iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Mill

Started by alwaysoily, January 15, 2006, 04:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alwaysoily

Well it's time to stop reading about them and buy one.  I have narrowed my search down to a 1996 WM LT30 super hydro with a 35 horse wisconsin engine and 3100 hrs of use.  Everything looks to be good, saw it working and it cuts great.  Seeing that proves why I dont want a manual mill.  The price is listed at 15,900 but said 15,000 and it would be mine.  I was hoping that someone out there would tell me whether that is a fair price or not, It did look really nice and mechanically sound with no smoke etc, just a little weary about a wisconsin engine.  For jumping into this sawing thing seemed like a good machine to start out with.  Thanks for any posts or any other helpful info.

Percy

Heya Alwaysoily
I had a 96 LT40 with the same engine. I sold it for 20,000 Canadian with no sharpening gear(I kept it). It had 3000 hours on it. The fella who bought it offa me has put close to 2000 more hours on it and it is still goin strong. It would puff blue when you throttled it down after about 2500 hours but I never had to add oil before it was due for a change. The only drawback to them is that they are soooooo heavey and they require oil and filter changes every 50 hours religiously or they will calf and a rebuild is mucho coinage.I think 35 HP is a very conservative rating as the thing hardly ever bogged down in nasty wide cuts. AS long as you have confidence it was maintained correctly, I wouldnt be scared of the motor. The rest of the mill is solidly built and repairs are reasonably easy and not a big expense in relation to what it can make for you.  Hope it works out for you.
Later
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

D._Frederick

I would say that 3100 hours on any air cooled engine would be on the down hill side of its life. I would not get very excited about the price of this 10 year old mill.

jpgreen

I've learned that in 1996 there were some good improvements also..  :)

I wouldn't be scared of the engine, because there are some deals on new ones out there. To bad it's not an LT40.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

isassi

There is an LT40 on E-bay right now, with the edger and sharpening equipment...few more dollars then what you are looking at. Good luck  :)

Bibbyman

We had a 96 Super LT40 with the Wisconsin engine.  I thought it was a great engine.  It was heavy.  All good ol' American Iron.

I don't know how many hours one will last without rebuild BUT,  they are worth rebuilding and shouldn't take much.  When we sold ours to buy the new LT40 Super, it only had something like 800 hour on it.  So I wouldn't say I ran one until it wore out.

Do check the rubber bushings around the motor mounts.  Ours gave out and we replaced them with ones made of aluminum.

$15,000 don't sound out of range to me.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

jpgreen

Quote from: joasis on January 15, 2006, 07:28:16 PM
There is an LT40 on E-bay right now, with the edger and sharpening equipment...few more dollars then what you are looking at. Good luck  :)

Hmmmmm, can't find that on eBay. Do you have an Item number?  It's not coming up on a search.

jpgreen

I found it:

Link

Long link fixed by cruel admin

Shotgun

Quote from: jpgreen on January 15, 2006, 07:49:22 PM
Link

Long link fixed by cruel admin

What happens?  Does it take you to Kevin? :D
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Chris Burchfield

I rebuilt a 10 HP Wisconson w/no problems. Didn't smoke when I finished. The cast iron sleeve was honed and the rings seated fine. The engine was on a lawn mower. Sounds like an excellent deal to me. Go for it, and get the saw dust flowing in your veins. Chris.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum Alwaysoily.Saw away and have a grand time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isassi

Hey Alwaysoily; I was looking on the sawmillexchange.com and there are a few mills you might want to check out. You can call Brian toll free and he will pass along the info for contact. Good luck

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum git a mill make some dust. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

alwaysoily

Thanks to all that responded.  I guess asking a question like that is like asking a farmer which color tractor they like better, red or green!!  However after doing more research it seems to be a good deal.  I will admit  that this will be a part-time job, career, lifestyle?, and I am very much looking forward to cutting into some fresh wood.  I will make some posts after I get HER', and when I get enough wood under my belt maybee a suggestion or too!  Thanks again smiley_thumbsup

Tom

Alwaysoily, it'll be a part-time job until folks find out you have it.  You better go to the movies now.  You won't have much time latter.  :D :D

getoverit

Tom is right !

My new mill is still in transit getting to me, and already I have 4 jobs lined up to mill lumber for people that found out I'm getting it "through the grapevine" :)

People love to gossip, and when something new and different comes along to talk about, it goes around like wildfire.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Bibbyman

Congradulations and welcome to the Forum!

That LT30 Super may be 10 years old but it's still an awesom mill to start out with!

The guys are right..  One of the best places to advertize is around the cafe tabe.   I use to joke about Mary's Ol' Farts club.  That's what I called the group of old men that met at the cafe table at the local gas station/quick shop.  One or another would drop by every week or two on a nice day just to tell Mary they were going to need a board or two.  Then they'd go back to the cafe table and talk about the days when they worked at a sawmill - just like they could still do it today.  We lost money on them - considering the time we spent with them.  But they brought us a lot of business.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!