iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

boots

Started by Mr Mom, January 17, 2006, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

My feet hurt. Bunions, fallen arches...who knows ::)

I still like red rubber, insulated, steel toe boots. Lots of room. Easy off and on. About $80 and last good. Unfortunately they are made in china now and got smaller and less comfy. I wear them year round.

Here is where we talked about it last year

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=9544.0
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

karl

Recently gave up on Mason after many, many years. Last two pair were total chinese junk AND hurt my feet. Bought a pair of Timberline wellingtons (Lazy ole fart, eh? just think of the time and laces I save in a year ;)) Didn't expect much for $60 (Sportsman's Guide)within a week I ordered another pair so I can rotate. I like 'em- most water resistant boot I have ever had, and comfy and cool too. 'bout half what I normally pay- it's all good so far- a year will tell if they are indeed good.

Wear boots everyday- 'cept one pair of marryin' n buryin' black loafers.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Tillaway

I just purchased a pair of Nicks Boots but they are a bit out of your price range... over $300.  The ground here does not lend themselves well to the most popular brands so people do spend quite a bit, usually over $200 and pretty close to $400 at times depending on what you need.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

pigman

I have a nice pair of boots and they only cost about $40 US. They are real comfy and are 1/2 water proof. :(  you see they let all the water in but none can get out. :o   I think they put the leather on reversed or something. What the heck, I don't work in the rain much and I can always pour out the water every night.  When my wife increases my allowance I will get a good pair of boots. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

CHARLIE

Not that it matters but Redwing boots are made in Redwing, Minnesota which is on the shore of the Mississippi River (an old riverboat town).  It's about an hours drive from my house. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

jon12345

I just 'retired' my old redwings from actual work I got in sept '02 because the heel came off the sole in one of them.  I will still wear them if I'm not going to be stepping in any puddles to get my feet wet.  The soles are worn down on one side near the toe, cause thats how I walk.  I have had  lot of good memories with those boots and it just isn't time to let them go  I just cant do it  :'(

You're nothin in the woods without your feet, so take care of them and hopefully they will take care of you   :)

Those vikings I think someone mentioned looked pretty nifty too I think I might check those out after Uncle Sam gives me back some of my hard earned dolla's  :D  Anyone had experience with these?  I know husky has an 'equivelant' but prolly costs a lot more than a buck 10  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Rockn H

Nothing wrong with a pair of Red Wings.  That's what I'm wearing now.  It's the first pair of boots that I've had in ten years that were'nt Double H.  When these wear out ,and I've already had to glue one of the soles back together because I do alot of squating.  I'll be going back to Double H ropers with their comfort sole.  These are about five dollars more than Red Wings, but to me Double H are hands down the most comfortable boot I've ever worn.  As far as water proofing, I use a Silicon spray ever so often and it doesn't seem to hurt the leather.

Mr Mom

Thanks guys.
     Im in the same boat as pigman my boot allowance is controlled by my wife. (suck not having a job)
     I think i will try out red wings.

Thanks Mr Mom

Corley5

I use a hairdryer when oiling boots.  The oil soaks right in
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

iain

Why all the complaints about cheap chinez boots and tools?

aint it your parent companies that set the spec and the quality control?

if your home grown company's have moved production, to the far east (my far east), is it not so they can make more money? or cause they can't afford to pay American rate's?

if the quality has gone down let them know how *pithed you are that they have taken the decision to offer a lesser quality produt (normally for the same or more money)

wal mart found out the hard way here when they bought one of our bigger supermarkets (ASDA), people moved to the next store till they sorted things out, now they work with local producers etc where they can, and the product guarantees are a lot better

not sure how long that will last, but it worked (prob helps that this island is small, and another store is never very far away)

iain

Tom

Redwing stores around here keep an open container of oil at the door with a paintbrush in it.   It's purpose is to allow Redwing customers the opportunity to 'oil' their boots when they visit the store.  I don't know if it is common throughout the company but we sure like it here.  It promotes a lot of visits to the boot store that you normally wouldn't take.  :D      It's a free service for wearing Redwings.   Most of the guys I've talked to who wear Redwings will arrange their schedule so that they will go by the Redwing store about once a week.  :D

I've met a lot of folks at the oiling station who I'd never have met otherwise.  :)

SwampDonkey

The store that used to carry them never had an oil bucket, they tried pushing a product for extra $$. But they lost their franchise I heard, don't know why and I doubt it had anything to do with oiling shoes. ;)  There is another store in the next town that carries a much wider range of RedWing, I haven't been there for years. When I need a new pair, I'll be heading up there.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

"I've met a lot of folks at the oiling station who I'd never have met otherwise."

Probably a better class of people than you'd see at the newest local politically correct   "latte cafe' ".  (No, I don't eat that stuff called "keesh"  either   ;D) 

rebocardo

www.sportsmanguide.com

#e603c-94586

Just found my ideal boot, because I have wanted a snake boot for a long time, but, never found one with steel toes or zippers.

snake boot
side zippers
water proof
Armour toe and heel cap for long wear (dont know if this means steel or just protective rubber)

Engineer

In the past six years, I've gone through two pair of Wolverines and two pair of Rockys.  All have 'given out' somehow, ranging from soles coming off, to linings separating, to a complete loss of waterproofing.  Last pair of Rockys was almost $200, and there's gotta be something better.

