iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free Logs in Southern GA

Started by Brad_S., January 08, 2006, 11:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

DanG

Metter is about 200 miles from me.  If I had a firewood processor, I'd be tempted to head up there anyway.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Is that one of them sights where he expects ya to clean up the mess. Looks like alot of work fishing the wood out of pushed over trees, roots and tops. He's got his work cut out for him.  I'm not used to seeing land cleared that way, that looks like twice the work of conventional logging and clearing. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Yep SD that's how they do it down here, push it all into a pile and burn it :( If ya can get one with an excavater instead of a bulldozer they'll usuall let ya cut the good stuff out first, then they can dig the stumps out. Bulldozer likes the trees attached, easier to roll the stump out of the ground..... >:(
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

SwampDonkey

That's terrible hard to even burn, you'de use a whole fuel tanker of oil just trying to get that mess to burn. Then it will only burn a whole in the middle if it burns at all.  I suppose that method is great for the operator of that equipment, sitten back in his air conditioned cab for $90/hr. I hope they invest in one of them WW II tanks with the flame thrower. People just need someone to teach them how to do stuff right once in awhile. Even when they clear highway right-of-way here they cut the wood first. I ain't seen a hardwood stump yet that'll slow up a D8.  ;) ::) :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Max sawdust

SD,
Ya you are a bunch of Frugle Kanooks :D :D
I here what you are saying, DOT down in the states does not want loggers on the right of way :o what would people think :D
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

SwampDonkey

Well I suppose people might think them trees was worth something and they probably would think that DOT is recovering some of the costs of building the road by selling the trees to the loggers by tender. ;D ;) You guys must have too many trees or lots of money the blow, or both. ;D :D :D Blow some of that doe my way. :D :D

maple flats

I looked at the link. Looks like the poorest cutting chain saw ever. Look at the 3rd picture down, if my saw cut like that I surely would not let antone see it until I sharpened it , recut and destroyed the evidence of the bad cut. He must not know how to sharpen anymore than he can identify cherry mixed in a pile of oak. He should hide his face or come over here and get lessons on identification and sharpening a saw.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

rebocardo

Yea, they usually cut it all down and push it all in a pile for burning. If you have the dried tops mixed in and a decent amount of fuel you can get a big ole' fire going.

Though some contractors like to cut it and put the logs right into a 40 foot dump and dump it at the landfill. No pulp, or nothing. Just land fill material gotten rid of by the ton because all they want is a quick turn around as to throw up a cheaply built house with $10 cash per hour for illegal alien labor.

Some tree service companies to the same thing. If I see a nice tree before they get to the dump I have them drop it at my house and they are happy to save the tipping fee.

Part_Timer

I've got a friend that does ditch clearing for the county.  I was given permission this year to salvage some trees out of it.  The county surveyor in charge of the project is a friend of mine and layed down t rules for me.

1.  THe dozer does not stop moving. PERIOD. They pushed it up in front of the fire and I cut what I could get out with the skidsteere before the dozer came back again.  THen the mess went into the fire pile.  I just had to be there and be fast.  Time is money for them.

2.  No one could know where I got them.  Keep you mouth shut load the trailer and get out.  If someone sees you getting something they aren't, even if they can't use it they will raise cain.

Lots of work.  Lost of fun.  Lots of salvage walnut.  LOTS of politics.  I'm not sure it was worth it. ::) ::) Yep it was.  Maybe I'll get invited back this summer

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

farmerdoug

I think in Michigan and here in Souheast Michigan for sure it is illegal to haul wood waste to the dump.  It is hauled to marshalling yards to be chipped.  Alot of it is fed to biomass generating plants.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

farmerDoug,

In these parts they have landfills and then they have landfills. Are you with me so far :D

Some landfills are for garbage some are for inert debris, still with me?

I can take chips to either free of charge. If I want to take logs or limbs I got to pay about $50 a ton at the inert landfill and $68 a ton at the garbage landfill.

Funny thing is.... they have a tub grinder at the landfill landfill, they use the chips for cover. At the inert landfil they bury it all ??? ::) Then cover it with grindings from the $68 landfill.....

Are you confused? I am :)
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

jon12345

From the looks of it, maybe he spends too much time on a motorcycle?  maybe he needs a new chopper   ???     :D :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

Quote from: rebocardo on January 08, 2006, 08:43:10 PM

throw up a cheaply built house with $10 cash per hour.

I have trouble figuring the locals are worth even that, hard to find good help. I'de pay a 'skilled immigrant'  $18 'above board', because he'd be worth it in most cases. I know some people are prejudice, but too bad. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!