iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trouble with shipping sawmill parts

Started by Paul_H, January 18, 2006, 04:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

Back in the Fall I ordered some ignition parts for my Mobile Dimension 127 because I was having trouble starting the engine.The parts took over 3 weeks to get here by mail so the next time I ordered parts I spoke to Ron,the owner of Mobile Mfg and asked him to send them another way because the wait was too long.
Ron told me that he hasn't really had any problems with shipping by mail and has not ever heard many complaints.I found Ron to be helpfull with troubleshooting the mill but not with the shipping issues .During one of these conversations we decided that the magneto on my engine had packed it in and I had to decide between a new mag @$350 US or a electric starter kit,including alternator and distributor for $850 US.
It was a no brainer because I could hang up the pull rope for good.I ordered the kit on the Dec 16th 2005 and asked that it would be sent UPS or equivalent because I would like to get started right after Christmas.

It was shipped out by US mail on Dec 20th 2005!!  :-\

We have phoned several times since the second week in January and have checked the mail daily.I have put off a couple of customers because I have no idea when the kit will arrive.We've called Mobile Mfg but because it was sent US mail,they have no way to trace it.
Yesterday I phoned Mobile Mfg and asked that they ship another out right away by UPS and I can get starter on installing the kit and get back milling.I proposed that when the kit that was originally shipped out back in Dec finally arrives,we could either send it back right away by mail or UPS,the choice was up to Mobile.
I got a call today and the idea was nixed because it was too much money for Mobile Mfg to risk but I could pay for another kit and receive a credit when the other is sent back.I  asked if they would meet us half way and accept $450 US as a deposit,after all,we paid back on December 16 the full amount of the kit and as of January 18,have seen nothing.

They said they'd get back to me  :)

Is this a unique situation or have others had similar shipping issues? I guess more importantly,how can this shipping issue be resolved.I wonder how others ship to and from Canada.

The kit is around 50 lbs
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Murf

We routinely have to order parts from manufacvturers and suppliers all over the place, not just the US.

What we did was we set up an account with UPS. Then when I order something I just ask them to prepare it for shipping and I will have it picked up. All we have to do is go to the UPS website and order a pick up, giving the suppliers address as the pick up point, and billing the shipping to my account.

It works great, and best of all, they'll even pick up from a residential address.  8)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

GF

I never ship anything US mail unless I absolutely have to.  One time I had some blades sharpened it was a three hour drive, it took the USPS 10 days to get it there (guessing they had to walk and still made some wrong turns  smiley_dizzy ).  Anyhow the mailman in our area I think cannot read, he puts mail in the wrong mailboxes all the time, somtimes 3 to 4 miles away and the addresses have nothing in common.  I called the postal service once (along with others) and they let me talk to the delivery man, asked what his problem was, and asked if he could not read,  smiley_mad_crazy   he kinda chuckled and said sorry, I recommended to him a set of glasses or possibly a reading course.

Now everytime we get the wrong mail in the mailbox, I write on the front in large letters "left in wrong mailbox", that way the correct person will also realize that it was put in the incorrect mailbox.  I agree that not all USPS delivery employees are this way.

jpgreen

That's a good idea Murf.

Problem is UPS is way more exspensive from the US to places like Canada and Alaska.  I sell a product, and we've had to stop using UPS for those customers.

It just sucks waiting for the USPS.  Personally, I would not accept shipment from them if I was in your area.  We've also had many units come up missing with them.  I know I'm not much help here..  ::)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Paul_H

I ordered a electric motor for the kiln first thing on a Monday morning from McMaster Carr out of California. UPS put it in my hands at around 11:30 am the following day.
That is how I asked that this kit be sent from Troutdale Oregon back in December.I would have been money ahead by using UPS or a similar shipping co.I can't saw with a motor that won't run.

GF,
I agree,the mail system is pretty slow.It would make sense to have spare belts and other parts sent that way if time wasn't a factor but in this case,it was.

I'm still hoping to hear back from Mobile Mfg today.

Paul_H

JP,

I need the parts bad enough that I'd accept them from almost anybody,plus I've got around $1000 Cdn floating around out there in Postal Land  :)

ronwood

Paul_H,

Maybe Mobile Mfg needs to take a close look at their customer service and how it is effecting their business. I bet the sponsors of the Forestry Form would have done a better job getting the parts to you. Seems that they are not looking at the big picture.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

jpgreen

I meant to say that I wouldn't accept "That type of shipping (US Postal) when ordering", for future reference to any other of our Canadian brothers. I don't know why the USPS with all their resources cannot track a package to Canada and AK?

