iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tractor for small time logging

Started by snowman, January 18, 2006, 08:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowman

I'm looking for a tractor to log my 40 acres. Don't need high production just want to drag stuff to my sawmill.My trees avg 12 inch DBH and most of my skiddings downhill but not real steep. Great system of old skid trails are already in so moving dirts not a problem. At the moment im thinking 40 hp is what i need but they arn't cheap. Anyone ever try light logging with a small tractor like 20 - 30 hp? I also need it to be able to handle a backhoe attachment. My concern is id tear up a small tractor trying to drag logs so if any of you have experience with this micro logging thing id appreciate input.

isassi

All depends on budget. If I were you, and had no other use for the tractor (like agriculture work), I would search e-bay and locals for an older backhoe like an early 530 Case, ect. Gas engine and direct drive, low maintenance and they will hold there value. When you are done, sell it...My 530 will move about anything with one downside: groundclearance under the backhoe unit...but like I was always told, you can't have everything.  ;)

Ironwood

8N ford with a front loader (for counter balance), there are hoes out there for these as well. They are cheap and take some abuse. They are everywhere! Also, try to find a Sherman Hi lo Aux. tranny ($500 usually) I have drug lots with mine. GOOD CHEAP TRACTOR. Bullet proof clutch, I've easily toasted newer tractors clutches. Parts are Cheap Cheap, Electronic ignitions are out there and 12 volt conversions are easy. Reid

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Max sawdust

I have a John Deere 855 wich is a 24 HP Yamar Diesel.  I keep it on very level ground and do not drive it off trail with a load.  I have a Farmi winch to skid log length or tree length to the trail where I pick them up in a modified bucket to be stacked at the landing.  Personally I do not like skidding larger logs behind the tractor, the flip over factor on hills scares me.  I have much better control with the bucked log in the bucket.

For what you are looking at doing I would consider getting a winch.  If you have too you can then get away with a smaller tractor, but if you have the funds get the 40HP you will not regret more HP.

My thoughts on the ideal set up for micro logging would be: 30-40 Hp tractor Farmi winch on the front, small forestry trailer with grapple on the back.
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Burlkraft

The 8N's are a great little tractor.....Built like a tank.

With the right leverage you can do just about anything.

I have a friend who has a 30 horse Kubota w/loader and an arch and he moves some huge wood with that :) :) :)

He can't lift it but he sure can move it ;) ;) ;)

The Farmi winch is also a great suggestion
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Cedarman

Get as big a tractor as you can afford.  I would recommend 45 to 55 horsepower.  There are a lot of good used tractors some 30 years old that will work fine.  A logging winch will pay great dividends in time saved and protecting the woods.  Also make sure you build a heavy duty roof and roll bar over the seat.  All it takes is for one pulled log to hit a tree with a dead top that comes down on the tractor to make a believer.  Also, make sure its wide front end.  Make an expanded steel mesh to cover the front to keep bent poles from skewering the radiator.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

slowzuki

Almost anything over 20 hp will drag a 12" dbh log in dry conditions.  I recommend a logging winch for the 3 point hitch.  If you are clearcutting on level ground you could go with a grapple on the hitch instead.

I use a 50 hp kubota for my own logging work with a borrowed farmi winch.  I pull from the tops, in snow I can drag about 1/2 to 2/3 the weight of the tractor, on dry ground I can drag almost the tractor weight.

If I choke the butts and lift I can drag even more than the tractor weight but I prefer pulling from the tops since they winch with less hangups.

nurseb

I logged 10 acres of pine with a 19hp kubota about 10 years ago.   I'm doing a fuels reduction  project now where I am using the same tractor to yank out  fir and pine dbh 6" and 40 ft tall.   Kubotas are amazing!!!!!   I weave in and out of very tignt spots with that little rig.  It leave no ruts even in fairly wet ground.  I am skidding down hill however.   Any tractor is better than no tractor.  Any 4x4 will likely be better.  A 4X4 with loader better still.  A 4x4 with winch and grapple better still.  Intelligence, finesse, and patience combined with even small tractors can do amazing things!!! 

