iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gritzzzzzzzz.

Started by thedeeredude, January 08, 2006, 09:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Well, I tried some grits last night.  the best way I can desribe it is you take plain pudding, water it down throw in cornmeal and some dog urine and its good to go :o  It was ok, but not something I'd write home about. 

shopteacher

Ain't that what Penndot spreads on the road for anti skid material?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Don K

If they were prepared up north, then there is a definite difference between northern grits and southern grits.   ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thedeeredude

Why, do they double the percentage of mechanically seperated roadkill down south? :D

CHARLIE

All grits ain't the same!  Instant grits is grits by name  only and is a sacriledge to real grits. It was invented by some Yankee that didn't know any better and was messing where he shouldn't a been a messing.  Quaker grits will suffice if a man can't get good grits but to have good grits it should be water ground.  Dixie Lilly brand is good grits. 

The problem with your conclusion about grits is that we don't know if you even fixed it proper.  Was it a decent brand? Did you put enough salt in it?  Was it the right consistency?  Did you have the proper food to go along with it?

What always has made me chuckle is that while Yanks complain about grits, they eat mush, which is like a cornmeal soup.  Did you know that Palenta is nothing more than grits?

Grits is brain food.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

thedeeredude

I guess to truly try grits, I need to go down south where they make em right.   :)

crtreedude

Yep, them southern's say "Grits are great" - of course as long as you bury them in various stuff - like enough salt and pepper (like empty the shakers) or gravy, or cheese... etc.

That is how they like their vegetables - for example - "Collards are great" as long as you dissolve a pig with them.

Okay you grits lovers - I want to see one of you with a plain bowl of grits - no salt, no pepper - JUST GRITS and eat the things.

ANYTHING edible taste good if you bury it enough in something tasty. 

The problem is, Northerns actually think that they are supposed to taste the grits - Southerners know better and think of them as merely an excuse to pile on the gravy or butter, or...  ::)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Don K

I agree with Charlie. It's all in the preparation. Everybody can't cook grits and I have traveled up to Yankeeland before and thought I was lucky to find some grits, But what I got was Gritzzs. I don't blame ya'll for not liking them either. I sure wouldn't eat them again.  :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'(                 ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

isawlogs

I've taken time out to look this up in my dictionnary and ...

Grit ☼ 1.  [stones]  GRAVILLON [in eye ]  poussière [ dust ]  2. [courage ]cran  vt  sabler

I guess one has to have courage , if one eats stone dust and knowing it can get in your eyes

Sabler  ... is to sand ....   So it must polish its way down .

Now this is coming from my French English dictionary , it could be wrong , it has in the past put me in a directio that was not quite wright ...   ;D  
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I was going to just merge this thread and all the other grits threads but then realized we would have to change the name of the whlole DanG Forum. :-\ >:(

;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don K

I guess we could call it the Gritzzz Eporium :D :D :D :D

crtreedude

WH_Conley

Bill

Bro. Noble

Well,  I was going to stay plumb out of this gritz fuss since I'm kinda on the line.  I like them now and again for variety,  but as I've stated before,  I'd druther have spuds.  The only thing that made me decide to put in my two cents here is a helpful hint to you yankees that are having a hard time with your grits.  Now,  maybe I shouldn't say anything cause I've never tried them that way (and don't have any immediate plans to),  but I don't think your supposed to put dog urine in them :o :o :o---------maybe that's part of your problem :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

Marcel, all I can say is that your dictionary must have been written by a foreigner. ;D

Thedeeredude, I know that even in the south you might not get good grits if you order them in a restaurant.  Especially those franchised ones.  I think there are too many Yankee cooks that moved down South and they can't cook good grits.  I've had grits in Florida restaurants that I wouldn't feed to a dog.  They can be ruined by a lousy cook.

CRTREEDUDE, there are many foods that require salt when cooking and grits is one of them.  I bet you put salt in oatmeal.  I bet you put salt in rice.  I bet you put salt in BBQ dry rubs.  I can't imagine anyone not salting any of their food.  So your argument about adding salt is on a false premise.  Also, it's been well documented on the forum that grits is a sidedish much like rice. Do you eat rice without salt or butter or gravy?  I'd love to watch you sit down and eat a bowl of plain rice with nothing on it. No salt.....nothing and tell me how much you enjoyed it.  :o

:)    
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

crtreedude

Nope, I don't eat rice either. I have a rule, if it can't stand on it's own, I don't eat it! Now, a little salt is okay, but I find I have to dump salt on grits to make them edible.

Don't get me wrong - I like salt - I just don't want to have salt with grits...

And I have had rice without salt - leftover rice with butter and sugar mmmmm.....

AND NO you heathen, you don't put salt in oatmeal! How dare you ruin oatmeal that way! Oatmeal to me is really good just roasted a little - but otherwise, just a little brown sugar (and I do mean a little) and perhaps butter.

Here in Costa Rica I have Gallo Pinto (the national disk) without the rice - just the beans with Salsa Lizano, cilantro, cebolla (onions), ajo (garlic), sweet peppers, etc. Fry a few eggs and drop on top.

Harold is learning to eat this stuff - pretty good too!

CHARLIE

I always have to be suspect of words from anyone that don't particularly like coffee and don't like grits or rice. ;D But I'm sure Harold will have you eating grits and wanting more in no time. :o

I hear you about the oatmeal and salt. I got the same lecture from Bothy_Loon about that.  Bothy_Loon wrote me, "Sugar in your porridge!  Na Na thatll no dae. Salt or nothing." :D
So I stand corrected about oatmeal.......but I'll continue to ruin mine with salt. ;)
Charlie

crtreedude

Charlie,

Coffee for me is life-blood. I have my own expresso maker and burr-grinder.

The sad thing is that my wife does like grits and serves them sometimes - and if you bury them deep enough, you don't even have to know they are there...

And her family has been yankees for 350 years - I thought I was safe.  :o

CHARLIE

:)You obviously married a fine person with a great taste in foods. ;D
Charlie

crtreedude

I solved the problem here - we have a full-time cook, who thinks grits are something we feed to the pigs...

isawlogs

The northern Grits spreader  ;) :) :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

IMERC

Quote from: thedeeredude on January 08, 2006, 09:19:19 AM
  It was ok, but not something I'd write home about. 

BUT YOU DID!!!!!!!
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on January 08, 2006, 10:41:05 AM
Well,  I was going to stay plumb out of this gritz fuss since I'm kinda on the line.  I like them now and again for variety,  but as I've stated before,  I'd druther have spuds.  The only thing that made me decide to put in my two cents here is a helpful hint to you yankees that are having a hard time with your grits.  Now,  maybe I shouldn't say anything cause I've never tried them that way (and don't have any immediate plans to),  but I don't think your supposed to put dog urine in them :o :o :o---------maybe that's part of your problem :D :D :D

You Sir.... Owe me a new keyboard, heck Ive been laffin for 30 minutes!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

IMERC

Quote from: CHARLIE on January 08, 2006, 10:18:25 AM
Instant grits is grits by name  only and is a

great pesticide. sprinkle some where ants and roaches can get to them. POOF! or would that be POP! they're history
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

crtreedude

See! See! that is why you don't eat grits - they is poison!

Thank You Sponsors!