iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12' Concrete Jersey barriers

Started by Ironwood, January 21, 2006, 03:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

OK, A friend has some 12' barriers @ $100 bucks each. I don't need landscape supplier dividers or a foundation for a "tent" building, WHY SHOULD I BUY THESE? There are six. He is close and they are in great shape. I don't have any huge drop offs to protect . Any thoughts?  ???

Thanks Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Frank_Pender

Bunks for washing logs, preloading for mill, sorting lumber, offbearing stands for lumber,  holding site for banding units. 
Frank Pender

Ironwood

All good suggestions Frank. One yard I know of uses them for staging orders, both incoming and outgoing before  they get further processing. It keeps loads away from the moist gravel surface if not out of the weather for a day or two. If logs need to off the ground they are good as well. Certainly good gates/ security barriers for the driveways when out of town (keeps out fire trucks too :o). I have used earth berming where we have drop offs so no need there. I need to think about it. I did think of "floating " lumber building foundations instead of piers on our rock ground, no soil at all ,just on bedrock. I could have a buddy's fab shop build columns with flanges to bolt to. That may be my best usage as hammering rock for piers is unattractive (I used an 863 Bobcat last spring with a hammer to put in gutterline and downspouts and waterlines were the new shop will gg-gggg----ggg-oooo. NO FUN >:().  Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Quartlow

Foundations!!! I know a guy who burried them and set his house trailer on them. Worked great!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Ron Wenrich

One of those concrete casting companies is next to our mill.  They have tons of rejects.  We've used them in our log yard as a base or anyplace that mud and heavy equipment are problems.

The biggest problem for lumber or logs is the height.  You lose a lot of storage area because they are so high off the ground. 

They would be OK for foundations of equipment, but you have to get them below frostline.

I have seen them used at guardrails across private bridges and approaches.  They could also be used to make a riverbank approach more stable. 

Mostly I've seen them stored in somebody's field or yard waiting for someone to buy them, being that they're just too cheap to pass up.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jon12345

Lay em on their side, and then stack the logs/lumber on em  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Quartlow

IF you didn't have to move them you could bury them down say 28 inches of so, lleave senough out of the ground to keep logs out of the mud and you don't lose to much in the way of reach.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Ironwood

Quartlow,

Good idea I like the idea of buring them a little as it takes out the racking under weight. I think I may use them as partially buried foundtions under a roof for lumber storage. I just found a line on 150 pieces of 25' roof bar joists (my roof!)

Reid

rebocardo

To divert water or to use as a bridge foundation across a gulley. Walls for a buried root cellar?

FiremanEd

6 of them forming a "U", 2 wide and 2 deep, filled w/ dirt or crusher run. Level inside the "U" and a ramp out the back make a great unloading platform. This allows a shorter loader to unload logs off log trucks/trailers.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

logwalker

I just bought 6x2x2 blocks from the concrete supplier for $35 each. Almost a yard each. Building me a truck loading ramp. Was surprised how cheap they were. They have keyways for sacking and eyes for lifting. Weigh nearly 4000 lbs. Lw
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Ironwood

Log walker,

My outdoor phase converter (30hp) is bolted to a 30"x30" x6' block similar to that. I built a little shed over it and used some acustical faom inside. Reid

trouter

We have been looking for some of them here at our mill, if anyboby knows where we can get some send me notice. Ron I see there are some down your way I have trucks in that area often and could do a backhaul. Basically anywhere south of 80 in PA east or west. We need to keep our mulch from running down over the bank onto the road when we have heavy rains. I had found some in the past but they wanted a hogs price for em.

ksu_chainsaw

We use an old bunker silo to dump firewood in until we sell it.  stacking those in rows would give you a spot to put firewood in, or a BIG burn pit for slab wood.

Charles

truckwrench

in this area we get them for $50 to $80 they are 10 feetlong ,and we use them for lots of things ,when we get extras we sell them for $130

Frank_Pender

Sure wish  I could get them for $50 each. :'(
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!