That said, I'd give careful thought to what and how much I wanted to do.   How much logging will you do?   HOw much log yard work?  Will you be farming at all or feeding livestock?  How much income are you generating?  Do you need to expense the tractor in one year or are you going to depreciate it?   When I get all my digging done, road work done, etc I'd like to be using a 50-60 hp with grapple and winch.  Till then I'm using a JD 555 

woodmills1

I have a kioti LK3054  30.5 hp 4 wheel drive.  Could I use more power......of course.....does it do a good job.....yes it does.  I dont skid though cause I have a metavic forwarding trailer that I tow.  Don't know what your budget is but check out payeur.com.  They package the kioti's with the metavic setting the tractors up with skid plates, FOPS and more.  If you can find one used at the right price like I did you will get good production.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ironwood

Woodmills,

My Dad has that tractor. It is the one I smoked the clutch on. I wish new tractors could be as well made as my old 8N. My Dad has had some other issues as well, castings and such. I snaped the rear main pin on a Kioti Backhoe rental unit (it was cast!!! What the #$%% is that about) I haven't been real impressed with most newer tractors quite frankly and some the parts are OUTRAGOUSLY EXPENSIVE, for that matter even costly on some older ones. I have big arms and a small budget, GIVE AN 8N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Grappletractor

Snowman ,,,

What you need is something just like I have .......

picture exceeds forum limit
please use Forum Gallery

I would not try the case 530 w/ the 31 backhoe attachment for logging, ground clearence too low plus no protection for YOU unless you made some kind of hood for it that could take a large tree falling on it .

Grappletractor

This is a Massey Ferguson 31 with a Timberwolf factory installed logging attachment . Can easliy unbolted to return tractor to original condition.As you can see it has a grapple but not easliy seen is the winch.
DELETED BY ADMIN

DELETED BY ADMIN

Here's the winch
DELETED BY ADMIN
pictures exceed forum limit
please use Forum Gallery

slowzuki

That massey is interesting, never seen or heard of one before set up like that.  Still looks like it would get stuck pretty easy, what type of ground do you run it on?

I'm from and area where skidders get stuck sometimes although they can obviously pull themselves out usually.

Grappletractor

More pics of Mr. Grapple The Beast  :D

PICTURE LINKS DELETED

pictures exceed forum limit
please use Forum Gallery

Grappletractor

Quote from: slowzuki on January 18, 2006, 01:45:23 PM
That massey is interesting, never seen or heard of one before set up like that.  Still looks like it would get stuck pretty easy, what type of ground do you run it on?

I'm from and area where skidders get stuck sometimes although they can obviously pull themselves out usually.

It would not be too good in swampy ground. If stuck I believe the winch could assist in getting her out. I cleared my lot for the new house with her and the grapple gripped onto a couple of 18 and better dia logs each some 70 feet or better in length and she pulled em down the hill pretty good .

Ironwood

Snowman,

Actually, contact Dangerous Dan he has a NICE Massey with a loader. No three point, but truely nice. Price is good. He had it listed in the for sale section.

Reid

RSteiner

I used a Ford 8N and a Farmi winch for over 25 years of weekend logging and firewood gathering.  As many have already said it works real well in that role.  The center of gravity is low enough to take into the woods without having to worry about side hills and uneven ground.  If you cna find one equiped with a Sherman Hi-Lo transmission you will have a very nice machine.

The one draw back in using any farm tractor in the woods is a good cage over and around the operator.  Also, a floor pan to protect the operator from being speared from the ocassional stem that finds it way up is a good idea.  When pushing trees and brush with the loader many people have been smacked in the head by a branch or stem that slips off the bucket and up the loader arm, a good freind just about ended his life that way.

I now have a 30 HP Kubota with the same Farmi winch.  Four wheel drive is nice along with power steering but the one thing the newer tractors lack is weight an important ingredient when looking for traction.  Also the modern compact utility tractors do not have the wider wheel base as the older farm tractors of the same horse power, or less did.  This makes them a little less stable on uneven ground and side hills.

I do not know of one person who was ever sorry for buying a bigger tractor.  The older iron holds its value pretty good, the prices will sometimes seem pretty high.  Check out the used market there are some good deals out there.

