iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hate banks

Started by Quartlow, January 17, 2006, 02:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

I built a cue rack a few weeks ago for a friend, stopped at his bank to cash his Check. They wouldn't cash it  Said they had a new policy of not cashing checks unless you have an account there, even if the check was drawn on their bank. Talk about a bunch of malarky. They are getting as bad as insurance companies.

For what it was worth it was sky bank. Guess that means I don't take anymore sky bank checks
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

leweee

Adds new meaning to the phrase "the skies the limit" ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

beenthere

One reason I like an Independent bank, and one in a small town to boot. I've had the same experience with big banks that won't do business 'unless' you have an account there.

Getting so a check is not a very good form of payment. I sold my skidsteer a few years back. On a Sat. morning the man stopped to pick it up, and left me a check (around noon). On Sunday he called and said he was bringing it back. He didn't like it and it leaked oil (I knew of an occasional drip, nothing steady).  He drove in the yard and I looked at the trailer deck figuring he'd busted something, like a hose and there would be oil all over the trailer. Not a drop. So I started it up, thinking there might be something wrong with the engine. Ran fine. I drove it down off the trailer and went about 15 feet, and all was well. I turned and saw the guy leaving fast down the gravel drive (didn't think he could pick up the ramps that quick).  Never said a word, and didn't ask for his check back. On Monday I took it to my bank to find out he had stopped payment on the check BEFORE he gave it to me at noon on Sat. as his bank closed at noon. He had the nerve to call and ask me to send that check back to him. Didn't happen.   And I couldn't find anything wrong or busted with the skidsteer either. I think he had a job to do, and got it done on Sat. afternoon and Sunday morning.   :) Takes all kinds.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bernie

I wanted to withwraw some money from a saving account and the Bank or saving and lone wanted to charge me $3.00 . NO way said I.  >:( >:( >:(

Murf

I had a similar experience a few years back.  ::)

A fella wanted to buy an old tractor I was selling for a friend of the family, a widow lady who didn't know anything more about the tractor than that she didn't want it.

I told the guy as much, and as painfully honestly, as I could about the tractor. It was "old and used", but definitely not "used up" by any means.

When he showed up something just didn't seem right, he had a hard time keeping the story straight between what he had told me earlier, and what the he & the guy he had brought with him were saying.

After we settled on a price he told me (not asked) he was gonna pay by two cheques. When I asked why two cheques he told me it was on account of him having money in two different banks. I figured it was on account of him not havin' any money, prolly in either one.  ::)

He was a confused when I said he couldn't load the tractor on his trailer till I had cheques in hand. Then after he wrote out the two cheques I picked up my cell phone and called the first bank, and explained the situtation to the nice girl at the bank. She said she had a stop payment on a cheque for that much money, but the client said he couldn't remember who it was supposed to be payable to, just stop all cheques for that amount. About this point he was getting madder than an old wet hen. He got madder when I jumped in my truck and blocked him in my yard.

I then called the second bank, the nice young man there politely told me he didn't need to know who or how much the cheque was for, the account had been closed by the bank some time earlier because a history of rubber cheques.

By now the 'buyer' was absolutely furious.

My next call was to the police. After they arrived they spent a few minutes on the computer with his ID, after about 5 minutes they gave him a ride, and the other guy pulled out with the truck & (empty) trailer.  ;)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Corley5

I got a bad check from a firewood customer and at my banks suggestion to save myself the possibility of another 10 dollar charge I took the check to her bank.  They cashed it for me 8) 8) but not before they checked to make sure the money was there ;) ;D  I'm still out 10 bucks >:( and there's a notation next to her name in my log book ;)  We used to bank at our local credit union but both my wife and I had issues with them.  Luckily for us on both occasions we had kept our reciepts from the transactions.  Lots of people use the credit union and it's convenient as it's the only bank in town but I won't go there anymore.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Buzz-sawyer

I was given a personal check on a 3-4 hundred feet of decking I cut out, and went right to thier bank....well, they would possibly cash it, right after I submitted my finger prints to them ......well kiss my bass, you blue gill, if Ill give ya my prints , whats next, urine sample to cash a check?????????????????
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Quartlow

The checks good!! They just wouldn't cash it since I didn't have an account there. Even though it was their check.

Buzz, you can get aound the print thing, just twist your thumb a little as yu apply it screws the print up  ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Murf

Quote from: Buzz-sawyer on January 17, 2006, 03:19:12 PM
I was given a personal check on a 3-4 hundred feet of decking I cut out, and went right to thier bank....well, they would possibly cash it, right after I submitted my finger prints to them ......well kiss my bass, you blue gill, if Ill give ya my prints , whats next, urine sample to cash a check?????????????????

