iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Procurement Forestry

Started by Skully, October 09, 2002, 03:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skully

Hello, I am a new guy and could use some help.  I am writing my thesis on a specific aspect of wood procurement.  however I need some text on general wood procurement strategies and systems.  Do any of you know of any text or publications along these lines?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Ron Wenrich

I've done procurement work.  Most all procurement foresters usually follow local customs as far as cutting goes.  I have never seen anything in a book.  But, you can use your typical sales techniques.  

I usually drive through an area with a map of all the landowners.  Sometimes I will put them on topo maps.  I often walk areas that have possible timber, making notes of timber volume and quality.

I will then contact the landowner.  Face to face meetings will yield the best results.  Letters will yield the worst results.

If the landowner is interested, I will do a more detailed study of the area, and write a management plan.  I can then give recommendations and come up with a probable figure.  If that sounds OK, then I will mark the timber.

I also have used this method as a consultant.  If you wait for landowners to come to you, you'll starve.

If you are looking at log procurement, then you have to develop log grades and prices.  That comes from knowing the yield of your logs.  I have done some of that.  Mostly, the guy with the best price or best grade wins.  There are a few games you can play with the producers, but you don't want to play too hard.  A bad reputation spreads pretty fast.

I've also done some fiber procurement for co-gen operations.  That was basically finding a use for waste products.  Again, those with the best prices and the most stable market will come out on top.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tillaway

The Oregon State Department of Forestry publishes some how too's about offering a timber sale.  It explaines some of the different processes from a sellers stand point.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Skully

Thanks for the quick replies,
I really need like a textbook on procurement forestry, and the generalized approaches or systems.  Does anyone know of a text like this from a class in college.

I am also looking on a text or readings on wood product marketing

Thanks for your help :P

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Bro. Noble

Skully,

I'm not a forester and don't know anything about buying timber, but I,ve done graduate work and written technical papers.

Here are some things you might try.

Search the net ( you probably already have)

Your professor or others that teach graduate forestry classes probably have a room in the Univ. library with books that are reserved for their students to do special problems and research papers.  If you aren't aware of this, make some descreet inquiries.  You would need to be accompanied by someone who has permission to use these rooms or you could get in trouble.  The same holds true of graduate thesis that are on file.  They are probably on file in your library and you may have access to them.  While you couldn't use their material, you could check their footnotes for titles of publications.  And although it wouldn't be as much fun, you could always ask the professors.  There and at the other major Universities that have good forestry depts. (via e-mail)

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

If you would like to talk to a Professor of Forestry at Michigan State University I could probably set something up.  I can also arrange a connection with the procurement forester for Georgia Pacific Michigan Woodlands division, and possibly menasha corporation and packaging Corp (PCA) and possibly Werehauser.
The Georgia Pacific forester is a good friend so thats a gimme.

They are all members of my website www.timberbuyer.net
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tillaway

Try http://www.randomlengths.com for books on lumber sales and marketing.

I am not aware of any text specific on procurement forestry.  Procurement has more in common with sales and marketing than forestry at times.  Procurement is not an exact science and is usually OJT.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Thank You Sponsors!