Randy
Randy

Murf

Grappletractor's pictures of, well, errr, his grapple tractor   :D  bring up a very good point, one Reid touched on too.

The tractor in the pics has a massive frame that connects directly to the equally beefy rear axle housing.

If you use a standard, compact or small tractor for hauling logs, chances are the pull will be from the 3pth, and since you are trying to hoist and drag at the same time, a good part of the pull-power comes from the upper link.  ::)  This is not good.

The upper link is designed to be pushed against, not pull on. It will take relatively little pull-power compared to what the tractor is capable of producing to rip it off the tractor.  :o

I've seen those upper brackets ripped off from as little as hitting a frozen bump of dirt while clearing snow with a rear blade. It has no more strength than the cumulative shear strength of the few bolts that hold it in place.

The older tractors were a little stronger, but it's still pretty easy to bust them doin it wrong.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Grappletractor

Hey, you laughing at Grapple ? I'll put her up against some of these wimppy looking little modern tractors any day . :D

Murf

Laughing? Me? At poor ole' Grappie? Perish the thought!  :D

The only adjective I used was massive.  ;D

Nothing but tractor envy there.  ;)

Obviously built in a day when a dollar went further, and steel & diesel was cheaper though.  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

wesdor

To address your original question - will a small tractor do the job you want?  (or something like that).

I bought a John Deere 4310 a year ago and have been using it to do much of what you describe.  (nothing bigger than 12 dbh and easy trails).  So far it has done a fine job.  I was going to suggest you look at a Kioti as well, but someone else has covered that.

A couple of suggestions.   First, be sure to get 4wd.  Second, I would want a gear drive tractor.  I probably am way too old school, but the hydrostatic drive just doesn't seem up to doing the kind of work I perceive you will be doing.  

Now if you could lay your hands on a grapple tractor cheap - that would really be a great answer - at least in my opinion.  Most of all, I'm hearing you say you have a lmited budget and that describes my situtaion as well.

Good luck.

beenthere

wesdor
I wouldn't turn away from the HST transmission, as I get along great with my Deere4300 in the woods pulling out logs, (and bigger than 12 dbh).  :) I used to have a gear transmission and could get around just fine with that too. But the HST is much handier to manuever, IMO.  The 4310 has the HST with the ehydro which will not let one kill the engine with overload.

The tractor that I have is not 'dressed' up well for woods work, and serious damage can happen to sticks poking into the underbelly and hooking hydro lines, and things.  A serious belly pan is needed for a better woods tractor, but so far I pick carefully where I go and avoid, if possible, driving over cut tops and brush.  But doesn't take much for a tire to kick up a stick and place it in the most tender spots on a tractor. Part of the game of logging with one.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

slowzuki

I'll add my 2 cents, my kubotas a hydro and not prepped for woods work. 

Using a winch and paying attention when cutting your skid trails you can keep any tractor looking new.

Try to use a chain and you have to put your machine places it likely shouldn't go.  It will get worked over worse than a little drunky mouthy guy who spits in the bouncers face.

The HST is nice in the woods.  No jerking, nice smooth movements.  Gear tranny is nice too.  If you can get R-4 industrial tires they usually have a much heavier case.  Ag tires tend to get popped on slash or small stumps.

Don't drive over slash.  You do it a few times and you get lazy, it will rip anything and everything off the underside.  You may not notice until your PS stops working after your idling tractor pumped the fluid out.

Using a winch and compact tractor 3 point hitches.  Pulling from the high point for heavy loads is a no-no, try to use the lower pulley.  When draging the logs out use the pull bar slots or lower pulley.

Have fun and be safe!

Larry

I dunno...my 100 HP 4020 JD didn't do a good job...to big and not nuff traction.  My 550 Oliver (similar to Ford 8-9 n's except the motor is on steroids) didn't do a good job either.  My 27 HP 4wd 1720 Ford doesn't do a good job...but does manage to get it done.  Up to 18" dbh tree length.  Somebody got an additional 30 hp and maybe another 1,500 pounds to add to it?  Suspect it would be perfect than.

Few pictures in my gallery.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=527
Don't have a picture of my winch there...but if you do a search you will probably find a pic that I posted.