Oh I'd give 'em a urine sample alright Buzz, right on da manager's desk mebbe.  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Corley5 on January 17, 2006, 03:04:51 PM
Lots of people use the credit union and it's convenient as it's the only bank in town but I won't go there anymore.

There's one here 5 miles away, but I don't bank there. It's fairly new (5 years). Apparently they changed legislation for credit unions here the last few months and the government insures 100 % of your assets. Used to be only $60,000. Hard to immagine rich people putting all their assests in a bank and only have a fraction of it insured.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Our US credit unions are all run without paying any fed. taxes. They make a lot of money and don't get taxed. It's a political football that gets tossed around a lot. When they were first formed they were like a small coop with savings and loans among members only. Now anyone can be a member and they compete against banks that do have to pay taxes. Not something that can be called fair or equal treatment. Credit Union headquarters are in Madison, WI so have some interesting discussions here.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Sounds about like a central committee of a church group. ???
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

BT,
Isn't that a coincidence that the world headquarters for credit unions is in Madison ??? ??? ???

Have ya seen the golden palace that they have constructed there ??? ??? ???

I shake my head every time I drive by there. Just today being the latest...I had to go to Hooters for lunch....but that's a whole nuther story.

Let's see... credit union headquarters.....Government of Wisconsin headquarters......legislators going to prison for using OUR money and employees for their own re-election campaigns....David Obey being on the advisory board for the credit unions...nahhh there cant be any connection :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

They say that crooks and thieves all sleep together....I think we might have a little conflict of interest going on. Tax 'em I say.......tax 'em long and hard...... :) :) :) :)

Ohhhh did I tell ya that I have a little hatred for credit unions :D :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

IL Bull

I went to withdraw money from my savings account when I bought my skid steer.  The teller said there was a three dollar charge for a cashiers check.  I asked how much was the charge for cash.  She said there wasn't one.  I said well give me the cash.  She went to talk to one of the bosses and came back with a cashiers check.  Said the didn't have the cash. ???
No charge for the check though. :o
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Burlkraft

They didn't have the cash ??? ??? ??? ???

What did they do with all the cash :-\ :-\ :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

sawman

Saw a sign in a mechanic shop here while back that said
In God we trust, all others must pay cash.   ;D
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

pigman

Quote from: IL Bull on January 17, 2006, 05:15:11 PM
well give me the cash.  She went to talk to one of the bosses and came back with a cashiers check.  Said the didn't have the cash. ???

Now IL Bull, tell us about about that skid steer that costs more money than a bank has. :o
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

isassi

Hey quartlow; In Oklahoma, it is not legal for a bank to refuse payment on a personal check made out to an individual. Now they can call the owner of the account, they can call on God, but they have to pay. The exception is if the check is made out to you as a company or business. Then the IRS rules kick in...you know, must report your money.  :D

Onthesauk

If I remember correctly, credit unions are like your local co-op.  They don't pay any taxes because any profit gets refunded to you, (in the rates they pay.) 

Banks in general are harder to deal with then they use to be, partly because most are controlled by someone on the 43rd floor, 2,500 miles away, and partly because of all the security stuff that has come down the pike, i.e. follow the money.  But pretty hard to live without them.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

johncinquo

I sold something to guy and we both wanted it paid for and shipped as quick as possible, so I asked him to get a cashiers check from his bank, and I went to a branch here in town to cash it.  If I were to take it to my bank, it was a 7 day hold.  I took it to his bank and they wanted $5 to cash because I was nto a customer.   I explained the man who sent it to me is a customer, and you are working for him, not me.  I explained he wanted his merchandise shipped immediately and that is whay he had specificly gotten a cashiers check so I would nto have any problem.  If they did not want to cash it, I would take it to my bank for deposit and wait for it to clear, and I would call him and explain that HIS bank refused to cash it.  I then mentioned he has substantial deposits with them.  They were miraculously able to waive the fee just this time and I walked out with the cash. 

