iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New edger

Started by Plowboy, January 16, 2006, 11:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plowboy

The edger  is new to me anyway.  I bought Dougsaws edger a while ago, it was a stationary Timberking edger.  Here it is loaded up in my truck and ready to head home.

I wanted to make this edger portable but I had some work cut out for me.  The engine was mounted below the out feed belt.  I needed to move the engine so I could shorten the frame and put a axle under the edger. 

When I moved the engine I ended up putting the drive pulley on the other side.  After carefully measuring and some careful engineering I got everthing to work.

Here is some of the frame work that I welded up.  I think it should work fine for me.

I moved the gas tank and the battery box and mounted them higher and out of the way.  I also made some heavy duty tail light  protectors. 

And finally I made a removable tounge so nobody would whack any shins.

I still need some parts from Timberking and I need to paint and remove my temporary tail light wiring.  I sawed some lumber today and saved some boards so I can test my new edger sometime soon. 

getoverit

Excellent job plowboy!

Cant wait to hear how it all worked out for ya. Is that a 13hp Honda engine on your edger?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

customsawyer

Nice work the only thing that I might add would be some down rigger type jacks at the for corners because I find that my edger works alot better the closer I get it to level.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

highpockets

Very Nice.  I have a Foley to do, want to come over?
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Plowboy

The motor is a 18hp Briggs, I think that will work pretty good.  I am going to get four farm implement jacks later this week.   I have a little bit of work to do before I am all done, I still want to modify the shields so they will fit and cover things up a little more. 

Highpockets, I know the weather is warmer were you are but I think I'll stay here for now. 

Plowboy

I finally got the parts I needed from Timberking, I we did a little test run on Friday.  I am happy to report that edger works great.  On Saturday we took the edger with us on a big sawing job.  Dad ran about 500 bdft through it and didn't have any problems.  I'm not going to miss edging boards on the mill. 

I made up some hold down wheel brackets and added two wheels.

Since I moved the engine around I thought I should have a shield protecting the drive belt and so we can't stick any fingers or other body parts in. 

Paul_H

You did a fantastic job on that edger.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DoubleD

Congratulation on your edger you did a fine job  smiley_smash
Wannabe a sawmiller

Coon

How much money do you have into it??  I am in the process of drawing up a set of plans to build an edger.  I like what you did to yours.  Couldn't even imagine how much time you have into it as I don't know what tools you had to do the job with.   8) 8) 8)

Timber King needs to start building your design and pay you royalties on that one. :o :o

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Part_Timer

That is a fine gob you did there.  I especially like the removeable shin bitter.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Max sawdust

Hello Plowboy,
When you are ready to sell your edger let me know :D :D ;)
You do real good work, I am happy with my LT15, the mods you made are better than the manufacture.   8)

I hope all is going well with your LT30 and new edger.
I am working on a small bag vacuum kiln with an old milk machine vacuum pump.
Take care,
Max
For those that do not know, I bought Plowboy's LT15 when he upgraded.  It is a real nice mill with lots of nice mods Plowboy made. ;D ;D ;D ;D I am a happy camper buying anything Plowboy got his hands on to improve.
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Plowboy

Coon, I have about $1000 into the edger.  I wouldn't have had to spend that much but I had a lilttle problem with a shaft that was frozen onto a roller.  It took me awhile to figure out how to make things work like I wanted.  If you look at Timberking's website you will find that they make a portable edger that looks real similar to the one I made.  Where do think I got some of my ideas from.   :D :D :D

I don't think I'll sell the edger for while, the more we use it the more we like it.  I was out sawing again today and the edger is making things go faster and easier.  I hated edging on the mill and seemed to take so long.  My customer had a neighbor stop by and drop off a couple of logs.  And when he saw the edger he wanted us to come over and saw out some stakes from some 2x10.  In a little under an hour we had enough stakes ran through the edger for them.   I would have hated to that job on the mill.

UNCLEBUCK

That is a excellent job you did there !  8)  Does your blade settings go in full one inch increments like 2"-12" ?
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Plowboy

This edger is adjustable to any width, up to about 21".  If I want to make boards at 7 3/8" I can.  I would have to stop the edger and measure the blades to get an acurate board.  There is pointer and ruler on the infeed end that helps to get fairly close.   

karl

Good job- if'n the millin' don't work out, looks like you could fall back on fabricatin' ;)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Tim L

Impressive work,well done
Do the best you can and don't look back

Thank You Sponsors!