Spent today whacking off walnut trees and winching em out to my skid trails.  Gonna spend the day tomorrow skidding with the little 1720 so if ya want a pic let me know.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

maple flats

I have used a 20 HP Ford 1500 4 x 4 ( about 2800 lbs as I have it plus the extra weights I add when needed) with a lot of extra weight when needed on the front(I have 99# always on the front bumper and have a bar that I add up to 200# more for heavy pulls, I don't leave weight on, no power steering and if not pulling too hard to steer) no loader. You do need to be real careful because flipping is a real possibility. I now use a 3 point log arch and have pulled whole trees with it if done as soon as the fall, limb them and pull @ up to 21" big end. I have no belly pan but it would be a good idea. When I pull, big or small I keep one hand on the lift arm control and keep my left foot on the trans case just above the clutch pedal. I also drag with 2 chains, 1 around the log for the arch to drag and a second from the fixed drawbar to to bottom of the log where it hooks to the other chain. I have chains on all four wheels and thus can pull a lot. Before I had the chains I could only pull about 1/2 the load I do now. As I pull I keep the log just off the ground and am always adjusting height as i drive. Not the best or easiest but this is all I have for now. I still occasionally get one hung up while dropping a tree where i need to borrow my brother's ASV with tracks, 70 HP and a log winch the we both own. My tractor does not have enough power to run the winch and I certainly could not carry the winch AND hook to a log and pull it. The only way I can do them this big now is with the log Arch which helps keep the weight real close to the back of the tractor. If I try to pull a heavy one and lift it very high the front spins without and weight on it, must keep the arms lower. This being said 20 HP is not very good for this. I do suggest 30 as a better choice for minimum. Oh, my extra weight is a pipe i mounted to the tractor on the front pipe on which I add 4-50# weight lifting plates?spring clamp, easy on easy off. My ground has almost no rocks and a lot of low spots, mostly black muckish stuff. I can not pull these areas during most of the year but mid winter and late summer I can. The rest of the time I must keep up a foot or 2 above the low spots and use more chain until I get it close enough to eliminate the extra chain.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Max sawdust

Quote from: beenthere on January 18, 2006, 05:04:32 PM
wesdor
I wouldn't turn away from the HST transmission, as I get along great with my Deere4300 in the woods pulling out logs, (and bigger than 12 dbh).  :) I used to have a gear transmission and could get around just fine with that too. But the HST is much handier to manuever, IMO.  The 4310 has the HST with the ehydro which will not let one kill the engine with overload.

Ya I am with the HST guys  with a small tractor you make a lot of trips and and HST is the way to go, at least for me.
4x4 is very good too.  If I was more handy I would find an older tractor they have a wider footprint and more steel ;D 
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

thecfarm

I would hate to go into the woods with anything smaller than my 40 hp Ford 4 wheel drive tractor with a winch with a loader.I've done it with a NAA Ford,little bigger than an 8-9n,was a pain most of the time.Yes,it's costly new,but used can be found,just takes time.I prefer the gear tranny too.I have a small  kubata with a HST that I would love to unload on someone.Works good for what I use it for,but not in the woods.If going looking at new,beware,most sales people will give you a big speak on how a 20-30 hp tractor can haul big logs.Not all the time they can't.Takes weight to haul log out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

I'd love to have something like Mr Grapple the Beast.  That'd suit my needs to perfection 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ironwood

DANGEROUS DAN has someones tractor!!!! Beefy MASSEY priced right! I wish I didn't already have one or I would be all over that puppy. Reid

slowzuki

Weight is important of course, but the 3 point winch does a good job of reeling stuff in.  It can pull stuff in that would surprise you when working the small end.  I find it hard to drag stuff from the big end, a simple root can jump my 6000 lb or so tractor up into the air.  The small end rarely gets caught.

I've never skidded stuff without a front end loader on but I suspect it would be sketchy.  When skidding in really slippery stuff I pick up a couple of thousand pounds of stuff with the forks to give the front end some traction and steering.

