iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

St. Louis, MO area sawmill owners

Started by stl_6string, January 14, 2006, 11:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stl_6string

I live in the St. Louis area and I am interested in buying a portable mill. I have never owned or operated a mill. I would like to know if someone in the St. Louis area/region would like to demo/teach and/or could use some cheap/free labor on a weekend or two maybe three...?

moosehunter

Besides waiting for an answer here, check out the members map. Also ask any manufacturers that you are looking at for local owners. I know that Norwood has a list of owners that are willing to show off thier machines, I am sure the others do the same.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

thecfarm

You may want to check out the Show,Events and places to meet forum for a demo near you.Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kirk_Allen

stl_6string,
welcome to the forum. 

I believe KevinH is about an hour out of St. Louis.  He has a Woodmizer operation.  Dont think any of us would turn down free labor.

Im a couple hours east of the Arch so may be a little far to come but I'll take all the free labor I can get.

I think Bibbyman is a couple hrs west of the Arch but it may be further.  Pro Sawyer Mary could teach you bout anything you wanted to know.  Bibby might have a few tips also.   ;D

VA-Sawyer

Kirk,
Don't give the guy so many options. Just tell him how to get to your place and that he is scheduled to start 7am on Sat for the next 4 weekends.  :D
VA-Sawyer

Kirk_Allen

Will be cutting Monday All day so come on over ;D ;D

Thanks VAS

ronwood

stl_6string,

welcome to the forum. I'm about 1hr. west of St. Louis in Warrenton. Run a woodmizer mill simuliar to Kirk, Kevin & Bibbyman. Welcome to come out if you would like. Bibbyman probably around 45 mi furthur west.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Kirk_Allen

Sorry about that Ron.  Forgot your just west of the Arch.

ronwood

No problem Kurt. Matter fact there is another Woodmizer about 1/2 mile from me.  I don't think he is a member of the forum.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

TomFromStLouis

Who is that Ron? I thought I had met them all. PM me if you prefer.

stl -6string: Let me know if and when you are sawing. I hire sawyers frequently. What kind of saw you looking at?

This is me: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Frank_Pender

Welcome, a borad, 6String.   I am a bit further West of the arch.  You are welcome here as well.  It may take you about 4 or 5 days, but the drive is worth the effort.  I can help you learn to operate a Mobile Dimension mill.  In fact I could let you use one of the two I have.  You would have your choice of being inside or outside.   8)
Frank Pender

IL Bull

I'm 2 hours north on I55.  Have several 6 strings and one five string also.
Welcome to the forum. :) :)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Kevin_H.

hey stl_6string,
I am just about an hour from the PSB Just hop on route 3 ( that will get ya close anyway) and come on down.

you are much better off at my place, most of what I saw is only 1/2", if ya go to kirks he will have ya pulling much heavier boards.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Kirk_Allen

Now Kevin how am i supposed to get any help around here when you keep warning folks about them thick boards :o ;D :D

Kevin_H.

Sorry Kirk, but anyone who saw logs so big that he can only get one of them on his trailer?

Well he should have to have some kind of disclaimer about heavy lifting.

just looking at that pic makes my back hurt. :D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Kirk_Allen

Wait until you see the pic of the butt end of that log :o It split when it fell so we cut off the lower 12 feet of it and it measured 50" at the base.  Its a WHOPPER 8) 8) 8)

Coon

So what are you going to do with that split section of the tree?  Is it worth sawing or did it split too badly?
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Kirk_Allen

It split perfectly up the middle.  I plan on quarter sawing it.  Since its split right down the middle it will make it easier to saw and being white oak, I know it will be full of fleck.  The goal is to get some 24"+ wide q sawn baords out of it. 

btucker

Hey Guys I am looking to hire someone with a portable sawmill to come on my farm and mill some tress for me.   I have between 30 & 50 trees.  The farm is between Hannibal and Bowling green.  Do you guys know of anyone?

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum btucker!

Go up to the top of the page and click on "Forum Extras", then click on "Find a Sawyer/Forester".

There should be someone with a portable mill not to far from you.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Buck

I'm in DeRidder, La. I'll feed ya and put you up for a few days. Top that guys! 8)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Bibbyman

If you want to see demos of sawmills,  most of the sponsors of the Forum will be at Midwest Forest Industry show this weekend (Sept 30 - Oct 1, 2011) at Cape Girardeau, MO.

http://moforest.org/mfis/index.html

Wood-Mizer and Baker are listed.   EZ Boardwalk is usually there as well as others.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!