iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dump Truck Ideas?

Started by getoverit, January 10, 2006, 07:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

My Brother usually only calls me when he wants something, but today he called and asked if I had any need for a dump truck. It seems he is trading an old car he has for 2 old dump trucks and he figured I could use one (I guess as some sort of repayment for things I have done for him?)

Anyway, the one he wants me to have is a 1973 with a diesel engine (he dont know what kind). Supposedly, it looks good and runs good, but there is some sort of problem with the hydraulics and it wont dump. He says it would take about $900 to fix what ever is wrong.

I really dont need a dump truck, but since it is FREE, I figured I could cut the sides off of it and use it as a flatbed, which I CAN use.  Other than cutting up the dump bed, y'all got any ideas on what you could use a big old dump truck for?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

isawlogs

I would bring it to the farm and my nephews would have all the roads graveled by the time summer would be over .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

stumpy

Believe me, that truck can't be fixed. It'll cost too much. Why don't you send it up to me and I'll get rid of it for ya!!!!  Just tryin ta help ya out!!!!
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

isawlogs

Stumpy ... ya cant have it my nephews are allready planning how many loads it will take ,. ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

stumpy

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Skytramp

Trade the dump bed for something you can use, provided they do the removal.
SkyTramp.
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

getoverit

I've seen the flatbed rig Tom has, and I really like it (a kodiak I think). I really could use something for hauling milled lumber, but I dont think it would be long enough to haul logs on without really doing some work to it. With it being a 1973 model, I'm thinking it probably isnt going to be worth putting alot of money into... I might be wrong though, will have to wait until it arrives and see.

What I'm thinking is maybe have a pretty big tool box on it, a flat bed for the rest, and then do all of my portable milling with the Peterson loaded up on it. If it is a flatbed, I could haul off lumber for those jobs that I trade for?

I just wondered if any of y'all had ideas or had big trucks already with some sort of bed/body on the back, and what you would do with it or do different than what you have?

Skytramp

I have a GMC brigadere ten wheeler 350 cummins with a 20 ft steel flatbed on it, the only thing I plan to do is build some log bunks that will fit into the side holes when I need to haul logs.  Insurance is a lot less expensive for a flatbed than a log truck. My bundles average somewhere around 600 bd ft, I can haul 8 bundles, cants, 6 lumber without overloading.
SkyTramp;

Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Hey, don't be diss'n 1973.

I got a '73 F600 grain/flat bed dump just last year. 43,000 on it, yes original :)

Everything works1
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Flyboy

;) GOI, let me know what kind and size truck your gettin. I've got an 77 IH 1800 in my bone yard. Got a pump with control valve on it sittin on the floor in my garage too. If your rig won't dump it's probably the pump or valve, pto shaft or a hose. FIRST check and see if it's got oil in the tank (if it's got one) or in the cyclinder.  Oh yeah, the motors got to be runnin too :D
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

sawguy21

I could find all kinds of jobs for a truck like that. Even if you don't need the dump, a flat deck with a knuckleboom would be real good as long as the GVWR is adequate. Of course, if you are not going to licence it, that won't matter
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Murf

A couple of points to bear in mind about a big old truck;

They are not exactly Geo Metro's, even with a diesel, you may find it takes less gas in a pickup truck than diesel in a big truck.

The DOT really love to see 30+ year old trucks comin' down the road, so much so they usually pull 'em over so's they can have a lookey-see at them up close.  ;)

A dump truck box uses the sides as part of the structure, if you remove them what's left may buckle if you try tipping a big load.

If it's got air brakes you could have license issues, and maintenance issues, and maybe CDL issues.

Old trucks usually have old tires, new ones can be spendy, 'especially when it's times 6 or 10 ....  :o

Have somebody who really knows their way 'round a truck have a squint at it before you go to far along, or it could be pricey.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Modat22

An old dump truck would make one heck of a log splitter..
remember man that thy are dust.

rebocardo

I would sell the dump body and use the money to buy some nice used steel and put on a real flatbed.

sawguy21

Quote from: Modat22 on January 11, 2006, 02:47:30 PM
An old dump truck would make one heck of a log splitter..
Now that is an interesting idea. Split and stack on the truck deck then haul to market. Hmmm.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

highpockets

I'll trade you an international cotton picker with hydrostatic drive for it.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

getoverit

Quote from: highpockets on January 12, 2006, 06:07:30 AM
I'll trade you an international cotton picker with hydrostatic drive for it.