Ohio_Bill

Hear is another Big old Massey Ferguson .  Was cheap and a lot safer than my farm tractor .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

slowzuki

Skidders are pretty pricy around here.  A local fellow is selling an old gas one on here but I hate working on gas engines.  One reliable engine is plenty for me.  If I could I'd bushhog my lawn a few times a summer to avoid owning a lawnmower.  String trimmer is next worse on my hit list ;D

My sister bought some sheep this fall, maybe I can borrow some to fight the grass!

But for sure an old skidder is way better than a tractor for logging.

woodmills1

I just did a search for used metavic log trailers and found a kioti dk50 with a big metavic log trailer from 2003, but it is 67,000 canadian. :o :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Grappletractor

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on January 19, 2006, 08:08:37 PM

Hear is another Big old Massey Ferguson .  Was cheap and a lot safer than my farm tractor .

Bill, What did you have to pay for that fine looking peice of equipment. I'll trade ys Masseys  ;D

Ohio_Bill

I bought it about  3 years ago for  6000  and it sure has made getting logs out of the wood a lot more safe .I t weighs  about  18000 .  so it only cost about  33 cents a pound .   :D
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Ironwood

WOW nice buy Ohio-bill. I like when you equate purchases to a pound rate (usually means a great bargin was had).Reid

ironmule2004

I use a New Holland 5610-S 4x4 which is around a 78hp.  I have a hydraulic grapple on the back that opens up to 44 inches.    I probably don't need this much H.P. but a heavier machine would be a much rougher ride.  Sometimes my grapple  looses larger logs when I pull them tree length.  I am currently making a larger grapple that will open up to around 60 inches.   I also pull my Barko 160-A trailer mounted loader with a delimber around in the woods.  I use a trailer dolly to do this. 
     I would be fine with a 50-60 hp 4x4 tractor.  You can do a lot with these, especially if you put water in the tires.  I just usually like to have more than I need- just in case!   You may find that the better deals are on the larger machines in your area, depending on what everybody else is looking for.   If I had to drop down in horsepower to be able to get a 4x4 tractor I would definately do so.   

IronMule       

ksu_chainsaw

You might look for an older Farmall tractor.  Dad has a 706 diesel that I have used to drag logs out with the 3-pt, and it works fairly good.  Around here, a gas 706 runs around 5000, but it just depends on the season.  A favorite of all the farmers around here are the Farmall 560's- they run a loader good and are fairly heavy.  Dad rebuilt that 706 so its about a 100 hp tractor now, with 2 sets of hydraulics and has weighted rear tires and about 10 suitcase weights on the front.  I drug a few 36" dia cottonwoods out of a waterway that were around 30-40 feet long, and had no problems.

The neighbor also have several old 4wd masseys that work very good for farm tractors- just a little big for what you are looking at.

Charles

Qweaver

To me, there are four important requirements. 1. that the tractor can be put on a trailer that I can pull behind my 3/4 ton GMC van.  2. That the tractor will lift and carry the largest log that I want to saw on my LT15.  3. That it is a TLB  4. That its a 4WD Diesel 

Once the tractor and everything else you want to haul gets above 7000 lbs  you end up with over 10000lbs of towed weight and you start needing a very large towing vehicle.   My nephew has a huge JD TLB with no way to move it around.  He bought a dump truck and is looking for a suitable trailer just so he can get it aroung to places he wants to work.  My kubota 3130 will lift a 24" x 16' log and carry it out of the woods OK but that is about the limit.  I wouldn't want to do that on a very steep slope.  I don't have a debarker so I'm just not going to skid. 

It seems to me that the tractor needs to be sized for the saw.   If you're only going to saw 20 to 22" dia. logs then a 30 HP tractor will do fine.  Of course not all 30 HP tractors are created equal.  The 34HP Kubota 3400 would not pick up my test logs while the 31HP 3130 did.  I do wish now that I had opted for the 3830 38HP model tho'   As I've said here before my old Ford 30 HP 1910 would out lift this new Kubota.
Quinton
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Wallys World

