iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

YE-HAW NEW SAW

Started by WoodSmith, January 19, 2006, 11:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodSmith

Bought a new 2006 MS650 / 32" bar today.
Time to start cutting!
Do you know what it is like to have a new saw setting there and have to wait for a couple of days before you can go out and cut something.
Gonna use it with my Alaskan Mill, and fall and buck some pretty big wood here on the property.
The wife didn't get to excited so I had to share it with some folks that know the feeling of getting a big saw.

Bill

Congratulations !

If you'd care to - some of us might like to know what you think of it in a week or so.

Good Luck

Ianab

We understand   8)

I've used my new 7900 a few times now, it's great to have a saw with a bit of grunt on those bigger trees.

But after a while it's a relief to pick up the smaller saw again and do some limbing ;)

Have fun  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fishhuntcutwood

I know how you feel.  I just bought a new 660 a couple of weeks ago.  All of my saws are put up for a while, as I've got 8 stiches in my finger from a freak filing accident night before last.

We would like to know what you think of it.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

beenthere

Sorry to hear about the finger needing stitching. How are we going to avoid a 'freak' accident similar to this if we don't understand what happened?  (Or is that the 'freak' part of it, you don't know either?  :)  )

Hope you are on a quick mend.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishhuntcutwood

Actually nothing all that freak about it.  I was just being a bit humerous.  I was filing, file came out of the cutter, and the cutter behind it caught my finger.  Sliced nearly to the bone.  :-[

Wear gloves!

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

WoodSmith

Sounds like your gettin a good edge, stitches even, yikes.
Ya I will for sure let ya'll know how it goes with new saw.
I'm amazed how light weight it feels.
I think the power to weight ratio will work nice when using the alaskan mill.
I'll post some pics as well cutting wood out here in Oregon.
Take care of that finger fishhuntcutwood

ScottAR

A question from the ignorant...

What's the difference between a 650 and a 660?  They appear nearly the same... 

Now return to our regular program...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Ianab

QuoteWhat's the difference between a 650 and a 660?  They appear nearly the same... 

6.7cc and .4kw of power....

I believe the saws are very similar, like the 290,310, 390 series. It does make you wonder because the saws must cost about the same to build, but they sell the 650 cheaper because it's 'smaller'.  ???
Is there different regulations relating to various sized saws, and they did this to get into another 'class'?

Less power than the 660, but less $$ too, should still be a very good saw.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Buzz-sawyer

I bet its a case of the old, "Good, Better, andBest" pricing strategy....same tools different marketing and price....... ::) :o
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

StihlDoc

The MS 650 is slightly smaller in displacement that the MS 660. The smaller engine has less stringent exhaust emissions requirements.

Jim Spencer

Do you live near the Lumbermans Monument?
I used to cut pulp in Glennie.
Graduated from Oscoda High school in 1953.
Jim

StihlDoc

Quote from: Jim Spencer on January 23, 2006, 10:36:22 PM
Do you live near the Lumbermans Monument?
I used to cut pulp in Glennie.
Graduated from Oscoda High school in 1953.
Jim

I am from that area but moved away years ago. My parents still live in the Glennie/Barton City area and they both graduated from Oscoda in 1953.

GlennG

Quote from: Ianab on January 22, 2006, 09:29:31 PM

It does make you wonder because the saws must cost about the same to build, but they sell the 650 cheaper because it's 'smaller'.

Ian

A friend of mine that works as a mechanical engineer once said, that the difference in manufacturing costs between a small saw such an 026 and a big saw such as a 066 or even an 088 is only the price of a little more raw material + a little more electricity used in maching.  Or in laymans terms less than $20....., .

Anyways....Congrats on the new MS 650, I have a 066 that I`ve been milling with for years and its been 100% dependable.

Glenn

StihlDoc

There are many factors that drive costs of one product vs. another other than the extra raw materials. Tooling costs, assembly line fixtures and jigs, sales volume, manufacturing cycle times, research and development, marketing, advertising, product liability costs, etc., etc.

GlennG

Quote from: StihlDoc on January 24, 2006, 06:15:13 AM
research and development, marketing, advertising, product liability costs, etc., etc.

These are not manufacturing costs.  Would R&D be any different on an 066 vs 026 if you were starting from scratch with each saw? Productliability would be higher on the 026 than the 066 since there are many more 026`s . They will both do major harm if used improperly. Marketing  and advertising is almost non-exsisting for the larger saws, when compared to the advertising of small saws and string trimmers. I still feel my original point has merit.

Glenn

StihlDoc

There might not be a large difference in the value of the actual raw materials between a large saw vs. a smaller saw but manufacturing costs are not just about raw materials and assembly time. Larger saws require larger molds, fixtures, and jigs. Making larger parts requires larger production machines. Larger engines require larger and more expensive testing apparatus. The dynamics of a large engine require much more development time and testing to keep weight to a minimum, keep noise levels and exhaust emissions within government standards, and give the product acceptable life. Sales volume also plays a big part in costs. It is cheaper per piece to buy 10,000 carburetors, forgings, bearings, etc. for a large volume small saw vs. only buying 1,000 of these parts for a low volume product.

Jim Spencer

Message for Stihl Doc:
I have to know your parents because I graduated from Oscoda in 1953.
What are their names?
Mine is Jim Spencer

Thank You Sponsors!