iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small cedar

Started by LeeB, October 13, 2002, 11:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I have an opertunity to saw some small cedar logs(4-5") in half for a local cedar supplier to use as siding. My mill is fully manuel. Was wondering if anybody has a good idea for clamping such small logs. I would like to clamp 2 or 3 at a time to save time and give him more value for his money as I will be sawing by the hour. Thanks, LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Steve

Mobile Dimension makes a spring loaded manual dog system that can accomodate a deck as wide as you can saw. It is easy to saw many logs side by side one after the other or in the case of a bandsaw probably a few in one pass?

John, from MD may see this and give you some more information. The URL is www.mobilemfg.com
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Jeff

Interesting. Has anybody ever tried that? Sawing mutiple logs with simultaneously a bandmill?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

For resaw of small stock I use adjustable clamps and tighten the board to the bed then tighten up the bed clamps to secure the board.
Then remove the adjustable wood working clamps.
Slow but it works.

Kevin

If you strapped the ends together you might get lucky.

LeeB

thought I would rip a 2x4 on a 45* and drive screws through at an angle with the points toward the logs and let it back up against the fixed dogs, Another with a 45* on both sides for the middle logs. The half logs will be used for fencing, rather than siding as I stated in the first post. Logs will be 4-5" diam. Two at a time will be easy. three will be the tricky part. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

I know of some sawyers who claim to saw more than one log at a time.  I've never had anyone show me how.  I did try it a few times and had little success.  The logs would roll away from each other and jump up in the middle rather than lay flat on the bed.   With my ignorant effort, I found that I could saw them one at a time faster.

3-5 inch logs are a pain regardless of what you do.  If you discover a really good way, I'd sure like to know how. :P

I have sawed multiple cants before and that can be productive if you have good help.  It gets to be a lot of log handling and everybody needs to be on the same page.

DanG

I have a set of "between dogs" with my MD mill.  The MD manual dog system is a little different from what most of you guys are used to. The inner dog is stationary, and the outer one slides on a track, and clamps the log with a ratcheting system, then locks with a spring.  The ones for multiple logs simply slide onto the track, and have points on both sides.

Tom, I'll bring a spare dog and track, as well as a mid-dog to Moultrie with me, Wednesday.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I'd like to see what you use.

sawmill_john

I'll try to get a picture of our set up posted tomorrow but the way we hold multiple logs of small size is with a sliding double pointed dog it holds each log so they don't touch that way when you cut one log the bottoms slabs are still held secure, when I was sawing at the Kentucky show they had a whole stack of 12"-15" poplar logs so we were dogging in two at a time and cutting across in one pass.  Like I said the picture shows it much better.  The cost of the slider dogs is about $12.00, the log holder & clamp is $105.00, we've been selling afew to the lucas and petterson mills the last few years.  I can't remember selling any to band saws.  There is no reason they wouldn't work.    sawmill john

LeeB

Sawmill_John,
                      This is prety much what I had in mind with the 2x4 thing. Bought some 1" square tbg. to make something a little more permanant if it works. LeeB

ARKANSAWYER

LeeB,
  I have done this (sawing small cedar in half) and the best way is with my home made re-saw.  I have a old kitchen counter top that I drop on to the bed that has a hole cut out in the back for the blade and notches in the front so it sits level.  I lightly clamp it with the dogs and hold the carrage in place with vice-grips and leather pads on the rail.  (This is on a WM)  
  Then set the height of the blade and push the log through from the back.  You can shim up the small end with small boards to center the pith.  With 2 people it goes really fast but you will need extra push sticks. ::)    Sorry no pictures but I hope you get the ideal.  It works on boards and cants as well.  Poor people have poor ways!
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

ADfields

That sounds like a slick deal to me Arkansawyer! :P
Andy

moosehunter

Found this thread with the search feature. No one ever added pics??! I was trying to saw multiple logs(5-6in)  on my LM2000 band saw this weekend. Notice I said TRYING. It didn't go well. At least no one was hurt ::)
Would love to see those pics. I've got about a million of these logs to cut up ( ok maybe slightly less than a million)
MH
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Fla._Deadheader

????????????

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.   Take a 1X or 2X, squared, lay 3-4 logs on the bed, Nail or screw the 1X or 2X to one end of the logs, AFTER getting them oriented to level with the bed. Saw down the middle. Take the top halves away, de-nail or de-screw the 1X or 2X and clear the bed. Don't really hafta clamp'em. They can't roll.

Tom has it right, sometimes it's easier to just do it one at a time.

We HAVE done this. 

Jeffro, sawing multiple logs at one time can be done without the 1X or 2X, just hafta go slow on the first cut. Clamp just tight enough so the logs stay still. One cut, turn them flat down and go for it.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

moosehunter

I was trying to cut 4X4s out of these small logs, the biggest problem I have is the second cut. It seems imposable ( at least to my small mind) to get more than one log @ 90 deg to the bed and have it stay there.
You & Tom are probubly right. One at a time may be faster.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Fla._Deadheader

Turn them logs 180°  ;D ;D ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

whitey

I split 4-6 inch lodgepole for fence rails 18 ft long 3 at atime on my lm2000  i use a 2headed sliding drive dog on the first 2 and clamp dog on the third  will try to get pictures next time i' m at the mill..  Whitey
you  don't have to be crazy to cut juniper but it sure helps !

LeeB

I'd forgotten all about this tread. I did like Tom mentioned and cut them one at a time. I use a 2x2 with pegs on the side that fit into my fixed dogs to hold it and one adjustable clamp to hold it all. I cut a lot of natural edge stuff like mesquite and other wierd shape logs and find the 2x2 really comes in handy for that as well.

Daren

I have sawed small logs side by side. I built my own deck so I can mess with it all I want, when I need to I just build a fixture to do what I need to do. I have put 2 or 3 small cants side by side many times and sawed. When  my skid steer was broke for awhile I had some bigger logs that I didn't need long boards from so I cut them 8' long and rolled 2 at a time on the deck end to end and sawed. My deck is 17' long (cut length) so I left a space between the 2 end to end and could raise or lower the head between logs.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

ARKANSAWYER

If you figure out how to make 4x4's from 3 to 5 inch logs let me know.  We will all get rich.  8) 8) 8)  I have a hard time getting a good 4x4 from any thing less then 6 inches.   If you are going to shuck little logs a scragg mill is the only way to go.
ARKANSAWYER

oakiemac

I have sawn two at once like sawmill john talked about. Works great.  Actually you saw one log at a time but both are up on the mill and dogged down.
I just need another set of log risers for the second log. That way I could cut two and have the option of using the risers to take out taper or to reduce size of bottom slab.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

whitey

i got some pictures of my pole dogs  haven't figured out how to post them thet are in my gallery .  the small size doesn't show much  need to learn new tricks .     whitey
you  don't have to be crazy to cut juniper but it sure helps !

iain

Can you fix a bearer to center the small end
then screw a strip of steel to the top with yellow pasivated screws (cross head and reuse lots of times)
one screw per log, straight in
18v dewalt should be real quick
40mm screws on the fat end should do

iain

Thank You Sponsors!