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I run a small operation on about 100 acres with a Wodmizer LT 15 as my mill. I use (believe it or not) a JD 445 sub-compact tractor (22hp) with a home made log arch behind it. You can see the arch in Independent Sawmill & Woodlot Management magazine June/July 2001. I also pull it with my JD 4 X 2 Gator, and my Kubota BX22 TLB with the hoe off and 3 pt hitch on. The arch is pulled by ball hitch. It can handle 28 inches in diameter. I usally don't pull over 16 feet long. With the weight on the arch the front stays planted pretty well. I'm working in the backwoods of Virginia and it's hilly. I run skidder type stud chains on the rears for xtra traction and front weghts. I've never got stuck yet, take my time and I can get them out. It is very low impact way of moving logs to the mill site. It all depends what you want to do and spend. 
Wally
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

slowzuki

Just a Q, is your loader the LA513 (513 kg lift) or the LA723 (723 kg lift)?  Many dealers put the lighter loader on to save $ when pricing out a machine.  The old Ford was likely 30 pto hp and the 3130 is 31 engine hp, only like 25 pto or so.  The older compact fords were a respected tractor for sure, the 2120 was a beast and loved by all who owned it.

The other note is if you have a quick attach on your loader it cuts lift capacity about 20% or more depending on what part of the arc you're in by both sticking your bucket/forks out further and just by weighing 120 lbs or so.  I notice this a lot with my pallet forks as they have chunky angle q/a plate that pushes them out even further.

Quote from: Qweaver on February 01, 2006, 01:51:39 PM
  Of course not all 30 HP tractors are created equal.  The 34HP Kubota 3400 would not pick up my test logs while the 31HP 3130 did.  I do wish now that I had opted for the 3830 38HP model tho'   As I've said here before my old Ford 30 HP 1910 would out lift this new Kubota.
Quinton
Quinton

beenthere

Wallys World
Can you post some pics of that Deere 445 haulin out logs?  I have that size, but never thought of it as a log hauler. Would like to see it.   :)  I use the Deere 4300 and expect to get some white oak out tomorrow.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Greg_B.

i have a branson 4020 . 40 hp 20 series =heavy duty frame, frt. end ldr.,and backhoe. i have had mine in some pretty steep hills,so i decided to have the industrial tires loaded. lost some flotation but a lot more stable. i try to carry my logs out with the loader,built a set of small forks from square tube steel about 24 inches long. they are mounted to the front bucket by two pieces of of square tube slightly larger so they can ba easily removed held in place with set screws. be sure to carry the load as low as possible or have a set of chains to secure log to bucket
. better safe then sorry!!!!!
Norwood mark 4;4020 Branson Tracter backhoe frt.lder; 18' dovetail trailer;Bri-Mar dump trailer 11,500 gross; Beefed-Up 2004 F-350 diesel; workshop full of woodworking tools. So many toys, eh tools so little time.

Ed_K

I have a model 30 w/loader, pics in my gallery.

This is my current operation for low impact logging.
If you can afford it, get 60 to 80 hp. They have the weight to be stable. My landini has problems if I move the tires  closer in to the center. Its 58 hp. w/loader 3pt fransguard winch and forestry trailer to haul 1/2 cord or 250 bf.
Ed K

snowman

Im looking at a century 38 hp ive been told its a branson under another name, anyone know about this?

beenthere

That should work as long as it is mechanically good. But as far as size and power, you should be in good shape.
As far as brand .......  can't answer that.
south central Wisconsin

Max sawdust

Quote from: Ed_K on February 01, 2006, 09:29:43 PM
I have a model 30 w/loader, pics in my gallery.

This is my current operation for low impact logging.
If you can afford it, get 60 to 80 hp. They have the weight to be stable. My landini has problems if I move the tires  closer in to the center. Its 58 hp. w/loader 3pt fransguard winch and forestry trailer to haul 1/2 cord or 250 bf.

