in the bed you could take it the drive inn theater and watch the moving under the stars.  ;D :D

Kevin

It'd be handy for dropping the kids off at school ...on the fly.  ;D

Frank_Pender

To haul the new flowers and the barkdust for landscaping the yard,m this Spring.  Perhaps have a few neighbors rent it to do the same, or hire out to haul their yard waste or bark.
Frank Pender

maple flats

Now what she wants to hear is things like
1) haul mulch from bulk (cheaper than bagged) for your flowers
2) haul chips for a romantic woods walk path for the two of you
3) haul driveway stone, much cheaper
4) haul sand for the kids (or grandkids sandbox)
5) ..., you should get the idea how it works, now the rest is up to you 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Daren

Quote from: Kirk Allen on January 21, 2006, 06:43:00 PM
"Daren Moves to the Country"

I have heard that, the only thing that is missing is "Lisa moves to the country too". >:( I sold a few acres I had in the country a few months ago. It was too far away (15 miles) to make it handy to go out there and work every day, we just camped there some. She has really been looking for a piece of ground with an old barn or something on the edge of town for me and my "treasures" so she can have her yard back. If you look at the picture again, that is (was) our lawn. It is now a swamp, there is just something about pushing logs around the back yard with a skidsteer that seems to hurt the grass. ??? I am zoned commercial and the building you see in the background is the city tractor shed, we split the block. The city has junk piled on thier 1/2 and I have just as much on mine.

Ironwood

"MOre crap in the yard" Crap is nice, it makes things grow. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

rebocardo

Honey, you know how much manure we can fit in here for your garden?  I don't even have to shovel it out for you :D

Mulch, pea gravel, dumping leaves into the back 40 in fall time.

Corley5

The possibilities would be endless if it had followed me home. ;)  Delivering firewood, hauling hay, dirt, gravel, junque ;) etc.....
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

highpockets

It looks like a Walmart shopping machine to me. I promise that will sell her on it.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

asy

OOOH!!!

Can I play too???

I know what it'll be useful for!!!

as a MOVING VAN for when you DO move to the country!!!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Daren

Quote from: highpockets on January 22, 2006, 08:19:29 PM
It looks like a Walmart shopping machine to me. I promise that will sell her on it.

How do you know my wife? :D I think we have a winner!
One little problem, she has a brand new Ford suv she is awfull fond of that is like an old mule that knows it's way back to the barn, it just turns into the Walmart parking lot on instinct.
This would be alot easier for her though, just back up to the door and honk the horn. Then push the lift button and I could catch and carry all her things in, it may work for her.

iain

What are you all banging on about?
with time wasting suggestions to try and placate his wife >:(

Darren are you or are you not the MAN in your relationship?

Is your word not the law in you own house?

I see from your pic that you wear the six pack, what about the trousers?

iain(home alone doing tax forms)

Max sawdust

Nice Truck,
Father in law was just showing me a pic of one like that over the weekend.  He drove one for construction for lots of years.  Very handy and durable truck ;D

Suggestion on the wife, would be to demonstrate how this truck will make you more efficent.
"I can charge for delivering firewood also will save me time with the dump so I can spend more time with you instead of tossing firewood"
"Remember that new appliance I promised you, know we do not have to pay for delivery"

Last but not least.  Honey, it makes me happy, I love you ;D

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Modat22

Tell her that you can put a hydraulic take off on the truck to power a motorless log splitter which cost a fraction of their motor powered counter part.

Don't tell her tthe cost of adding the hydraulic take off to the truck though.. ;)
remember man that thy are dust.

Daren

Quote from: Modat22 on January 23, 2006, 08:44:49 AM
put a hydraulic take off on the truck to power a motorless log splitter which cost a fraction of their motor powered counter part.

Now there is an idea. I need some help with this for real. I was just posting the picture out of boredom and to start a conversation and let everyone joke on me that I have to ask my wife permission to spend money (I don't really, just having fun).
I am looking for a log splitter. I have never needed one before, but am going to do some firewood this year. And this is going to be my firewood truck, why not let it run a splitter?
The pump on the truck does power 2 long cylinders. I don't know how much pressure it makes, but I don't see why a guy couldn't tee into the supply and return line. They are easy to get to. I would need 2 ball valves,  to isolate to bed while I ran the splitter and a set of quick connects for the part of the tee that goes to the splitter. The pump switch is on the dash, I could make another with long leads and aligator clips to run it from outside near the splitter. I can get a cylinder for free I bet. And am a welder/fabricator.
What am I missing?

Minnesota_boy

You're missing a diverter valve, a ram and the splitting wedge to mount on the end of your I-beam.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

RichlandSawyer

Daren, I would suggest a topper for your new truck. That way you will have someplace to sleep when she throws your butt out for selling her camping spot and pilling junk in her flower garden.

PS might wanna hurry on the ball valves wouldnt want to get "DUMPED" out of bed!!
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Weekend_Sawyer

I got one!

Deer feeder, I lay 2 50lb bags on the open tailgate so the bags are just a little over the edge. then slice them open a bit so the corn starts running, then I drive around my property feeding the deer, bears, trukeys, squirrls, cyotes and such. When I look in the mirror and don't see any corn on the ground behind me I lift the bed a little and away we go again.

I added a dump kit to my 96 Ford F350. I only have one regret, I use it so much that the bed is startging to get beat up. I'm thinking about removing the pickup bed and flatbedding it.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Modat22

I'd stay away from using a ball valve setup to switch your hydraulic power to a splitter. One day you will forget to switch it back and its not pretty when you do.

You'll need a diverter valve. It might be cheaper to find a tractor hydraulic splitter thats already setup and ready for fluid power.
remember man that thy are dust.

Daren

I got thinking about it. The dump part of that old beater is the only reason I traded for it, I don't want to go messing with it.
Heck my skidsteer is already plumber for aux. hyd., there are a capped off supply and return up by the bucket. My buddy is the service manager for a heavy equipment dealer. I'm sure between the 2 of us If I wanted to build a splitter, we could come up with something. The skidsteer would have all the pressure I need and I would have to monkey with anything.

wiam

Daren  I think the pump on the truck would be slow.  But the skidsteer would almost throw the wood off the end.

Will

Thank You Sponsors!