iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little pet on the back....

Started by Murf, January 20, 2006, 02:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murf

As some of you already know, one of my 'recreational' activities is training and handling dogs. In particular, Jack (Parson) Russell terriers (terrors?  :D).

Among the things that I do to keep them as calm and socialized as possible is to get them out doing things as much as possible. Since many places I would like to take them, such as shopping malls, etc., are "no doggie zones" I have to get a little creative sometimes.

Also, being disposed to do volunteer for social, community & charity work I try to find a way to mix them. One of the ways I have found is to make visits, with the dogs, to seniors residences & hospitals.

To see the peoples faces, young & old, when the dogs come in is a feeling money just couldn't buy.  8)

Ask anyone who has seen these visits, and they will tell you, it makes a real difference in these people, it lifts their spirits in a way, and amount, you just cant imagine.  ;D

Well, now it's official. A study has been done, involving visits of dogs to seniors in long-term care facilities. The results were that a big majority of the seniors who had a 30 minute visit from a visiting dog, just once per week, had a tremendous drop in their level of loneliness as measured by the UCLA loneliness scale. The study also found that the loneliest individuals benefited the most from the canine companionship.

According to the author of the study ""We haven't done a scientific study on (the impact of pets on residents) but some things you really don't need numbers. You can just see that people are doing a lot better."

Over the years I have seen & heard exactly the same thing from staff, residents, family members and even some of the residents themselves.  :)

If I can offer one suggestion to everybody here, if you feel like visiting a senior in your area, maybe someone who doesn't get out much anymore, casually suggest that you and your dog want to come over and chew the fat for a few minutes.

I don't know what special power the good Lord gave animals in general, and dogs in particular, but I can tell you, Deputy Dog & I are believers !!!!   ;D

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

My grandfather raised and hunted with English Cocker Spanials. Every day was uplifting for the old timer, just to get out and walk his dogs. He'd walk them out to the beaver pond in the summer, out the snowmobile trails in winter and walk all day with them in the woods hunting grouse and woodcock in the fall. They are what kept him going in his later years, when he went blind and couldn't be with his dogs he gave up on life. Passed away 2 years later , almost to the day he went blind. My uncle always wanted to get him a little dog for the house, but since he was blind he lost all interest.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tophat

;D :D My son, Wesley now 8 has had three open-heart surgeries and numerous hospital visits... several times while in the hospital a group called Paws for Palls I think would come by with a dog for him to rub and pet. Really rose his spirits when they'd come.  It is a real ministry to get into. God Bless You! 8)

Burlkraft

The power of a friendly animal is unbelieveable.

Before Christmas some of my employees took up a collection and bought toys for the kids in the Children's Hospital here at The University of Wisconsin. My shop manager was Santa and I took my golden retriever Rhino along as we passed out presents in the activity area of the Hospital. Rhino had a blast and the look on the kids faces to see her dressed in her antlers with bells and a Santa bandana was unforgetable. Some of the more severly sick kids couldn't be around the dog, but the majority of them joined in. It was a very fun afternoon and a very fulfilling one for me and my employees.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Our household has always had a dog or three. Right now we have 3. A couple weeks ago for one reason or another it was quite stressful around the house. Everybody seemed to be rubbing everybody else the wrong way, well we were talking about going somewhere but couldnt agree on anything so didnt go. Sitting there we heard some odd noices and then the common sound of our old dog Sydney's (in his 17th year) toenails coming acrossed the hardwood floor but accompanied by a thump drag thump drag thump drag slide...sound. ??? 

Well, we dont know how he managed it but this is what we found. He was certainly ready to go with Tammy's purse slung around his neck standing ready to go out the door. 

No more stress, no more tension. Gone, evaporated. all because of an old dog. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

That reminds me of my old friend Arthur's (Art) dogs. He treated them like kids as he and the wife never had any children. Those dogs knew everything he told them. The last dog he ever had was 'Penny' an English Cocker Spanial my grandfather and I gave him 25 years ago. She lived 17 years and was a puppy from the last litter of pups grandfather raised. She went everywhere Art went fishing in the canoe for salmon during the summer and hunting for grouse in the fall.  That old dog always knew my truck when I pulled in the yard and waited by the door to greet me on visits. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clif

When I first moved to Alaska I stayed with some friends for a while and they had a toy poodle ( not my type of dog).  One night I am sitting on the couch and she comes over in front of me and does a little dance and starts barking at me.  It was obvious she wanted something and I looked at her master and he says Oh she hid something and she wants you to find it.  It was her game, and if you went the wrong way she would just sit and watch you, but if you went the right direction she would bark and the closer you got the more she would bark until you found it.  She was real inventive where she hid it ( in a shoe, under a blanket, under a rug, in a trash can etc.)  not very often in the same place.  A real funny little dog. 

I got telling the story and forgot to connect it to the thread line last night.  She would not play this game often just when someone was feeling "down in the dumps"  and here she would come with her little dance.  She was very persistent and you would always end up feeling better.
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

jon12345

When I was younger we had a chihuaha/wire hair terrier and she had puppies then we decided we didnt want to get her spayed, but didnt want any more puppies so we found her a new home with an elderly woman. I think it was the best thing that coulda happened to the dog.  The woman lived alone, so she cooked every meal for the dog, and even bought a extra plane ticket when she went somewheres for the dog to sit beside her on the plane  :D :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Larry

17 year old nephew ran over by a truck.  In a comma...Doctors don't know if he will ever come out of it.  Started taking the boys wienee dog to the hospital every couple of days.  The dog would snuggle under the covers right next to the boy.  Took a couple of weeks but nephew came right out of his comma.  You could call it coincident but I dunno...maybe one of those things we don't understand.

And if you ever wondered how a dachshund was created...

Daschund Creation

On the first day, God created the daschund and He saw that he was good.

On the second day, God created man, and well, God was not impressed.

On the third day, God and the daschund met to decide what to do with the man and they determined he should be the daschunds servant.

On the fourth day, God and the daschund trained the man to get food, get water and to make a fuss over the daschund.

On the fifth day, the daschund said to God, "Hey, Big Guy, this is kind of fun to be waited on hand and foot, but what's next?" So God created woman. That same day, God and the daschund began the woman's training. She was trained to tell the man exactly when to get the water and when exactly to get food so that God and the daschund would not have to be bothered.

On the sixth day, the woman found some apples and told the man to take them to the daschund. The daschund, on seeing the apples said, "Hey! Those are God's apples off His tree, we are not supposed to eat them!" The man said, "OK, I will eat them myself!" And he did and he shared them with the woman. Well, God got pretty ticked and He threw the man and woman out of the area. And God was left alone with the daschund.

On the seventh day, God thought about taking a rest, but the daschund was hungry and thirsty and God had to get up early to take care of the daschund because the man and the woman were gone.

Once God got used to getting up really early to tend to daschunds needs, things settled into a sort of routine. God would get up, dig the daschund out of its warm burrow in the clouds and take the daschund to an area to take care of business. This is where hail comes from.

Later, God would find the daschund food and feed it from His own hand and give the daschund over to the angels with which to play. The daschund would race back and forth over the clouds with the angels in tow, racing here and there and tearing up the sky. This is where tornadoes come from; from daschunds running back and forth over the tops of the clouds.
In the evening, after the daschund was really tired after playing with the angels, God would take it back into His bed, burrowed in the clouds. But the daschund always wanted a night light on. This is where sunsets come from; the daschund night light.

And God has been looking after little daschunds ever since.

~Author Unknown~

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!