iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WHICH CHAINSAW

Started by leweee, January 16, 2006, 05:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ianab

I just voted with my checkbook - you need to put Dolmar on your list  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Rocky_J

What kind of chainsaw? What size range? Small, midsize, monster honker for milling, what?

We need more information here.  :P

rebocardo

Okay, who voted for the Poulan Wildthing?  ;)

ComputerUser

Voted other because I'd be going with Dolmar for everything except saws at the extreme end of the size spectrum.

50cc class would be Dolmar's 5100 and 60cc+ would be Dolmar's 7900.  These two saws would satisfy 95% of my cutting needs, are powerful for their size/weight, seem to hold up really well, and have the best anti-vibe I've ever encountered.

The rest of it could be met with a top-handle Echo (they never die!) and some old or new 120cc saw for stumps that are tool large for the 7900 or where a single, flush cut is required for aesthetic reasons.

Al_Smith

Most likely the sun would rise in the west before I bought a brand new saw.If however that rare event were to happen,a Dolmar 5100 tickles my fancy,for a small saw.A large one would be an ms 660. 8)

SawTroll

Even though I don't need any of them, I have two very different saws on my "want" list at the moment.

One is the MS660, just for the h*ll of it, and the other one is the nimble little Husky 339xp, as a light limbing, topping (on the ground) and brushing saw. Another attraction of the 339xp is that "no-one" seem to have one...... ;D

As the 339xp is the one that I can make (sort of) an excuse to buy, and money is a bit tight right after christmas, I voted Husqvarna.
Information collector.

Ed

I bought a 346xp Husky as a x-mas present for my dad.
Main reason for getting the Husky is my dealer!

Ed

Corley5

Since 372s are so hard to come by I'd go with a 2171 Jonsered.  I've always preferred the color over orange anyway and my Jonsered dealer is very good.  I've got a 395 and a 372 now because I couldn't get a 2095 and the 372 was cheap.  Very happy with both saws :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Chris J

Corley, I'm curious to know what your dealer would charge for a new 2171 powerhead.  Thanks in advance!

Aw ra best!  Chris J.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Corley5

Last time I was in there which was a month or so a go a 2171 with a 20" bar was 599.99 with the trade in special.  I think you got a 150 bucks for any saw running or not
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

timberjack240

husly all the way baby  8) for the past 17 years ( my whole life  ;D ) ive been around huskys. my dad and pap ran 288 394 for loggin and 262 and 268 for fire wood and my other pap and uncle ran/run 288s 394s 371s 372s 385s and i belive i seen a 272 or or so in the parts bin   ;D even some of my realtions run huskys i love orange.... theres somethin about floppin the tailgate down and seein the lineup of those babies that seem oh so beautiful   ;D  :D

SwampDonkey

Huskey Chainsaw, Stihl brush clearing saw. ;D  8) Both have good dealers in my area. They've always donated saws to our annual meeting of delegates of the local forest products marketing board.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Troy

I bought a Stihl 025 about ten years ago.  The dealer told me I would never buy another saw.  Well a couple years later I showed him... I went back and bought an 036.  Not sure if that's what he meant or not.   :D  Well I have run the heck out of those two and never had any problems.  Now I wish I had a third - bigger one.  I'm not partial to any one brand.  Stihl is just all that I have had and I have no complaints.
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Chris J

Thanks, Corley5, that seems to about match other prices that I've read here & there.  I think that I'll just hang on to my Jred 670 as long I can keep it going.

Chris J.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

sawguy21

I sell Husky and Stihl and am partial to the Swede. I used to fix the saws for a heli-logging company and those boys, especially the long line pilots who slung the saws up the hill, are DanG hard on equipment. The Husky's were easier to fix. Mind you, nothing survived being punched off at 150 feet.
My present Husky has served me very well for the last 5 years.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DoubleD

I have a Stihl 026 seven years old, the engine was rebuild. It is a great saw, light and plenty of power. I use it for felling and delimbing of firewood ;)
Wannabe a sawmiller

Max sawdust

I perfer the Swedish saw. Like my saws to be the same brand, dat way I do not got to think when I grab an different saw ::)
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Max sawdust on January 20, 2006, 07:23:19 AM
I perfer the Swedish saw. Like my saws to be the same brand, dat way I do not got to think when I grab an different saw ::)
Max

Although it's tempting, I won't touch that with a 10 foot Jill-Pole. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Prolly a good idea :D :D :D

Max sawdust

Ya Ya I thought some one would come after me on that one :D
What I mean is I like the ergonomics, on-off-choke and assembly disassembly to be simular between my saws so I do not have to think ::)