It all depends on what size it is.... if it is too big for my needs, I may be interested in trading it for something smaller... what I really want is a 1 ton flatbed

woodbowl

That ole' dump truck may come in handy if it can be worked into your sawing somehow. I've got a bucket truck that I don't need any more. Been thinking about trading it, matter of fact. What I really need is a back hoe. You ain't got no free back hoes that's fell in your lap lately have you?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

J_T

Highpockets I got a cottonpicker I made a forklift out of Wish it had highdrostatic drive  8) If it's all thare and not bent out of shape that dump a good back yard mechinic can fix it cheep . It you get that bed up when working on it put a four x four across it where it can't drop while playing with it and watch where you got your fingers I know a guy that was lying under his truck and tripped the down valve with his fingers on the frame :'( :'(
Jim Holloway

Flyboy

:) I was in the firewwod bis for 5 years, got an IH M 623B 10 wheeler, she 's a monster! Made a pretty cool body for firewood that works for stumps, logs, lumber, silage, and most anything bulky. If I was smart enough to post a pic of it I would.
It's 16' X 8' X 8' all 1/4" steel open top box with a swinging barn door tailgate. The headboard is moveable and not connected to the sides. Got a 20 ton winch mounted in the frame with a cable to the back that goes around a shive in the floor, to a shive in the headboard, back to the rear where it's anchored to the floor. Put your PTO in gear, winch the cable in and the headboard "pushes" the load back. It'll put 5 cord of stove wood in a nice big pile right by your back door.. I've hauled lumber with it, put bunks on the ground, winch part of your load out, rap a chain around it, winch it the rest of the way till it teeters, pull your rig ahead, flop goes your load on bunks all stacked up nice. Logs pretty much same thing, I've loaded it with a picker, got to a mill with no loader, pushed it out on the ground, went home. It works just like a garbage truck. slickest thing you ever saw for firewood. 8)
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

getoverit

I can almost picture it in my head, Flyboy! It sounds like a really neat idea.  I really wanted a 1 ton flatbed truck so that I can haul excavators on my trailer without it getting all fishtailed with me, and also a flatbed would give me enough flat space to haul some lumber around on.

When my brother called with the offer of the dumptruck, I told him I'd take it (since it's free). I understand its a Diamond Del Rio dump truck, and if my thinking is right, this is going to be way too big for my needs.  I'll know more when I actually see it :)

isassi

If you are coming through Oklahoma...I have a '55 Chevy 6400 with a dump bed..take it home with you..it would make a classic..log splitter...flatbed...orwhatever..long as it is classic. :D

Flyboy

;)GOI, Thats Diamond Reo, They were a good truck in their day. Gas or Diesel? Single X or Screw? If your into it, check out The American Truck Historical Society, lots of folks with lots of old rigs, Theres actully a place in their mag that sells Diamond Reo restoration parts. No doubt you aint gonna go to truck shows with your free be, but interesting reading for anybody likein old trucks. 8)
Flyboy

getoverit

I know its a diesel, but other than that I dont know anything else. I'm kinda hoping its a single rear axle. I could use that better than a big twin screw rig. My Brother does some strange horse trading sometimes, so I never know what he's gonna come up with.

I'd still rather have the 55 flatbed :) I could haul my 57 chevy to car shows with it when not hauling sawmill and lumber. Since I know somebody is gonna ask to see it, Here's a pic of it... still a work in progress, but it's getting close to being road worthy. Has almost everything new in it, white leather interrior, new paint, new rims and tires, a new 350, new headers... new stainless trim, the list goes on and on..

beenthere

getoverit
That is a beautiful car. Wish I still had my '57, as it was a 4-dr hardtop. Four youngsters came when I had it, and had to sell it in '64.
Looks like you are missing the gas cover and trim. 
Looks great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!