iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead windbreaks (pines)

Started by woodsteach, January 10, 2006, 12:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

What is a good use for the dead and dying pine windbreaks that are becomming more and more abundant in my area?(SE Neb.) 

I have several landowners who will give me the trees (after they are down).  My question is do I want to take them and mill them.  I do not have a market currently for them.  I do not have a kiln either.  So do I take the trees.  mill them into 1x's and stack and sticker and air dry or let them go to the big bonfire. 

Thanks

Paul

Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Phorester

Don't know if you have a market such as we do, but here in my part of Virginia, dead pines can be chipped and sold as bedding for horses.  Dead pines are used because there is virtually no miosture in the chips.  Better for the horses than "green" bedding.

With the problem of dead pines with bacteria stain, fungi etc., any lumber made from them might not be worth much.

ksu_chainsaw

Since Flair-Fold closed down in Hiawatha, everyone around here is having to have wood bedding shipped in from further away.  I know that there are several places around here that use the wood shavings for show livestock, and the county fair uses LOTS of those bags for the show arena.  I know that I would like to have some of the lumber, but most windbreak trees that I have taken out are either not big enough or not straight enough for lumber.

Charles

Wes Lyon

Paul

How big / long /many are these dead pines.  I have built with them in the past (cabins and timber frames).  If they are the right size and enough of them I might be interested in some of them.  I am located about 120 miles south of Falls City.  Let me know...

Many thanks ...

SwampDonkey

What's killing the pine? chainsaw?, bark beetle?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodsteach

Thanks for the replies.  The pines are dying from the bark bettle/pine wilt. I think there are approx 24 trees and the owner said they are over 60 yrs old.  I'll get more info such as size and quantity.

Yes KSU a couple that I have looked at are mostly to small for much use.  Do you have a grinder I'll supply the trees you supply the grinder and well keep brown county covered in sawdust  ;)

Well must go get the kids ready for school

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Minnesota_boy

What I would do with them depends a bit on how long they have been dead and how much drying they have done.  If they are freshly dead, not cracked or rotting, I'd cut them and mill them into 1x6's for paneling.  Being windbreak trees, they probably have too many limbs to make good structural material, but paneling needs much less strength to be viable.  They will have blue stain, but the blue stain with the knots makes some really beautiful paneling.  It may take some marketing to get it accepted in your area, but the potential for profit is there, provided you don't fall in love with them and decide to add some paneling to your own place.

If they have dried out enough to begin cracking up the stem, then chipping seems a lot better use for them.  Usually the cracks will meander enough that you cannot saw around them to make usuable lumber.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

woodsteach

Well yesterday I finished cutting down one of the windbreaks before the dozer pushed them in a pile.  All in all I think 24 16' scotts pines with most 16" at the small end.  Not to bad for a days work for a part timer.   And then I took a log to the mill that obviously had the blue stain and cut it up and it looks great.  (I know lets see the pix... maybe later next week  ;))
My question is what now with the blue stain, (I've done the search thing) I am not going to kd the lumber unless you guys say I must. 

Does the fungus die?  What about the fungus that is in the middle of a 2" board?  Does it die as well?

Paul

Ianab

QuoteDoes the fungus die?  What about the fungus that is in the middle of a 2" board?  Does it die as well?

Once the moisture content of the wood gets below ~20% the fungus stops growing.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: woodsteach on February 03, 2006, 01:49:31 PM
Well yesterday I finished cutting down one of the windbreaks before the dozer pushed them in a pile.  All in all I think 24 16' scotts pines with most 16" at the small end.  Not to bad for a days work for a part timer.   And then I took a log to the mill that obviously had the blue stain and cut it up and it looks great.  (I know lets see the pix... maybe later next week  ;))
My question is what now with the blue stain, (I've done the search thing) I am not going to kd the lumber unless you guys say I must. 

Does the fungus die?  What about the fungus that is in the middle of a 2" board?  Does it die as well?

Paul

I was wondering if your pine were as crooked as most scots pine that were planted here 40 years ago. The newer (I mean more recently planted) cultivars are much straighter since they switched to a better seed source. Those things spread seed and take over a good pasture and road side ditches if not kept in check. We have a major weevil problem with them here and most local Christmas tree growers have gave up on them. I have seen some decent stands of them planted in northern Maine. I like the orange-like coloured bark, but would rather have red pine.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pedajas

Here the scotch pine (pinus sylvestris is the most common forest tree and grows up to 50 meters in tall (usually mature stands are 30-35 m tall).
The blue stain in sapwood is the common picture of fungus grow for pine.
That fungus is not destroying wood structure but feeds itself with the free nutrients  in the wood.
The 20% moisture level is accepted as the boundary between dry and moist wood. The real water content should be less from the level where all the water is incorporated by cellulose and there is no "free water" in wood allowing grow of funguses.

SPIKER

I have a power right away getting some trimming/clearing done this week.  they are taking 5~6 scotch pines with a base dia of about 14~16" and 50 or so feet high.   base is straight but is the size of worth working with or sealing for later use??

mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!