iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

After market pistion for husky 272xp

Started by Left Coast Chris, January 11, 2006, 09:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Hello,
I was given a Husky 272xp in a box from a friend that used it to cut a couple chords of firewood a year so the saw plastics are in pretty good shape from light to moderate use.  A not on it said it quit while sawing and would not restart.  The note from a saw shop said it needed a cylinder and piston.    My son (17) wanted a project so he pulled the cylinder and the piston was free and only the ring was frozen so it did not protrude on one side of the piston.   My initial reaction was to look for a new pistion and ring.   On ebay there was several after market piston kits for a 272 with pistion, ring, pin and clips made by GB with a red with white box.   Question 1)  will a piston kit for a 272 work in a 272xp?  Question 2)  Is the GB make a good piston and the way to go (they sell for about $35).     We will be using the saw only moderatly also but do not want to ruin the cylinder if the pistion is not quality.    -thanks-

Chris
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

stumpy

Call the guys at Baileys (see the sponsor list on the left). They repair saws and sell parts. I've talked to them before and they realy know their stuff.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

SawTroll

Quote from: farmer77 on January 11, 2006, 09:41:51 PM
 Question 1)  will a piston kit for a 272 work in a 272xp? 

There never were a non-xp 272, so the kits must be meant for the 272xp.
Information collector.

Left Coast Chris

Thanks for the advise.  I have had good luck with Baileys in the past.  Just not sure about the GB brand piston.............they should know.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Chris J

I wouldn't hesitate to go with GB aftermarket parts, but I'd definately make sure 272 & 272xp are indeed the same (closed port cylinder).
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Thank You Sponsors!