iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need a new saw...Husky or Stihl

Started by boboak, January 08, 2006, 09:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boboak

I need to replace a couple of 032s that are finally,after 20 years, wearing out.  I've had good luck with the stihls but I've been hearing bad things about the newer ones.  So...new 361 or switch to a comparable husky like the 357?  No brand bashing intended but these are my only choices because I can get either one serviced locally by good dealers.  Weight isn't really an issue but dependability is.
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

fishhuntcutwood

What have you heard bad about the new Stihl's?  There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 361.  The very first ones to come out had some starting issues, but that's been long since corrected.   If you've got two good dealers you're set.  I don't know anything about the 357, so I won't say that I do.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

billneddow

i bought a new 361 last fall on the advice of my Stihl dealer and he was right -- it is a great little saw. I cut a lot of logs  over 14 inches in diameter.  In the last three weeks I have cut up roughly a transport truck load, with pieces cut about an inch longer than the diameter of the log, then ripped in half.  I make salad bowls, which is the reason for the odd cutting procedure.  The saw has an 18 inch blade on it and has lots of power for the biggest jobs, even when ripping with a standard chain.  It starts easily both hot and cold and has never missed a beat.   For bigger logs (2' to over 3'), I use an 066 with a 3' bar.  Another good saw. 

My buddy does similar work and swears by his Huskies.  I think it depends on which dealer gives you the best service.

fishhuntcutwood

MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

SawTroll

Quote from: boboak on January 08, 2006, 09:32:03 AM
 .....   So...new 361 or switch to a comparable husky like the 357?  ....

I have never cut with a 357xp, but here we go anyway;

The US versions of those models are so close in performance and weight that it is unlikely that you will notice a difference. Over here the Stihl has a slight advantage, that is even smaller on the US versions.
I suggest that you visit both dealers and take a close look at ergonomics and features.
The "Air injection" filtering system of the Husky is not a big factor in this case, as the filtering system of the 361 is much better than on older Stihl models.

Pay special attention to the choke/start/stop switches, the clutch/sprocket arrangements and the balance and "feel" of the saws.
The only feature I am not completely happy with on my MS361W is the combination choke/start/stop switch, but it is no big deal.
I think the outboard sprocket and ease of daily maintenance of the Stihl more than outweights it.
Information collector.

Woodhog

I have a 357XP...
It developed an air leak when a plastic clamp went defective in the input to the carburator...

Maybe they have replaced this clamp with a stronger one????

It was replaced and has worked good every since, I have reservations about problems around the

auto decompression feature, am waiting for something to happen to that system but its still OK after a year of quite heavy use..

I like the choke/start switch arrangement....

Maybe the dealers each have a 361 and a 357 demo they could lend you to try each one for performance evaluation by yourself...

Your descision on these two saws might boil down to the dealer and his attitude and service....

I am going to buy a 361 on my next purchase, I have a MS440 and like the feel of it....

Good Luck

Button

15 years ago I was looking for my first real saw, or at least something that didn't come from a yard sale. I had two freinds that are loggers and I asked for their advice. They both were running husky's so I went out and bought one. I have nothing bad to say about it and it is still going strong, as a twist both freinds are now running stihls.
66 timberjack 230
394xp
365 special x 2
woodmaster
the rabbits may outrun the skidder but the saw will catch up to the tree

Thank You Sponsors!