I'll tell you where I think the next place banks are going to get into trouble.  Online banking payments.  Financial instituitions can not simply sit on money that should be paid out or is supposed to be in transit.  Its against the law for anyone to use the "float" to make money.  I have noticed that if you make a electronic payment on the 1st, it comes out of your account that day, yet the money is not credited to where you have paid the money to anywhere from 3 to 9 days later.  An electronic transfer of money does not take days, but seconds to possibley hours to get credited to your account from the time it is sent.  So, wheres the money at?  Money heaven?  Its stuck in the internet cause its so busy nowadays?  Nope, its somewhere earning the bank interest for a couple days, and that is going to lead to whole lot of goverment input, class action suits, and fines for some major players. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

thurlow

Hey guys, don't be too hard on the banks;  in May, my wife will have completed 40 years as an employee at a small town/independent bank.  They have 5 locations and about 80 employees.  She is currently chief operation officer/human resources officer and executive vice-president.  Unless you have intimate knowledge, you wouldn't believe how highly regulated they are by the state and Federal gov't.  Every few months, she comes in and tells me of some other way they've had to change/tighten their check cashing/cashier checks/waiting for checks-to-clear, etc rules.  It's all about the amount of fraud going on.  You ever got an offer from someone offering you a cashier's check  for something you're selling?  Can not be told from the real thing and if they're from overseas, it may take 2 weeks for it to work its way back thru the system and be found out to be bogus.  Can't really speak about the large/corporate banks, but every time an independent would sell out to them, my wife's bank would pick up a lot of new clients.............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Quartlow

Well I don't know about all that Thurlow, But by gawd I learned something from the State today, They can't refuse to cash it, they can make you jump through hoops but they gotta cash it. Unfortunatly I can't do anything about it, the drawer of the check has to file a complaint against the bank since he is the one with a contract with the bank.

Email From the state

QuoteDear Mr. Mickley:

I will attempt to answer your question.

Under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), when you took the check in to the drawer's bank to be cashed you made an over the counter presentment for payment of the check.  The general rule of thumb under the UCC is the bank on which the check is drawn then has until the close of the next business day to decide whether to pay the check or dishonor the check.  Also generally, the bank can only dishonor the check if there were insufficient funds in the account or the check is not properly payable, i.e., it has some specific deficiency.  If a bank does not pay a check that is properly payable, under the general rule the dishonor is wrongful and the drawer of the check, who has a contract with the bank to pay on the drawer's order, has an action against the bank.  The payee of the check who wasn't paid still has an action against the drawer of the check but not against the bank because the payee has no contract with the bank in relation to that check.

These general rules notwithstanding, the UCC permits the parties to contracts under the UCC to vary from the general rules by contract.  So, many banks now include in their deposit contracts with their checking account customers provisions that refusing to pay a check for some other reason, such as the check not being properly payable or there not being sufficient funds in the account, is not a wrongful dishonor.  The most common reason I've heard of is if the person presenting the check for payment refuses to pay a fee to the drawer's bank to have the check cashed.  In that particular case many courts have upheld the contracts, so the drawer doesn't have recourse against the bank.  The payee still does have recourse against the drawer.  The check is a contract by the drawer to pay the payee even if the check is dishonored by the bank on which it is drawn.  Also, if the check was given to effect payment on an underlying obligation, such as for a service done on goods sold, the underlying obligation to pay remains intact.

So in a nutshell they should have cashed it.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

isassi

I happen to like my bank and my banker. They treat me well, even loaning me money when I wonder if it is smart.  :D But, I have to say, that when I get a check and take it to a bank to get cashed, I expect my money, all of it, every cent of it, every time. I will not pay a check cashing fee, service fee, or other. My bank already charges me fees, and I agree to pay them because i have a relationship with them. If I were to run into a problem with a fee, unless it were a dire emergency, I would simply deposit the check. I guess banks need to make money whenever they can, but in my viewpoint, this scenario is theft on the banks part...but I guess most businesses engage in it now. Recently, I went into a local lumber yard I have traded with for sometime and while there, since it was the 23rd of the month, I paid my account and purchase...you know, save them a stamp, assures me I am not past due do to memory. One of my employees went in the next moring and charged a hole saw, about 24 bucks, and I assumed since I didn't recieve a statement, the charge went on the next months bill. So you guys know, I live in a small town and everyone knows everyone. The next month, i get my statement while at the post office and in hand written red ink across the top of the bill "past due, please help" and the $24 charge circled. Also added was a $5 service charge for being past due. Long story short, I immediately closed my account, and we have an agreement...I won't buy anything from them, they won't feel compelled to charge me a service charge, and I trade exclusively with the other lumber yard in town. maybe a small mis-understanding and they offered to remove the service charge when they understood how angry I was, but I refused and paid it with the comment that in out little town, where I pay my bill on time, every time, I deserved treatment as an individual. I don't know if they really miss my business, but we started this week on an addition with 24 spec homes and all the materials are coming from the other yard.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!