iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need info about timber good/bad left to us from Katrina

Started by capattack, January 15, 2006, 11:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capattack

Good morning guys.  As you can tell from my subject, we have 100,s of downed trees from Katrina.  It was suggested to us to purchase a portable sawmill. What we need to know is, how soon do we need to mill, how to maintain timber prior to milling etc.  Any info would help us go ahead with something whether it be storing timber for milling, clearing as debris, clearing to stack for milling etc.. Lots of concerns since we don't have a clue...except we are a campground and could use the lumber, as we are already utiling the smaller pieces for firewood for heating. HELP!

beenthere

A big welcome to the forum.
Likely, you will want to collect the logs for milling, and put a water sprinkler on them if not expecting to get them sawn up before the end of the summer (and that may be too long). That is a general comment. Depends on what the logs are. Pine, oak, etc. will have different results given the bugs and decay that affect them differently. Sealing the ends of the stored logs with something like anchorseal will help end checking.

There are a lot of different things to consider to get this done, beyond just getting a sawmill. Reading extensively in the threads on this site will give you the best education you can find.  Also, discussing your situation with a local forester who is familiar with the species you have will help as well, IMO.

Finding someone local that is willing to help you and knows about portable mills can also be a good guide in developing a plan.  Hang around here for more help.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Welcome, Capattack!  We have gained several new members from your region since the storm, and the industry has gained quite a few new sawyers. ;D 8) 8)

It isn't too late, by any means, but if you're gonna do it, you need to be making a move.  The bark on your pines should be slipping by now, and is easy to remove.  Getting it off will help the logs dry out faster and help keep the bugs out.  Get them up off the ground and in a place where they will get some sunshine.  The water sprinkler suggestion is a good one unless you're the one paying the water bill. :o

You can probably expect to find some staining on your lumber, as well as some deterioration of the outter inch or two of sap wood, but there will be plenty of good stuff there, too.  It will become less and less as time goes on, so either hire someone or get yourself a mill, right away.

Stick around here and you'll have all the knowledge you need to successfully salvage your logs. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

Welcome to the forum Capattack. Where are you located? As beenthere stated, getting the ends of the logs sealed is a big plus, the sooner the better. If you can't get the anchorseal, you can use a latex based paint, 2 coats. For pines, I would get the bark off, the beetles are probably already working on them. Another thing to do is get them off the ground, stack them on other logs that you are willing to sacrifice or on landscape timbers. Do you have any buildings you could stack milled lumber in to keep it out of the weather?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

johnjbc

This is what happens if you logs go to long. White Pine  ::)

This dozed over in the fall of 2004 and spring of 2005, cut off of the root ball in the summer of 2005 and sawed last October (2005)

This is a piece of Hickory Fire wood from the same project. You can see the bug laying below it.       

Would make good sheeting for a drying shed.  :D :)         
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

maple flats

Welcome capattack. I have milled logs that have been on the ground and neglected for years (some even over 12 yrs). The hardwoods do stain but the wood in many species remains mostly sound after an inch or two of loss, I have not done any with soft woods but I think it would lose more quickly unless either stacked and dried good OR keep it wet all of the time. The enemy is wet dry wet dry cycles. A local BIG name 100+ yr old furniture mfg does the wet thing. They have several acres of log piles and they all get sprinkled every several minutes to keep them wet. As I understand it this practice actually allows logs to dry from the inside out better? It must work or they would not be a premier Cherry Furniture Mfg for so long. It really looks strange driving by and seeing logs piled up over 12-14 or maybe even 16' high and being sprinkled every little while. I am told they have several years worth of logs in production time ahead and they still buy and pay right. Therefor keeping them wet must be the right way.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

WElcome!  Cap

I have been considering taking my mill for a cutting
trip to the hurrican affected area.

Would you be interested in some sawing for a time.

The experience would prepare you for the longer-haul
of cutting the rest of the trees.

Phil L.                 
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

A quick P.S.

I would like to do a mix of paid sawing and  some free,
especially, if there was a church or two which was
seriously pursuing helping the worst-off people with
some salvaged timber and dimension lumber.

Share cutting a possibility also.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hello again, Capattack,

Tried a personal message.  Can't email you, since you don't have one
listed in your profile.
:(
Could help, but can't reach you.  Send me an e-mail or a personal message.
;D
Phil L.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Maybe a summary is in order, "capattack"  :   :P

1.   Pine trees that still look fully alive...
           leave them alone unless you must cut them.
           THey can wait and be sawn later.
           The ones which look dead need to be cut from their roots,
            to be trimmed and topped, to become saw logs.
2.   Hardwood trees don't have their leaves on them right
            now, except for certain Oak trees and Magnolia ??
            Because of this, it is hard to judge their condition.
            Many of these may need to have the same treatment
            as mentioned above for the dead Pines.
4.          Coat the ends of all logs with either AnchorSeal or
             white acrylic roof coating, or (yuk) asphalt roofing coating.
            Then try to keep these logs wet.
5.    If you can keep all your logs off the ground, you are doing
             a good thing.  If you can knock off the bark, you are
             doing a good thing.
6.    The rate of breakdown and degrade is lessened by cold
             weather.   You need to do something with dead looking
             trees, now,  yesterday!  Once you approach the end of
             March and higher temperatures,   you begin to lose the
             battle, unless you have begun to sprinkle your log pile.

Phil L.                 Still want to help, but can't contact you. :'(

Thank You Sponsors!