I know that just plain sucks Paul.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: jpgreen on January 18, 2006, 04:23:40 PM
Problem is UPS is way more exspensive from the US to places like Canada and Alaska.  I sell a product, and we've had to stop using UPS for those customers.

I've had stuff cost more in shipping by UPS than their value because of this new fuel sircharge they've added on in the last year or two. If I was in Paul's position I wouldn't mind paying the extra so I could get my parts and get things rolling. But, most of the time I give up to 6 weeks, then I write VISA for my money back. Never been turned down yet. If I remember, I've had to write for chargeback 3 different occassions. The real kicker with that fuel sircharge is that your not expecting it, until the delivery guy has his hand out for a fist of cash.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

Ronwood,

that's what is so frustrating to me,that a problem hasn't been acknowledged yet by the co. I seem to be looked upon as unique,one in a million even.I wonder if the strategy is to wait it out and hope the package gets there soon.I haven't asked for compensation or reimbursment,only that they send out another package immediately by UPS so I'll at least know that I can be milling again by Monday.

ronwood

Paul_H,

If I was buying a mill at this time I would not even consider the Mobile Dim. if their service is like that. That is one of the things that I looked at 3 years ago when I was buying a mill. Read users comments on a number of forum on service of the company. One can see why Woodmizer and many of the other manufactors are doing well. A great product without service don't work.  Hope Mobile Dim. takes a look at this forum.

Good luck.
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Quote from: jpgreen on January 18, 2006, 04:23:40 PM
Problem is UPS is way more exspensive

Ya gits what ya pay for!

Good luck Paul, hope things show up.
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

MobileMfg

I am very upset at this entire situation. I am the employee that Mr. Halverson has been speaking to. I can tell you that there is not ONE company I have ever done business with that would send a second shipment out without payment.  Mobile Manufacturing is a small business and we are not in the habit of offering free merchandise, (to anyone). I offered to send Mr. Halverson a new unit at cost and the minute he returns either unit I would refund his money right now! The customer service you receive at Mobile Mfg. is one of the more superior. We never put a customer off and all shipments are sent out either the same day as the order or the next day. We also rarely ever back-order shipments. When you call Mobile Mfg you will always receive a friendly customer service representive, NEVER an answering machine. When we take orders, one of the most important questions we ask is "HOW DO YOU WANT THIS SHIPPED", it is than up to the customer to make that decision.
According to our invoice Mr. Halverson chose to ship the least expensive USPS.
When a customer calls from Canada we inform them the mail is slow. We are unable to track USPS shipments, and it could take up to 60 days.  I would say the issue of delivery is in the hands of the Canadians, as that one man whose mailman can not read the addresses.
The idea of accusing a company who has always provded a very fair service to the sawmill community of being unfair to 1 persons needs is a little ridiculous. I hope before anyone else bad mouths a company they have the facts and weights the situation fairly.  Thank you D. Malchow

Tom

Well, Mr. Malchow,

I guess that takes care of that.  I feel dutifully chastised.

I also hope that you understand, as an entrepreneur, that your customers are small businesses too.  When they aren't sawing, they make no money.  When they make no money, they buy no products from you nor make their own payroll.  Who knows, feeding the family may even suffer.  To keep a happy customer base, sometimes you have to bite a bullet and give a man a hand.

I'll assure you that I've done business with two manufacturers who are sponsors on this forum and both have bent over backward on occasion to make sure I had parts on a timely basis.   Wood Miser has sent me parts, for free,  that I didn't even order because they felt that they had designed a better mouse trap and they didn't like the first one.   A company that cares that much about my success and my up-time gets my business with no arguments or shopping around.

Paul_H

Dawn,
I tried to choose my words carefully so I did not bad mouth Mobile Mfg but see you didn't offer the same courtesy.
I spoke of a real problem that I've had with Mobile Mfg and when I talked to you this morning,you agreed.This has been ongoing and I think what I proposed was fair and nothing more than you've expected from me.

