iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Double cutting with a Peterson

Started by Troy, January 15, 2006, 03:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

For those of you who have asked before or may be curious as to how it's done, let me just say that double cutting with my Peterson ATS is not at all difficult.  One thing that I noticed and want to pass on is that there is a small ridge left where the two cuts come together.  This is due to the "lean in" setting of the blade.  The circle blade is actually set slightly lower on the right as it passes through the log on a horizontal cut.  This keeps the left side of the blade from re-cutting as you work your way across the face of the log moving from left to right as you proceed.  A tiny ridge is left behind where two normal cuts across the face of the log meet up, this indicates a good lean in setting.  When double cutting a wide board, the lean in is exageraged due to the fact that you are now using the left hand side of the blade, which is tilted up ever so slightly, to make the cut on the right of the log.  So what you end up with is a wide board that is flat on the top side, as you cut it off the log, and the bottom side will have a distinct ridge where the two cuts come together.  After I remove the double cut board I set it aside and clean the top of the log.  Then I put the double cut board back on top with bottom, ridged side, up.  Position the blade to the left as you would normally and skim the top of the board working across in a couple passes allowing the right side of the blade to level the ridge smooth. 
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

NZJake

Gidday Troy,

What I normally do to minimise that step is raise the winch down one click when your about to do your reverse cut. Thats ussually about the correct distance required to get both cuts parallel with each other. The line will still be there but it will be very slight.

Another option is to use a sliver of sawdust or even a thin bottlecap between the large (1/2" bolt) horizontal tilt adjuster. An easy way to take that tilt out without adjusting the saw blade.

Cheers, Jake.

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Captain

I'll echo Jake with this one comment...

I use the "shim the stop method".  The stop Jake is describing is the visible 1/2" bolt head that you see near the blade guard that the swing cradle stops against with the blade in the vertical position.   I've developed a spacer shim using an old Chevrolet starter shim to stick in there that is the perfect size for my mill.  I intended to hang it there on a cable, but I've not done it yet.  The intersect line is eliminated by just putting this shim in the stop on the cuts from the right side.

We are enjoying the pictures Troy!!

Captain

Troy

Jake, thanks for the tip!  Can't wait to give that a try.  Got to love the resource of of years of experience here on the forum! 

Captain, I promise more pics will be on the way soon.
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

DanG

Man!  You Peterson guys really take care of your customers here on The ForestryForum! 8) 8)

Jake has also settled an old question for a lot of us.  Being on the bottom side of the globe, and thereby, upside down,  he raises his mill down.  Up here, where we enjoy a more proper vertical perspective, we would have to lower it. ;) ;D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jpgreen

The Peterson guys have learned the fine art of promoting remorse and envy in the hearts of other type sawmill owners..  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Part_Timer

Dan

It helps that when we have the boards stacked and dinner over we can ask questions cause they haven't even had lunch.  A big advantage.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

maple flats

A big pile of logs would help! ;D . Good job there. Makes me want to set my mill up and get sawing again, but then I would end up missing the maple sugar season so I must force myself to wait until after mapleing is over.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!