iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how much water or moisture content in these two types of logs

Started by alsayyed, January 11, 2006, 08:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Dear friends I sometimes collect different types of logs which sometimes dose not have any name or people do not know what it is?. I have few hard wood logs called kinya or kini or vicks tree and eucalyptus log. When I mill them I get some few   moisture or amount  of water I have to place them in the klin that I have built 4 months ago. Which I take the heat from the sun and use fun inside to below the hot air. The question which is confuses a lot is how do I know the percentage of water should be allocated for these types tree. Is there any formula or method I should be following. I have looked at many internet sites I could not find anything about the logs I have only I have found about eucalyptus but do not say how much water should stay inside.

Den Socling

alsayyed,

Are you asking what amount of water should be left (called final MC) when you take different species out of your kiln? If that is the question, the answer is that final MC is the same for all species. What changes final MC is the intended use of the wood.

If this is what you are asking about, read a little about equilibrium moisture content (EMC). You will find that the final MC depends on the EMC where the wood will be used. What you will find is that 12% is good for some uses while 6% is needed for others. Worse than that, imagine that you are building a table and it's going to a home with air conditioning. The MC of the wood should be around 6%. Suppose instead that the table is going to a home with no air conditioning. Now it might be better at 12%.

Den

alsayyed

than you Den this is what I am looking for, I mean the final dry, and the wood ready to put to work. I am trying to get more information and detailes. Again I thank you.

Ianab

I'm guessing you live in a desert climate where humidity is fairly low. So the equilibrium moisture content of you dry wood will also be low. I'd guess below 8% ?
It doesn't need to be exact, because it will vary with the seasons anyway, but the closer you get to the average value the less movement you will get later.

In my local climate I can call 12-14% dry, but then average humidity here is something over 80%.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Den Socling

Ian,

Qatar juts into the Persian gulf off Saudi Arabia. I've never been there but I know that coastal cities in SA can be very hot and very humid while cites in the interior are still very hot but dryer. Alsayyed's EMC is probably higher than a deset climate.

Den

Ianab

QuoteAlsayyed's EMC is probably higher than a deset climate.

may be true  ???

What he probably needs to do is measure some wood thats been sitting around the house for a few years... and aim for that number  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Den Socling

I have a map of North America that was made by Delmhorst. It shows EMC's in different areas of the country. It's a good guide for wood that isn't going into AC. I wonder if such a map is available for the middle east. You never know who is out there or what they know. I have been corresponding with a Dr. Mohebby at a university in Tehran, Iran about vacuum kilns. Can you imagine?  ??? From what I see, the students in his forestry classes are much like any anywhere. Somebody in the middle east may have a map showing EMC's. But then, if alsayyeds' wood is going into an AC office, it must be under 8%.

jimF

The Forest products laboratory in Madison WI USA, in the past few years has put out a publication that has EMC's around the world.  it may have the middle east.  I think the author was Bill (William) Simpson

Frank_B

Here's what the CIA Fact Book says about Qatar...

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/qa.html

From the brief explanation, and from first hand reports during the first military encounter in SWA, anyone with any level of afluence is living in air conditioning.

I'm more curious as to where al is getting his logs  ???

Frank

alsayyed

Quote from: Frank_B on January 12, 2006, 09:14:57 AM

I'm more curious as to where al is getting his logs  ???

Frank

I get my log from some farms. Normally they cut the trees and through them out. Or sometimes the municipality cut the trees from the resident or some houses, or some times they cut trees from a road when this road comes under construction. But mostly from farms which unwanted trees, like the eucalyptus or Vicks or sometimes cider but not American cider it is different it is white wood they use this for fire when people camp in the desert during the winter season  and it is called ZIYPHUS SPINI-CRISTI

We do not many selection of wood, but I wish because we do not get rain all seasons. I hope this clear to a lot readers.

Thank You Sponsors!