iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need expert advice

Started by maple flats, January 18, 2006, 10:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I had a potential customer contact me from my link on the FF and during the discussion with him I came up with a question. He has about 2500-3000 bf of chinese elm, hickory, cherry, oak and basswood. I suggested that he seal the ends until I could get there and he says they have been cut since last summer and piled. Is it too late to have end seal save any grade or will it still help? I would not be able to get to it until July. I told him I would put the question out to the FF since many of you have a vast experience in this game. Thanks in advance. :P ???
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Tom

I would say that it is too late to worry about sealing the ends of the logs. 

If the end splitting is bad, you might cut them back to good wood when you saw and seal those fresh cut ends.  This is what I would do if the logs needed to be bucked or sized anyway.  Getting a fresh end will make it a lot easier on your sawmill blade too.

Or. just seal the boards. .......or, you might get away with leaving them like they are and just saw them and leave the trimming of the board for later.

Once end splitting starts, you can't stop it.

rebocardo

Thank You Sponsors!