iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Isle Royale.

Started by old3dogg, January 06, 2006, 06:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3dogg

I was cleaning out my home office desk and came apon some info that I had on Isle Royale Nat. Park. I do believe I was planning at one time to go up and see it. Seeing that a lot of you folks are from Michigan I guess I want to know if the trip is worth it? Any insight?

Speaking of Michigan. Are any of you folks near Topaz? If so , have you ever heard of Tailfeathers Bar?

My brother- in- laws father owns that bar. If anyone talks to Mr. Kasten please tell him I need a new tshirt. Tell him to send it to Gail and Im sure I will get it.

stumpy

I made 2 trips to Isle Royale. One in '68. 4 of us took 2 canoes over on the ferry and canoed and portage the length of the island and canoed the shoreline back to the start. In '71, 2 of us went and hiked from one end of the island to the other. First trip we went from Copper Harbor Mi. Second trip we went from Minnesota.
Those trips were some of the best memories I have of my youth.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Shotgun

I've been to Isle Royale twice also, once in late 60's and once in early 80's.  Neat place if you're up to it.  It's not for the uninitiated. Would strongly recommend a trip there. Learn all you can about it first though.  Island is serviced by boats from Houghton, Copper Harbor, and Grand Marais, MN. There is seaplane service from Houghton, MI during the season. 

Topaz? It's not an incorporated city/village in MI.  I imagine that it's in the western UP.  Possibly a mine location. Can you provide more specifics? Or you might have to find another way to get your t-shirt. I would venture near Bergland, Ontonagon, Bruce Crossing, or somewhere near there.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Bro. Noble

We talked one time (but not for very long) about going there.

We did walk the length of 'Barker's Island' and spent the night there.  It's over by Superior,  Wisconsin.  I was gonna try to tell people it was named after me till I learned a little about it :-\ ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Max sawdust

Go if you like that kind of thing.  Friends go every year, they sail.  Kayaking the shore  is popular as Stumpy said.

Don't know where Topaz is, get the the Western UP often enough though.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!