I have put my money out and have waited for 4 weeks to receive shipment.When I spoke to Ron on Dec 16th,I specifically asked that it was shipped out  by UPS.When I called the next week,I was disappointed to hear that Ron sent it out US mail.
I would suggest that if Mobile Mfg was put in the same situation and their factory was down for a month waiting for parts to arive by mail,there would be some howling going on.

I did not ask that the parts be sent out by mail. >:(

raycon

Tough call MobileMfg.

If I were to have 60 days of down time due to shipping -- I'd be unemployed. Heck thats a 1/6th of the year.

Lot of stuff..

Paul_H

Didn't even spell my name right. :)

Funny thing is,I've put in two phone calls to Dawn or Ron today as well as a e-mail and until 5:00 tonight was waiting for a return call to see what we could do but didn't hear back.This situation didn't just happen,I've been looking for help for a couple of weeks now.

Come on Dawn and Ron,give me a call and let's get me sawing again

Jeff

QuoteI hope before anyone else bad mouths a company they have the facts and weights the situation fairly.  Thank you D. Malchow

I saw this thread and used the "send topic" function  to Mobile Dimension thinking what a time for them to publicly help a customer in need and show some great customer service to the sawmilling community. I did it because I knew the problem was well worded and not condemning or badmouthing but a search for help and a search for advice from people that might have like experience.

Paul and several other owners on this forum have given Mobile Dimension some great visibility here over the years, again, I thought, what a great time for them to give a little back to their loyal customers and customer members of this forum.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jpgreen

Bob_T

Paul,

In the short term, just to get your mill up and running, what about trying to get your existing magneto repaired locally?  Many of them are almost generic and the same ones, or the same parts are used on many different engines.  I don't think you need to get magnetos or magneto parts from the mill manufacturer.

You'd still have to yank on that rope starter, at least until the mail finally shows up.

Bob
1959 FWD Model 286 Dump Truck
1955 Allis Chalmers HD-6G Crawler Loader
1941 GMC CCKW 6X6
Wood-Mizer LT30 G18

HORSELOGGER

Paul, maybe you could just sell your mill to someone that isnt all knotted up about trivial things like customer service and parts availability, and buy a new D& L double cut mill. I bet Lindsay would appreciate your business ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Paul_H

Bob T,
the mag is a Wico and from conversations with Ron from Mobile Mfg,he concluded that the impulse drive was toast and he said they are not a servicable item. It makes sense because the impulse drive to my understanding,controls the retarding and advancing of the timing.

To start the mill last few days,I would have to loosen the bolt that holds the mag and retard the engine or it would snap the rope right out of my hands(it's a 4 cyl with good compression) Once the engine was running,I'd advance the engine til it sounded right and then tighten the bolt.The problem with doing it this way is I wouldn't shut it down and would fuel the engine and load logs on the mill with two sharp spinning blades close by.
Eventually I couldn't even start it that way.

HORSELOGGER,

I think you're right there.I've had the pleasure of meeting Lindsey from D&L Doublecut and he took time from his day and gave me and my family a great tour of his factory.It would be hard to imagine something getting out of hand like this with him.

getoverit

Just to give you some perspective, I ordered some parts and supplies from a forum sponsor yesterday. When I checked my e-mail later on yesterday, I had 4.... count them...4 shipping notifications, and then 3 cancellations. I also recieved an e-mail from them giving my credit card a refund on part of the shipping costs. They had tried 4 different ways to get me the lowest rate they could, and finally found one that saved me enough for a whopper meal deal at burger king.

For that I am grateful, and will gladly do business with them again in the future. Better still 10% of my purchase goes to help support THIS forum.

Good Job Captain  ;)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Jason_WI

http://www.magnetoparts.com/wico_rot.htm

Not sure if this helps. Hard to know what mag you have as you didn't specify an engine make.

:P Somebody forgot rule #1 as a business owner: The customer is always right.

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Paul_H

Jason,
it's a Wico and it has a Prestolite #   Spec,    xvd-2311  serial,  29 9

I am going to go to work for a logging company for a couple of days so I won't be around.I hope that I hear from Ron,and I really hope that Dawn is acting alone in her unprofessional response here.
When I left the messages this afternoon,it was with a lady named Leah,both time I called.She was polite and told me that Ron and Dawn were both busy but she would have them return my call.

I realise now that Dawn was registering on the forum and typing up a post while I was on the phone to Leah asking for Dawn.

What a day!

Thank You Sponsors!