iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand meet Jack knife

Started by jon12345, January 11, 2006, 06:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon12345

While tryin to open a can of juicy-juice I managed to stab myself in the hand.  smiley_furious Maybe next time I'll get the right tool for the job.  Any of ya ever stab yourself in the skin between your index & thumb? Or gotten hurt usin a tool for something other than its intended use?  I guess there is some value to the saying 'the right tool for the job'  ::)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Radar67

Jon, I once lodged a screw into the meat between my thumb and index finger. The screwgun slipped  :o and made a "B" line for skin. I had to get a hand screwdriver to remove the screw, it was buried pretty good. No blood til I removed it. Go figure.  ;D As I remember, it took a while for the soreness to go away.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

jon12345

The good news is, it stopped bleeding, bad news is, it hurts to move my thumb at all.  At least now I know where the can opener is ::)

Jeff you are a die hard, I wouldn't be on the pc if my hand looked like that, not even for the forestry forum  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

beenthere

Ouch!!

My hand looked like Jeff's after a bee stung me when I was in 5th grade. Very swollen. I carefully explained to my penmanship teacher that I was going to be unable to do the test that day, "just look at my hand"!
She quickly said, "then use your right hand, as you are right-handed anyway".  :o  Shocked me that she knew that!  ::)  ;D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quartlow

Oh yeah I know all about sticking things in that web of meat, best one, framing up a wall, grabbed the 2x4 with my left hand  framing gun in the right, held the inside in place and nailed from the outside, except the nail hit a knot and detoured out the side, Right between my thumb and finger. Effectivly nailig me to the wall  ::) All I could do was give my hand a jerk, hurt like crazy for weeks
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Bill

Jon12345

Sorry to hear about your hand - glad the bleeding stopped but hurting to move your thumb bears watching. So a little trivia FWIW. I've had pretty good luck lately putting honey on open sores - even infected ones - as it is an old cure ( the Romans used it when their legions went to battle for battlefield dressings for the wounded ) . It allows the skin to heal but keeps bacteria germs and such out - better then most ointments that kill the bateria and also the new growing skin - at least for me. Also if it was me I'd keep an eye on my temperature - if it starts to go up I would head to the doctor. I've had a few infections in my day - DanG the hospital has even taken pictures to show all their newbies what blood poisoning looked like.

Take Care/Good Luck

RichlandSawyer

i'm building a new band mill and progress was going along alittle too well so i decided to try and slow things down with a self inflicted wound. Trying to cut your thumb off with a 4 1/2" angle grinder will really throw the brakes on any project.
Ruined a brand new pair of them fancy mechanics gloves too. Everytime i put those gloves on now i see that scar peeking out through the hole and it reminds me to be a little more careful.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

sawguy21

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I have more scars than I care to count from stunts like that. Once I was bucking the tops off rhubarb and sliced my index finger from the second joint to the tip. I'm DanGerous with sharp objects
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Button

And you guys run chainsaws ?? Remind me to skip the pigroast. I would hate to hear all the "play with fire " stories. Enjoy the day
66 timberjack 230
394xp
365 special x 2
woodmaster
the rabbits may outrun the skidder but the saw will catch up to the tree

Burlkraft

You's guy's should be more careful.....................

I've never done anything like that........I just happen to know all the people at the Portage Hospital emergency room through other events.

That time with the bandsaw....well that was just a small mishap

The time the hunk of wood flew out of the lathe and hit me in the head...that was bad karma

The time I jumped off the falling ladder and tore up my knee.....well that was the ladder's fault.

Really I never do anything like that ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Danny_S

Ouch. More about this and other bangs and crashes HERE...

Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Todd

I was clearing some brush and branches on the trails in our woods when the machette I was using went through a 2" branch easier than I was expecting and took a slice about the size of my pinkie out of my lower right leg.  Went up to the house and cleaned it out, but the meat was gone so no sense trying to get it stitched back together.......About two months later and the thing won't seem to heal....scabs over and then falls off.....hurts to walk sometimes....two new marks on my leg in the area of the slice.....and a nasty smell....maybe I ought to get it looked at ::)

Doctor went nuts on me...."You took a slice out of your leg with a machette and didn't think that warranted comming in??!"    (new age city doctors get so excited)   Well, after some anti-biotics and a week of soaking with epsom salts and creams it was fine, but my opinion on medical matters around the house are usually ignored! ;D
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

woodbowl

Quote from: jon12345 on January 11, 2006, 06:50:14 PM
  Any of ya ever stab yourself in the skin between your index & thumb?

If I did, I wouldn't tell ya'.  ;D  That's the answer I usually give a customer when he ask if I've ever ran into my own mill with the blade. .....  Have you ever been movong 2 X 4's and let them slide through your hands when releasing them?  yeeeeeowwww  !!  A treated splinter sure does burn when it's sticking through your cracklin's.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Modat22

Never did it to myself but a doctor did it to me several times with 2 electrical probs for a nerve test..

I don't want to have any more of those done...... ever.
remember man that thy are dust.

Jeff

Danny_S  I'll trade more hand for less hand anytime!  THats just plain nasty!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

I'm reading this eating my lunch, guy's.  So take it easy on the pic's! ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Danny_S

Yea, it was pretty nasty.. The other part was that I was wearing gloves. After it happened, I took my other glove off and set them on my workbench together. They were brand new. Well, you know what happens when you leave something shiny at work setting out unlocked... heh.. well the guy came to me the next day, and said he would never "borrow" a pair of gloves from me again after what he found in the tip of the right hand's middle finger   :D :D 
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

pigman

A few years back while making barrows out of little boars I tried to cut my thumb off. :(  I would have succeeded except the bone got in the way. ::) I can't shoot marbles with my left thumb any more, but that is alright since I am right thumbed. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!