iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new Wood-Mizer Sharpener Came Yesterday!!

Started by jpgreen, January 18, 2006, 02:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

My new blade sharpener came from wood-mizer yesterday .. Man- what a big box..  :o

The sales guy told me it comes with 3 cams, and it only came with 2..  >:( >:( >:(

Now- I gotta learn how to use this thing.  I was reading through the manual and it said you could only get about 3 sharpenings out of a .045 x 1 1/4" blade for an average of 800 board feet per?

Is that right?  I thought you could get about 6 sharpenings out of em'?  TimberWolf claims you can get 8-10 out of their blades.

What's the Skinny?  ??? :-[
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Tom

The skinny is how anal you want to be about sharpening and how much sawing you want to do.

If you cut 50 feet between sharpenings, I'll bet you could get 20 sharpenings.

I get 3-5 usually.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.  It depends on what you are cutting and how hard you push the blade and how long it remains on the saw.   I've had a few that I sharpened until they were too narrow to run without major re-dialing in of the saw.  Life's to short for that and I retired them.  Mostly I break them.  That's a pretty good indication that you got the "goodies" out of a blade.

I think you will find that WM's 13'2"  .042 blade will have a life of about 2000 to 3000 Board feet, give or take.  You will probably be looking at 500 or 600 feet between sharpenings, though 800 is fairly common.  One Thousand is pushing it.

Don't worry about the sharpenings.  That doesn't make you production.  Worry more about what you can get from the blade without changing it or punishing it too much.   I don't know why folks are so concerned about how many sharpenings they can get.   Sharpening doesn't pay very good when you are the sawyer.

jpgreen

Tips respectfully noted Tom.

I stand corrected.

It DID come with 3 cams. The only complaint I have so far is they need to deburr this monster in the shop.  Holy cow! I cut myself on an edge already.  Man- that's not good..  :'(

Also, I noticed on the cams the cut edge is real rough. Saw marks and bumps.  Wouldn't that make for a rough sharpen?  Seems to me you would want that cam smooth, so it would grind up and down the blade smooth?

These forums gotta drive manufacturers crazy because consumers can instantly post good and bad feedback to thousands of readers.

I'm going to post the info, because if it was my product, I would want to know and correct the problem.

And Hey- I paid $1670 shipped for this peice of gear, and for that much money, I would expect things like deburring, and smooth edges on cams to be included...   :)

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

GF

I would imagine the cams should be smooth, the cams I order from another manufacturer are very smooth.  Pictures would be nice.

Jeff

Yep.  Pictures will get answers.

As for sharp edges, I gotta giggle as this is a bandsaw sharpener and you better get real used to sharp edges.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

GF

Quote from: Jeff B on January 18, 2006, 04:26:38 PM
Yep. Pictures will get answers.

I have to agree, pictures are worth 1000 words.

beenthere

Quote from: jpgreen on January 18, 2006, 04:10:47 PM............And Hey- I paid $1670 shipped for this peice of gear, and for that much money, I would expect things like deburring, and smooth edges on cams to be included...   :)

The charge would be more if they do more work.......... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jpgreen

My camera is not very good, but I hope these come close to showing the rough cut marks, and the out of round cuts where they started or stopped the cut.  They should have been put on a bench belt sander (or disk)- squared and smoothed the edges before they were plated.

Now if I true these up I will at least loose the plate galvanizing, and I will have to remove quite a bit of material to square, round, and smooth the cam.  Will this through the sharpening off?

Or maybe that bump, or cut start is supposted to be there?  What do I know?..  :o  I'm just askin' questions.  Not trying to slam WM.

jpgreen

jpgreen

I took a file to the burrs on the sharpener.

The only place they had burrs were on the cut aluminum  sheet metal flip down cover, and the coolant resevior.

I woulda been ready for sharp edges on a blade Jeff, but not on the machine..  ;D

Wouldn't be a big deal if I was using OPM- "Other Peoples Money"..  :) :D 8) :D :)

beenthere

Regards the cams, is it possible some of that is in the design for a reason to lift and drop the grinding wheel for the right 'grind' ?  I'd suggest sharpening some blades and see if there is a negative effect to the 'rough' surface you see. Just curious here.