Maybe I am weird that way, but I have trouble switching brands of gloves after I find something that is comfortable ::) :D
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

johnjbc

Quote from: rebocardo on January 16, 2006, 07:38:59 PM
Okay, who voted for the Poulan Wildthing?  ;)

I have one now. Its on its 4th year and still going strong :D :D
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

twostroke_blood

Is it just me or does that shindiawa 757 look like a work horse ? :-\

WoodSmith

I've got a good STihl dealer here so I bought a Stihl, got it for a good price and alot of our loggers here use Stihl.

twostroke_blood

Quote from: WoodSmith on January 21, 2006, 12:59:24 AM
I've got a good STihl dealer here so I bought a Stihl,

Dealer is the key. Isn't it ?

alderman

I just picked up a Shindaiwa 360.  I know its not big enough for some of you to consider it a chainsaw, but I thought it might come in handy when puttering around in the wood lot.  I've had good luck with the Shindaiwa's.
My old 500 that I purchased used for $100 finally gave up the ghost after 20 years of use and abuse.  I bought a used 488 to replace it and it runs well and is lighter than the 500.  If I need anything bigger I just grab my step dad's Stihl 045.  Mostly I stick with the small stuff. 8)

rebocardo

> I know its not big enough for some of you to consider it a chainsaw

Anything big enough to cut off a limb, attached to my own body, is big enough to call a chainsaw  for me :-D

Ianab

QuoteI know its not big enough for some of you to consider it a chainsaw,

Not if it's the right machine for the job  ;)
No one in their right mind wants to usea MS660 for pruning / thinning 6" dbh pine trees, where a saw like that is ideal for limbing, pruning and falling small tree, you can swing it round all day without killing your arms  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Interesting poll, but not surprising, based on past general-comments made on the FF about chainsaws. Pretty even between the top two brands that cover 86% of the 'next-to-be'.  Probably speaks volumes for the distribution centers and dealerships in their organizations, as much as anything.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

Tried to vote wouldn't let me.  I have two saws that I use around my mill and there are things that I like and don't like about both.
1. Husky 385 with 36" bar first thing I had to do was get a larger set of dogs for the front as the dogs that came with the saw would not grip the wood at a angle if you were trying to cut off a large limb close to the trunk and I don't care for the newer style choke lever/switch. Other than that I like the saw very much easy to start runs very well and don't have any trobles with it.
2. Stihl MS460 with a 28" bar seems to be harder to start as it will flood alot easier than the husky and the on off switch has been replaced twice so far also the decompression button likes to pop out early and make a heck of a yank on your arm if you ain't ready for it. It runs very well and gets lots of abuse and don't seem to mind just keeps cutting wood.

I think that a saw is some what like a truck in that they are all just as good as the operator. I've seen some really great trucks that were pur trash do to the loose nut behind the wheel.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

wedge

ive got huskys and stihls but ill go out on a limb here and go with echo, ive got 2 cs4400s and theyre a good saw

Raphael

I'm running all Stihl: 026, 066, & MS660.  The big boys are primarily for milling.
  The MS660 was an emergency purchase this fall when the 066 was out for a rebuild.  My primary consideration in choosing the MS660 over a Husky 395XP was interchangability of sprockets w/ the 066.

Until Stihl lets me down they've got my vote.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

sawguy21

Echo is a very good saw but the selection over 40 cc is very limited. The top handle units are nice to use.

Jim Spencer

I have a Stihl 066, Stihl 028, and love them.

I replaced an excellent 032 with a Stihl 029 which is the worst piece of spoiled kabasabobs anyone could ever buy.
Have not used it much but everytime I do I find out more about how they made a cheaper saw.
Studs screwed into plastic falling out.
The 029 piece of spoiled tuna finger sandwiches is literally falling apart.
Jim

(edited for lanquage)

Jim Spencer

A friend of mine came over and wanted to try his Husky on my Logosl mill and we realized that with a 16" bar on his saw it was about 1.5" shorter reach than a 16" bar on my 066.
I will stick to my 066.

Kevin Ginter

The family logging business has run Stihls for longer than I've been around(1976)....All you'll find in my trucks are Huqvarna's though!!!!