I'm inclined to try Red Wings, although I know a couple of guys that swear by anything with the Cabela's name on it, and another couple guys that only wear Danners.

Tom

The trick to getting the life out of Redwings is to have two pair, alternate them and keep them oiled. 

I don't always have two pair, wear one pair all the time and still get good life, usually 2 to 3 years.  The soles go before the tops. 

I've been tempted to get them resoled, but usually Redwing has to do it and they send them off.

No telling what kind of life I could get from a set of tops if I resoled.  Usually I just give the old boots to my son who destroys them working on Diesel engines and crawling around on concrete.  The tops don't hold up too good when they get scrubbed on concrete all day.  :D

I had a paire of climbing boots that I retired after 5 years and gave them to my brother who uses them in his landscaping business.   They don't get used regularly, maybe twice a week, but they are going on 8 years and show no appreciable wear.   Like I said, the secret is keeping them oiled.

I've always used Reddwing's boot oil.  It is neatsfoot, basically,  and other compounds of which I no nothing.

Reddog

Quote from: Tillaway on January 17, 2006, 08:40:52 PM
I just purchased a pair of Nicks Boots but they are a bit out of your price range... over $300.  The ground here does not lend themselves well to the most popular brands so people do spend quite a bit, usually over $200 and pretty close to $400 at times depending on what you need.

How do your Nick's compared to the White's? I have two pair of Whites and have been real happy but you have me wondering.

maple flats

Many years ago I oiled my Red Wings and thought they were doing good. When I went to get another pair at an old time REAL shoe maker who also carried Red Wing he told me I was over oiling them and pointed out how the part of the boot that surrounds the heelĀ  on the sides and back was limp. He said that was bad, no support, i said they were comfortable, he told me it was bad for my feet with no support. He told me to only waterproof them whenever the leather started to look slightly dry on the surface and to use snopruf, not oil. Said the snopruf would work better and be better in maintaining the support as apposed to oil. Since then I have used the snopruf and he was right. You don't have to be in snow country to use it, it conditions and waterproofs the leather without penetrating too much sealant wax, greese ? in too deep so as to lose the support built into the boot. As I said in my post earlier, i tend to keep my boots very long, I work hard out in the woods, in the blueberry fields and in everyday activities, on the tractor etc. They last me anywhere from 4 to the eight years the ones I now have on (which is the longest I have ever gotten) However I do wear rubber Muck boots if i am working in mud and water rather than just getting thru a wet spot or in wet grass. I find the snopruf to do as that old shoemaker told me. No i do not own any stock in the company, (maybe I should)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

I do have 2 pair of Red Wings. The ones i am wearing and the ones i bought to replace them at a booth at the NYS Woodsmens field Days this past Aug, they are still new in the box, tried them on and put them back to wait for these to fail. I forgot to mention, the soles on this model are made out of urethane, doesn't sound very tuff but I have never worn thru yet and the heel still has about 1/2 thickness at the most worn spot which is the back of the heel and slightly off center. Must be I don't walk correctly.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

Update. I am thinking about replacing my old pair of Red Wing boots, which I have now been wearing for 10 years this coming August. I already have the replacement pair, which I bought in 1999 and have only worn them on a few occasions when I wanted a better looking boot. When I finally retire the old pair I will need to buy another replacement pair. These are getting thin in the sole so I can sometimes feel stones when I walk on them and the backs have now lost their support. I just hate to give up on them but I guess I must. I have really gotten great mileage from these Red Wings, #1212, worn almost daily for nearlt 10 years. They do look worn but do not look worn out.

little Bark

I picked up my redwings on ebay for $30.00 two years ago.  If you know what you want you can do that and feel confident that they are going to fit right.
Always use the rite tool for the job.

SwampDonkey

I have a brand new pair of red wings to, waiting to be worn. I have a pair of Carolina's that are not the same boot. I gotta wear them out first and probably won't take long. The leather in them is like card board.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

I have all the redwings I ever bought.  one pair low tops with one resole every day wearers, one pair high tops, 2 more pair low tops as dress shoes :o, waiting to replace the evry day pair ifin they ever quits.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

tyb525

I got some Brahma's boots awhile back at Walmart for about $30, high top, steel toe, waterproof, oil resistant sole, thinsulate insulation, and not to mention they are actually very comfortable. When I wear them around my shop I usually wear shorter socks (like you wear with tennis shoes) and I can hardly tell that I'm not wearing taller socks.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Phorester

I too have a couple pairs of leather boots that I alternate every week, or if I get a pair sweaty after a hard day, I will wear the other pair the next day.

I bought a pair of Thorogood's last year. Their firefighting model.  American made - Merrill, Wisconsin.  Seems to be a good boot.

What's y'alls experience with the rubber/leather combination boots, like L.L. Bean?  I had a pair that I wore completely out, had them resoled twice over the years.  The second time thay came back with a leather patch added where the tops and bottoms were stitched together.  Had a note that said sorry, this is the last time they can be resoled. Wore them until the soles were smooth and a hole started in one of them.  So I bought a brand new pair a couple months ago.  I like them for rainy day work.  Also good for dewy grass fields in the mornings.

Other opinions on these?

Thank You Sponsors!