Looks good to me.  Do ya use the bucket to load  the trailer or do you have a grapple?
Max
True Timbers

Greg_B.

snowman

century tractors are now sold under the zetor brand name. both branson and zetor formerly century are made in korea by kukje. for more info go to www.tractorbynet.com select forums then select  zetor century branson for more info then you can imagine. if i am not mistaken branson has 0% financing now. check www.bransontractor.com they come with different size frames go with the 20 series if you get a branson.

greg b

ps my 4020 branson has taken everything i throw at it  and keeps going 8) 8) 8)
Norwood mark 4;4020 Branson Tracter backhoe frt.lder; 18' dovetail trailer;Bri-Mar dump trailer 11,500 gross; Beefed-Up 2004 F-350 diesel; workshop full of woodworking tools. So many toys, eh tools so little time.

ironmule2004

If you buy a new one, one  thing to consider no matter what H.P. you decide on, is the weight of one machine compared to another.  When I bought my New Holland I looked at another machine also.  It weighed around 2000 lbs less than the one I bought.   You might say no big deal because you don't need a machine that weighs more.  Think about this though- the other machine I looked at was missing 2,000lbs of something.  To me 2,000 lbs is a a lot of Iron to not be somewhere in something.  I always consider this aspect with pickups or whatever I am buying, unless I have a specfic reason for something  to be lighter.

IronMule 

Wallys World

I finally got my pictures posted of our JD 445 & arch. Also we pull it with the Gator and the Kubota BX22 (no pics yet of BX). Works great and will do 28 inches easily. I have pulled 16 foot long 12 inch with no problem.
Wally
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

beenthere

Saw your pics in your gallery. A little more tweaking and you can get them bigger so they are easier to see.  :)
Hope you don't mind that I dragged one in here to show what that 'little' Deere can do.  ;D

That's a nice ash log.
south central Wisconsin

Wallys World

I get this place figures out sometime. Thanks for moving the picture. That 445 also pulls a Bush Hog SQ42 brush cutter. I'll go thru anything I can drive over, usally 2 inch is max. It takes a beating but holds up great.
Wally

Ed_K

Max, its hard to see but I have a Baileys loader on the front of the trailer. The grapple is laying on the logs. I also have a grapple from valbys that mounts on the front end loader for moving big logs. It can be set to pick up sideways or from the end to stack piles.

Beenthere, nice log trailer. I started off with a similar setup w/ 4x4 yamaha.
Ed K

beenthere

Ed K
Actually is Wallys World's log trailer, and I just posted it for him from his gallery. Hope we get some pics of that trailer. It looks well built and must pull easy to have the 'garden' tractor bringing in logs (although that class of garden tractor is a workhorse and has the 22HP Kawasaki gas engine in it, with fuel injection, water cooled).

Someone mentioned the potential for a unit like this, - that has hydraulics (two rams), hydrostatic forward/reverse, cruise control, and power steering - as a portable mill power source for moving through a log and hyd lift.  Seems to be worth pondering.
south central Wisconsin

Qweaver

QuoteJust a Q, is your loader the LA513 (513 kg lift) or the LA723 (723 kg lift)?  Many dealers put the lighter loader on to save $ when pricing out a machine.  The old Ford was likely 30 pto hp and the 3130 is 31 engine hp, only like 25 pto or so.  The older compact fords were a respected tractor for sure, the 2120 was a beast and loved by all who owned
it.

The Ford was 30 engine HP and 26 PTO HP. The loader is a GB2130 (max lift 1730lb at the pivot pin to 59") and the BH is a GB2175
I'm pretty well satified with the loader but the BH is built very well but just does not have enough boom power.    I need to be able to lift the back of the tractor with the back hoe and set it over.  It will bearly do this and only if I have no down pressure with the loader.   In defence of the Kubota, The Ford's Bradco backhoe had 3" cylinders while the Great Bend backhoe only has 2.5.  I my replace the boom cylinder with a 3" and see how it does.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

slowzuki

Many of the new machines won't pick up the rear with the hoe, I was surprised that the manuals even warn against trench crossing.  The Bigger dedicated machines like the L48 and L35 and the JD unit seem to have this ability still.

The LA853 on my machine can pick 2930 lb at the pin to 59" and I still find it isn't enough to get the biggest stuff moved.  I think something like a LA1302 would be a better size loader for logs.