Good pics
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I just ran out to the shed and took a picture of one of mine, that I know work perfectly and they look the same.

jpgreen

Checking them futher, I've noticed that they're not all identicle.  One has the bump more than the others.  One has a ding, that's kind of a bump.  Some have some pretty deep cut marks, that are rough, and create flt spot.  Maybe- non of this effects operation..  :)

I know I'm being a pain in the butt..  :D

jpgreen

Jeff- we had posted at the same time.

Those marks are the rather smooth ones, but what I'm talking about is the bump at about 7:00 in my first picture, and then the other cut marks are way deeper than what those in your picture show.

Did ya have to run out in the snow?  It's snowin' here..  ;D :D

Chris Burchfield

Guys & Gals, those look to have been cut with a plasma cutter. Probably on a CNC unit. Keep in mind, the surface cut with a plasma or cutting torch is harder than the under laying material. You can get a sharp edge from the torch/cutter side. I'm not overly experienced but have used both. I had a slight bit of slag with the plasma cutter on the bottom side. This could be knocked off with a file or flap disk on a corner grinder.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Gilman

The cams are cut with a plasma torch, the finish you see is normal.  Since the cam follower is a large roller bearing, those little bumps won't effect the performance.  If the cam follower was a thin bar like on swiss lathes, the roughness would be an issue.

Have fun learning to use it.

Read some of Tom's posts on sharpening.  I learned a lot from them.

Can you post us a picture of what a brand new grinder looks like?  I've never seen one, mine was bought used, very used.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

jpgreen

We aim to please..  ;D

Had to get it off the counter before Mrs. Green got home..   :D

Jeff

I dont know how that will ever work right. Mine has rust and scale and filings and grunge and filth all over it. I thought you had to have all that to make it sharpen right as mine does a bang up job I am afraid to clean it.

Tom

Wow!  I've never seen one look so bright and shiny.   

It'll be like a new car.  You'll be OK as soon as you get the first scratch.  ;D

chet

Jp,
keep dat picture so you can remember what dat sharper looked like. Given a little time it won't look quite da same.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

ElectricAl

JPGreen,

Make sure you use anti seize on anything that disassembles.

When we sold our first WM sharpener, I had to cut the blade support arms off to ship.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Jeff

I may brave da snow and ice and go get a photo of how they gotta look to work right.  I may have the ugliest one yet. Maybe we oughta have a contest? :D

gmmills

jp,

Don't grind that nub off that 13/29 cam. It is supposed to be there.  That thing looks so nice .  We will need to see it after you've use it some. That way we will no longer be so envious.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

jpgreen

Heck-

I didn't buy it to use it..  :o  for cryin' out loud... my LT40 neither.

I just wanted to be a member of...

The Foresty Forum.. Sheesh.  8) 8) 8) :) :D :) 8) 8) 8)

woodbowl

Quote from: Jeff B on January 18, 2006, 08:49:41 PM
I may brave da snow and ice and go get a photo of how they gotta look to work right.  I may have the ugliest one yet. Maybe we oughta have a contest? :D

Ugly WM sharpener contest ............. Oh Boy!   8)  Where's my camera at?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Tom

I'm not proud of it, but not ashamed either.  It's a real workhorse.  :)

jpgreen

Jeff

OK., its blurry but I aint going back out there. BRRRR. It actually looks pretty good now cause I gave it a good going over before it got cold and i put my mill away.

woodbowl

This is about a years worth of grindings other than some chipping every few weeks.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

chet

Youse guys gotta learn ta take better care of yur tools.  :o
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

woodbowl

Quote from: Chet on January 18, 2006, 10:33:25 PM
Youse guys gotta learn ta take better care of yur tools.  :o

Whut's a matter with em?

Jeff

Chet sits out there with a toothbrush and rubbing compound. I saw it.

Tom

Mine's got the better part of  15 years on it and starting a 16th year. 

We're two, beat-up, old war horses.  :D

getoverit

Quote from: woodbowl on January 18, 2006, 10:18:42 PM

I think woodbowl wins so far... he got extra points for having the instructions written on the coolant pan in hyroglyphics :D :D :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Jeff

Ya, now I wish I hadn't cleaned mine up. Just like with antiques, ya lose the patina, ya lose the value. :-\

Well, I woulda won. smiley_smug01

Bibbyman

Tip, 

The motor used to turn the cam on the grinder is the same one used to power the blade guide arm in and out - also the debarker in and out and the dragback arm up and down.  So if one goes out on your mill,  you can borrow one from the sharpener until a replacement arrives.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

jpgreen

I noticed that Bibby.  That's a Leeson right?

