iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best place you've found for online storage?

Started by Paschale, January 12, 2006, 09:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Hi guys,

I've been thinking of uploading my pictures and video files that I've taken online--I worry sometimes about losing them all in a hard drive crash, or a house fire, (God forbid!).  Often people say that what they miss most after a fire are photos.   :(  I'd like to have an extra online backup of the ones I really like, besides my disc backups, plus, it'd be nice to always have access to them, as well as share them with others.  At the same time, I don't wanna pay an arm and a leg.

Have you guys found some places that work well, for both jpegs and mpegs?  I've uploaded some pictures to yahoo, but honestly, I'd like to go with a pay service, where you know they'll never decide in a policy meeting to yank everybody's pictures offline or something.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

beenthere

SD
Smugmug and --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- are a couple.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Why don't ya just park the discs at somebody else's house?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paschale

Quote from: DanG on January 13, 2006, 12:08:05 AM
Why don't ya just park the discs at somebody else's house?

I want to be able to share pictures with family and friends online, so that's more important than the possibility of losing them actually.  I want to be able to send a link where they can just go and check out my albums, as well as movie clips.

Minnesota_boy

Who is you ISP?  Most of them provide you with some space for a website, but they don't specify that that is all you can put there.  For a small fee they will give you quite a bit more too.  Always handy to have someone to call when you can't get at them or screw something up and need a bit of help wioth it too.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sprucebunny

I've been using --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--. Another forum I enjoy uses it to host all thier photos. There is a free version and a pay version.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Larry

Another vote for --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--...use them to host web site pictures and never a problem.  I also get 5 meg free from my ISP and another 5 meg for an additional $2.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Modat22

I use --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- for my free online files
and www.ripway.com for larger avi's, gif, mp3's etc.

Ripway has a free option but the amount of transfer is very low. I ususally just pay 5 bucks for 150 meg transfer day option.
remember man that thy are dust.

Corley5

I've heard --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- is good and I think that's what my wife uses.  These online photo sharing places remind me of the old Photo Point.  Cool place for pics, easy to use etc until one day they went belly up.  It was resurrected for a short time then went under again.  If you wanted your pics that had been stored you could have them burned on a CD for $35.  Epson's photo sharing sight was using a suspiciously similar format after that. ;)  I'd keep back ups on CDs at home or like Dang says at friends house.  Just remember to reburn them every 5 years or so ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Onthesauk

Kodak Easy Share got a real good review in our paper a couple of weeks ago.  I downloaded the free part for organizing pictures on your own computer but haven't looked at the subscription part. 
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Jeff

What does it cost for a pay service and how much room do they alot? I can do some research and see if there is a way we could do our own.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Modat22

I think it cost me 5.00 a month for 100 meg of storage and 150 meg of access a day.
remember man that thy are dust.

Larry

--Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- free service is 50 meg storage with 2,500/month meg transfer.  For $25/year ya get a gig of storage and transfer is unlimited.  All the pictures I have stored there have been optimized to some extent.  They had a few problems when they first started but they really seem stable now.

Don't know a thing about the photo album thing as I never use that feature.

I put my original pictures on a CD bout every 6 months for backup.  I suppose if you had a broadband connection you could get a gmail account and email all your pictures to yourself for backup.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Paschale

Quote from: Corley5 on January 13, 2006, 10:29:04 AM
Just remember to reburn them every 5 years or so ;)

Why?  Do they degrade somehow?   ???

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

FiremanEd

http://www.imageevent.com/    has worked real well for me. All you have to do is give your username that's added to the end and they're looking at your pics.      http://www.imageevent.com/fireals

I think it's about $20/year.

Eddie
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

gizmo

I just got a DVD Double layer burner that holds 8.5 gigs. Thats a lot of pictures. Sure beats the storage on cd's. Also can be used with your dvd player you use on your TV. The DVD's are quite pricey yet but I'm sure they will come down. I think I paid $32.00 for 10 of them. 

Thank You Sponsors!