iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood processor

Started by saskman, January 21, 2006, 11:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskman

Has anyone built there own firewood processor or have an idea or plans for 1 I have two saw set up ideas 1 being use of my old homlite chainsaw and 2 being an old head saw ( I think there called that) a large diameter circular saw blade lets hear your ideas

Gilman

Is it going to be mobile or in a fixed location with electricity available?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

saskman

we were thinking mobile and we were going to run it off a small datsun pickup truck, my questions lead more towards this would it be better for the log to go into the blade or the blade pull down onto the wood, well really there are lots of questions I have im was just wondering if anyone has built such a thing there are lots of the head saws around this area.

logwalker

I had one once that was made from an old forklift mast. It makes a very good starting point. Layed it on the frame of an old pickup. Could run it off a pump on the tranny. Multiple drop-in knives and a horizontal cutter with a return drag  bar to get some pretty high thru-put numbers. Over 2 cords an hour. A chute out the back and it will even load the truck for you. "Keep on truckin' "   LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Gilman

I don't suppose you have any photos Logwalker?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Ron Wenrich

Morbark used to make a firewood processor with a circle saw.  You want a different type of saw than the ones you see in a sawmill.

It is best to have the saw come down through the log and some kind of clamp to hold the log during sawing.  Morbark simply had a conveyor to advance the log, if I recall.  After the piece was sawn, it dropped it into a splitter.  It was run with a small diesel.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

saskman

Yes I ran one at a post and pole mill I worked at they worked awesome I just need to build a smaller version

Sawyerfortyish

Cord king makes one like that. I know a guy that has one and he can fill a 45' dump trailer in under 3 hours.  I think they use a bucksaw blade. Not a headsaw blade. The bucksaws are much thicker and made for that work.

logwalker

This Guy in Oregon is doing it right. I can't believe the production he is getting. 4 cords an hour with one person and no other equipment. Unbelievable. And never sharpens a blade. Watch the video.

http://www.chomper.net/
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

saskman

Yes an actual processor would be great but unless I decide to make firewood a fulltime buisness I couldnt get enough money to pay for one.

TeaW

Logwalker: 4 cord an hour with a 16 inch Chomper would be exceptinal production. I had one for a few years and if I worked hard 1 and a half  (128 cu ft cords) an hour was good. If you can run 14 inch wood through it may be , but my wood dosen't come that way. It was a good machine and they are a good company to deal with , but I have moved on.
TeaW

logwalker

Yes, I thought that sounded high. But I was just passing it on. I should know better. It is nice not to run a loader or trackhoe with it. Maybe that would work better. Oh well. It looks good working. LW

Thank You Sponsors!