Quartlow

Well I can't leave sawguy21 hanging in the breeze here, but I'm in the Echo camp, if there is one  :D

I've seen two new saws in the last couple years, one was small stihl that the cous bought new little over two years ago, it wiped out the rod and crank. the other one is a husky , I think its a 345. he bought to replace the stihl. That has got to be the hardest starting saw I've ever seen. he keeps it inside next to the woodburner. My saws sit in the unheated shop. I can have my old 500 echo running and cutting before he has that husky started.  Heck I can dig out the .066 which only gets started once in a blue moon and havre it running sooner than the husky.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Alta

Stihl, Stihl, and then Stihl. I know others are just fine too but I have too many spares to change and I know Stihl saws pretty well. So...... Stihl.

vgbob

Count me with Ian, just bought a Dolmar. Had been looking at all
the usual suspects: Stihl, Husky, Jonsereds. I've run Jonsereds
for 25 years, but times change. Still have them, but needed a
small saw. Looking for a 60cc saw, but decided on the 50cc
Dolmar 5100.

snowshoveler

now thats a question that leaves the door open for a lot of discussion.
i would have to ask myself some questions.
what is the saws primary purpose.
any brand preferred
how much to spend
is the dealer a good guy
are parts readily available
are heated handles required
is the saw to be eco friendly
now i will try to explain these questions.
primary purpose is just that,what are you expecting to do with the saw. cut your firewood,maybe use it on a mill or how about just oacasional use for some tidying up around the yard.
a different saw for each job.
whats your preference,some folks will only have 1 brand of saw and there is only 1 possibility.
others dont care which brand as long as it gets the job done.
how much to spend.now this is another tricky one .
the pros know how much a saw costs and they know they are getting good value.
but with most saw sales going to the oacasional user now many people get what you might call sticker shock....you have to be prepared for this one.
what about the place you are going to buy your new saw.
is it a convienent spot.do they have enough product to be on top of things.can you expect to have any warranty issues handled there or is that going to be a hassle.
would the dealer actually lan you a saw if you were in the middle of somthing and your saw quit .
does your dealer have an adequate supply of parts,it can be difficult to have everything but all the wear items should be in stock ,i dont mean stocking crankshafts for obsolete saws but clutches and carb kits should be there.
what about things like heated handles and good vibe control.
anyplace it gets cold there are some folks that will only buy a heated handle saw.
how about the so called GREEN saws...beleive it or not some people have asked for the saws with the cats in the muffler and they are concerned about the environment.
its all part of the sale and must be taken into account before the sale is final.
thats all for now
chris     
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Bernhard

When I started with saws, my first one was a Solo. Why? Cause there was a dealer and a shop only 1 km away from me, and it was cheaper then a comparable Stihl. My first bruscutter was a Solo. Why? Please, look above.

Most people here ran Solo stuff at these times, even we have to Solo Mowers left.
But when I tried to replace the saw and the cutter, the owner of the shop had retired and the shop was closed.

Husquarna and Dolmar we didn´t have here in the mid 80`. so I go with Stihl and bought my first, a 028, which is still running without any major probs.
I stayed with Stihl, cause of the good dealers support.

If the shop would be still here, I think I would have gone ahead with Solo, but 25 km to the shop is too much, cause my Stihl Dealer is only 6km away.

So what should I vote for? Stihl, cause I´m running them since around 20 years?
Or Solo, which have a good quality, are cheaper then the Stihl, but have bad dealers network?

JD hauler

Norm

I've always been a stihl fan but have heard so many good comments about the husky 372 that when the baileys sales catalog came in yesterday I couldn't resist buying one. Got the 20" and 28" bar with a few loops of chain for each.

Now the bigger question is how I'm going to explain why I need that fourth chain saw when the box arrives. ;D

boboak

Stihl...mostly because of dealer support.  I wouldn't mind running Husky but the Stihl shop has been great for over twenty-five years.   There are several Stihl "dealers" in this area...mostly bike shops and hardware stores that sell Stihl stuff in addition to their other product lines...but they don't come close to what a real saw shop should be.  I"ve tried ordering parts a few times and they have no real idea of whats going on.  The saw shop I use can even get parts for my old stuff...032s etc...and can work on them,too.
Stihl has never let me down...my 066 is like the Energizer Bunny,just goes and goes and goes.
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

DoubleD

Well Norm you could explain your fourth chainsaw in this way:
"Honey you know four is better than three" 8) :D :D ;D
Wannabe a sawmiller

Norm

Unfortunately DD I never got the chance to explain anything, I was just going to put it in the shed and act like I'd had it all along. But noooo the next morning after I ordered it when we came to work there was a message on my phone from baileys. They had noticed on my order that I'd picked the wrong chain size for the 28" bar and left a message to ask if that was really the chain I wanted. Next time I won't use the speaker phone to listen to my messages while Patty's sitting next to me. :D

On the other hand how many companies care enough to make a call to help out their customers. Thanks to Charise at baileys, nice folks to work with. :)

Thank You Sponsors!