Greg_B.

my 4020 branson would pickup the rear end of my tracter and shift from side to side before i had the rear industrial tires filled with fluid.

fronk327

While I am new to running a sawmill, I am not new to tractors. An 8n is a well built and economical tractor, and will pull a good size log if it is set up properly. I own an 8n and work for one of the largest internet tractor parts companies, ssbtractor.  The 8n is an amazing old tractor that has been around for 60 plus years. It was made when Ford really had a better idea. Parts both new and used are readily available. With a log arch you could pull all day long without consuming a lot of fuel.
First purchase and read an operators manual. Next I would put a bumper on the front, to prevent damage to the grill and radiator. I would put a draw bar with a draw bar lock across the lift arms on the 3 point hitch.
If you do not have a log arch you can use logging tongs along with the draw bar.  Also get a set of height stabilizer chains. These will take the load off of your hydraulic pump.
The draw back to using any of these old tractors is the fact that very few have roll over protection. If for some reason your tires get stuck or prevented from easily rotating, such as in the mud, or the tree you are pulling catches on something, the tractor(any tractor) can flip it self backwards.
When I read  the posts on sawmills, there are many that will tell you to always read the operators manual before using the sawmill. The same holds true for tractors, yet few posts make that reference. I do not mean to scare anybody who is exploring this option, but please know how to use your machine properly.
I guess my point is older tractors can be had for relatively low prices and be a real work and money saver, if you use them properly. Safety is always a factor.

Ironwood

I have had three separate 8N's here, all with loaders and have been GREAT tractors. TONS of safe and enjoyable work.

Ironwood

g_man

I have a 30 hp Kabota (L3010) with a Farmi winch and an ATI grapple on the bucket.
I take out fir, white pine and firewood. It is  not a problem with 12" dbh stuff. The
biggest concern is hills. You have to stay straight up and down if its steep. I use
straps and snatch blocks to pull at 90 degrees to a steep road. It is slow work
but I've taken out 24" pine. Then it is one log at a time. I use the grapple on my bucket
to load my dump truck for hauling to the mill. Very small operation but it gets done.

chevytaHOE5674

N's have their place in history and around the farm but I wouldn't take one in the woods IMO. Their front axles are very light duty and repeated loader use can stress and break it (parted 4-5 N's out in the last few years that suffered severe front end damage). And I just got done rebuilding the front end of my ferguson TO-30 (almost identical to an N) because of years of loader use. They also lack live hydraulics and live pto. Very few N's have ROPS, and many have been injured when the tractors go over.

If your going to truly use the tractor there are much better alternatives to the N with a similar price tag IMO.

timberfaller390

I totaly agree. I have worked on about every brand and age of tractor you can imagine and the N series as well as similar sized ferguson, international and pretty much any row crop model are too lite and have no place in the woods. I watched a friends uncle stand a JD model M straight up in the air when a log hung on a rock. This was on flat ground. He jumped off and killed the motor just as the tractor started to come of the ground(how he could think to do all that and not think to hit the clutch I'll never know) but by the time the engine was shut down it had the front end pointed skyward.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

steveforest

8N is not really geared very low and yes, must have roll over protection(ROPS). I've got a Ford 2110 38 HP 4X4 with loader. works great. Wish I had a winch, but I can buy a used skidder for not much more than a new winch.
Don't mess with success

captain_crunch

T-F 290
Reason clutch did not get disengauged was due to you have to push them foreward and when a Tractor rears up opperator is generalaly grapping at anything to stay on board and pushing a lever ahead just don't happen. This killed lots of people.
8&9 N fords don't have a very heavy front end for a loader but they done it for years. There are lots better choices now days but in yester year Ford made a version of them called a Woods Tractor had an arched front axle canopy and skid pans. I prefur a crawler for the brush farm tractors just don't have the stability for hills nor the tires to resist logging hazards but we use what we got just need to be aware of their limitations
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Green Wood

I use a newer 26 or 28 horse Kubota, BX series, with a bucket. I just chain around the drawbar and pick'em of the ground, It puls out two pretty big 16 footers and dosen't think twice. I could pull more but it wont fit on the drawbar I also pull out single 40 footers and it works fine for that. I also run ice chains on it and I think that helps alot.

Knute

I have used an Allis CA and WD for years. Extended the two lift arms and put a bar accross for lifting one end of the log. Have skidded logs 24"+.

Thank You Sponsors!