iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best time to transplant

Started by ohsoloco, October 10, 2002, 07:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

I've been a passive reader of this forum for a while now, and figured it's about time I join in on the fun!  Actually, it's the question that I have that convinced me to join in!

I found a black walnut tree poking its head out from under  a spruce tree in the back yard--the walnut is probably three feet tall.  I'd like to transplant this tree to a different area of the yard, and would like to know the best time of the year to do this...as well as any other tips you could pass along to ensure the health of this tree.  Thanks.

ohsoloco

My first post and I already misspelled the subject   :D

Bro. Noble

Ohsoloco,

Welcome to the forum, I like that name-----sounds like an indian tribe.  If I were an Indian that's probably the tribe they would assign me to.  Actually I am part Cherokee.

A good thing about this forum is that they allow us to make mistakes.  Another good thing that is unusual for forums is that there are buttons that allow you to modify your post or to delete it altogether.

Transplating is best done in the fall or early spring when the plant is dormant.  Be sure to prune the top back so that transporation doesn't dry out the plant before the roots regain function.

If it were me I would hoe that sucker out and throw it over the fence.  Walnuts are really nice to have in the woods but in a yard, the foliage is not attractive,  the nuts are a nuisance, they give off a sappy substance that will get on your cars or house, and some plants won't grow in the area where there are walnut roots.  Just my opinion.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Bibbyman

Welcome Ohsoloco,

I use the "Modify" button (Thank you, thank you Jeff B!) on about every post I make and there are probably still a few miss-takes I've missed.  :P
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

if'n itwernt fer da modifie buton you cudnt reed a thang i rite. I huse it alla time 2.

Ohsoloco wheres the mispelling? its all these other guys that cant spell

;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

ditto on the ho'in out. We had walnut trees at the place we lived just after we were married and they are not worth having in the yard. Especially when they hang over the house, unless you like a sound like a ball bat on the eaves in the fall.

Tom

Welcome ohsoloco!  I don't know anything about Black Walnut except that it doesn't grow too good around here.  I was told that it was a tree that you planted for your grandchildren because it grew so slow. :D

Jeff

Maybe it grows slow down there but trees my dad planted around 1990 are bearing  bushels of nuts and are probably 30-35 foot tall and about 8 to 10 dbh

Bro. Noble

Tom,

I think the idea is that you plant the walnuts, prune them etc. and they will provide your grandchildren with a fortune from veneer logs.
They grow pretty fast in the right conditions but require deep well-drained soil to do well.  At least that seems to be the case here.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Thank You Sponsors!