But of course you actually have to USE your equipment..   :D

Gilman

Thanks JP.

Tom, it looks like you've been grinding red clay.   :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Tom

That's a special protective coating that I keep on most of the metal parts.  It's called nglct5000.  :D :D

jpgreen

Hmmm... I want some of my own nglct5000? Can I get that at Home Depot?..  ??? ??? ???

:D :D :D

Tom

I could sell you some, but it's as much a service as a product so it'd be  better if I trained you. :D :D

VA-Sawyer

I believe that 'nglct5000' is the byproduct of neglecting your sharpener for 5000 blades !
I need to find the pictures of my used sharpener when I bought it. About on par with Tom's, but it looks much better now.

Tom

Do you wax it before you go to bed too?  ;D :)

VA-Sawyer

Tom,
Compared to the picture of yours, mine looks pretty good now. Compared to the picture of jpgreens' NEW one, mine looks pretty bad. I don't have time for waxing......
VA-Sawyer

Tom

jpgreen

My aunt always sprayed PAM on her weedeater to make for an easy cleanup.

Will that work in my sharpener too?..  :D

Tom

It may, I've never tried it.   I've heard that it can get rancid.

Spray White Lithium Grease sure does a good job of protecting it though. 

chet

Somehow dat don't look like White Lithium Grease dats coverin' yur sharpener Tom.   :D

getoverit

what ever it is on Tom's sharpener seems to attract and grow these HUGE mosquitos. I think its some kinda mosquito fertilizer, but he kept it hidden the day I visited his sharpening shed :D :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

highpockets

There is a spray stuff at the welding supply that is to keep the hot metal from sticking. I use it with my wire welder but can't remember what the name is.  Smells like Granny's bacon gease. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

woodbowl

It sounds like everyone is wet sharpening.  I haven't wet sharpened in almost a year! ......  I've switched over to a different rock that uses a grade lower binder with hard particals and it cleans itself as it sharpens. I've not had any problems with burned tips or accelerated stone wear. I get a razor sharp tip and I'm able to turn the wick up on the sharpener to approx. 90 teeth per minute. There's not a big cloud of dust around the work and so far the sharpener is not a grody mess like in my previous pics. I'll try to take some new pics  of it And best of all, I don't have to contend with water everywhere, that is why it's rusting away. I'm thinking about sandblasting it now and coating it with a good primer.  I was persuaded to switch over several years ago but just didn't believe it could be as good as fluid. Got another problem though, since the squirrels can't get their water from my pan of coolant, eth. glyc. I seem to have a a bigger population of them.  :-\

jpgreen

Now that's interesting.

The Suffolk people told me they had a better dry stone.  IN fact I ordered a stone from them for the Woodmizer, but I think it was for wet.  If a stone is fine enough, and you're just truing up an edge, your blade shouldn't get hot. I sharpen my own drill bits on a fine bench grinder stone, and never let it get hot.

I would think if you were trying to salvage a bugger, then you would want to use coolant.  Maybe that's the ticket... run the machine dry on maintenance sharpenings, and run coolant on old blades that need a lot of work, damaged blades, etc.

Have you guys checked Suffolk/Timberwolf lately?  I gotta say they have a good case for taking a look at their tools and blades.  I could see where you would not have much luck if you just bought one of their blades and throw it on the machine using as you would others.  You would have to follow their whole theory with band blades, starting with the wheels, tension, guides, set, hook etc., etc.  Their instructional video is very impressive, and informative. They go farther into the science of these machines and cutting than any manufacturer I've seen yet.

You guys with steel drive wheels- having trouble with tracking, they have a fix for you.  They should be a sponsor here.

Kirk_Allen

Wow, never would have guessed that was a sharpener. Never seen mine look like that  ;D

VA-Sawyer

OK, Kirk, I gotta ask, which picture are you refering to. The good, the bad or the UGLY ?

VA-Sawyer

jpgreen

Kirk_Allen

I was refering to jp's.  I got my sharpener used and it was in great shap but to see a new one blows me away. Any best on how long it stays shiny ;D

Thank You Sponsors!