iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sharpening problems

Started by smwwoody, October 11, 2002, 10:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

I am looking for a used sharpener and setter. I have been useing Twolf bands because there is a sharpening center about 25 miles from my mill.  this makes it nice every friday afternoon throw the dull ones in the truck and take a ride and pick up last weeks drop off  but i am not real happy with his service I think he has so much work on his hands that he does not give the time to each band.  looks like he just throws them in his auto sharpener and lets them run a few passes and out they come sharp or not ???  

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

woodman

UPS picks up my blads at the house for resharp WM willdo them right every time.
Jim Cripanuk

smwwoody

I tried that but I don't have good luck with WM blades now if I could just get them to sharpen Twolf things would be great!!!
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Tom

My opinion is that you should have a setter and sharpener whether you send your blades out or not.  It helps to have the backup to do your own blades in case you run into a problem with transportation or just want to use some old blades.  It also benefits you as a sawyer to stay familiar with the configuration of blades so that you can judge whether your sharpening service is doing a good job or not.  Being able to judge their work is a lot better than wondering why their blades aren't cutting.  Being able to configure blades for a special job is kind of neat too. :)

Thank You Sponsors!