iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

calculator theft.

Started by jeff, May 06, 2001, 01:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Does anybody know this guy? check out this website. Two of the calculators that Ron and I spent many many hours designing have been placed on his website. Not linked to ours, but out and out copies with the copyright info stripped from the code and minor changes made to the appearance. The image of the little tool guy is still on there and still linked to www.timberbuyer.net!

Take a look!
http://dist.internetoutlet.net/frf/walnut1.htm

mainsite is http://dist.internetoutlet.net/frf

Anyone know anything about theft of intellectual property?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I don't recognize the name but since he put it on his page I think a quick note to let him know that you know is in order.  I wonder if his page is commercially built or homebuilt? Somebody doing it commercially should know better don't you think?

How did you find it Watson?

Jeff

Oh, I am pretty sure it was not commercially done.

Our site has a tracker on it. Any of you are free to look at it anytime you would like. It is at the bottom of everypage, just move your curser around until the link appears.

This tracker will not tell you exactly who someone is, but does give a good sense of where, how and why people come to this site. Things I need to know in order to provide content and make the site better. Anyways, there is a "by refferal" link that will tell how a person found you with a search engine. It creates a link back to the search engine that you can click on and see where the site came up in their request. Someone typed in "Log volumes" in www.google.com I clicked on it to see how our calculators were doing in that search engine. We were listed 1 but another site was listed 3 with the same search term.

Well I know from my previous research that there was nothing on the internet like our calculators previously, so I was curious to see what this guy had developed, so I went to his site. He has developed something all right. The calculators are free to use, free to save on your computer, and free to link to. This fellow decided he would take them and use them as his own.

Here is the copyright notice. that is in the code of each calculator: ( I have learned now, that since the 1970's, notice is not a requirement of copyright, neither is actual publication)

<!--// CREDITS:
// The following script and script ideas by: Programmer: Jeff Brokaw| Programmer: Paul Smith| Forester: Ron Wenrich
// Copyright (c) 2000 Jeff Brokaw, Paul Smith, Ron Wenrich
//This Script is only to be run from www.timberbuyer.net, or authorized sites. The script may be freely used on an individual computer as a desktop tool. Please report unauthorized use of this script on other sites to info@timberbuyer.net-->

If it was just text or something it would be different, but the calculators are a couple of the things that makes the Timber Buyers Network unique from other sites. This guy has succeded in stirring my interest in copyright law.

Gordon

That is not only wrong but dead wrong. This guy knows what is what, but he forgot one thing. To get rid of the little guy in the right hand side. I clicked on it and hit properities. Guess what, it's yours Jeff no ifs ands or buts.

I'd email this guy and also give him a phone call about it.
Gordon

Jeff

He also forgot to get rid of all the tracker code in the source code of the page. The tracker does not show up, but part of the code is on it that points to the Timber Buyers Network.

The way I look at it, this is no differant then if I entered his business and took one of his custom funitures. (Which I do like by the way) ;)

marty

Book em dano. Sorry jeff but always wanted to used that one.........marty :D

timberbeast

Jeff,  as a musician,  I know a bit about copyright laws.  You are correct that you do not have to register or even publish something to own the copyright to it,  but you must register it before you can take legal action.  It's cheap to do and these days might even be possible by email.  I'd email him and tell him he's using your property without your permission.  You have the necessary documentation to prove you did it.  You could even allow him to use it,  properly credited to you,  and charge him a fee per hit.  You can do whatever you want with it.  It's yours!
Where the heck is my axe???

RavioliKid

That sneak!

>:(

(I do think that whatever you work out ought to include you getting some of the furniture.)

RavioliKid

Texas Ranger

Gee, Rav, even the furniture?  I agree with all.  I use the calculators, but restrict it to inhouse use of my own timber.  Heck, I would buy a disk of the stuff to use on the web site.  AS it is, I link to the landowner tool box on my web site.  It is a great tool, and you guys need the credit.

Drawn and quartered would be more appropriate than the furniture.  Unless you strap them to the furniture, gather up a good stack of wood,,,,,,,,,,nah, to many laws on debris burning.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

I don't know him Jeff. Surprised that he would put your developed calculator on his site without asking.

I've had people contact me and ask if they could use the timber paneling backgrounds on my web page and these are no big deal compared to the work that you, Ron, et al put into them.
~Ron

RavioliKid

Don,

That's just me being practical. Of course, if you think disembowelment or imolation is more appropriate, feel free to go ahead.

But, Jeff seems to be a good horse-trader. He likes the furniture, so maybe he can get some - and get his "propers" for the calculators.

::)
RavioliKid

Bill Johnson

I don't blame you for being ticked to put it mildly.
I know if it were me I would be some PO'd especially since this is the second incident in a short time.
The nerve of some people.
I think you guys should go after them for tooth and nail I'm sure if the situation was reversed they would have no hesitation in getting on your case PDQ.

Bill

Bill

Gordon

Well at least they contacted you in a quick manner. The main thing is that your happy with the outcome be it as it may.

It must be pretty darn good or else all these sites wouldn't try and claim it as thier own. Before I get carried away---NUF SAID

Gordon

Jeff

I would not say I am happy with the outcome. Yet. Time will tell. As I said, I am diligent.

RavioliKid

You sure are diligent!  :o

I would not want you on my trail if you didn't like something I'd done.

::)
RavioliKid

Jeff

I believe we threw enough scare into the original calculator "borrower" that he has left the internet!

Tom

Either that or moved.   Did he ever make an effort to contact you?

Jeff

Nope, he never did. He may have moved, I don't think the link to him in this thread could have been real good for business!

Tom

Your probably right.  I think he could have still pulled his fat out of the fire if he had tried to reach an amicable agreement.  If he had made you happy I don't think any of us would have held anything against him.

Running doesn't solve anything, does it.

Apologies and a little public humiliation can make you a big man and generally earn some respect.

To bad there is not more of it.

Thank You Sponsors!