iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Migraine headache

Started by Faron, January 06, 2006, 12:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

Good going, Jeff!  8)  What, if any, differences do you see quitting the soft drinks?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Jeff

Faron, at this point none other then an increase in pocket change. I was hoping it would help with the kidney problems I have had since the deerblind fall, but no success yet. I think many of the benefits I would be realizing are simply being disguised right now due to the other stuff.

Ya know its funny. I went to being addicted to Diet Coke a few short weeks ago, to this past Saturday where at Christmas at my Nieces, seeing that the only offerings were soda pop and coffee, and asking for a glass to get some water.

I've got it in my head firmly now that "I aint drinkin that stuff".  To bad the table of candies and cookies didnt do that to me. :-\ :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

John_Haylow

Faron, It's great to hear your wife has found out what was causing her migraines. They can be very nasty. Sometimes weather can also trigger them as well as certain chocolates for me.I have using Imitrex and it seems to work well if you take it in time.I hope she continues feeling better.

Jeff, I hear you about the smoking and the other bad things. My wife and I give up smoking a long time ago.We would both like to give up the soda as well. I will let her read this thread as her brand of soda contains aspartame. Maybe we could also try some natural juices.
Take care,
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Patty

Good old cold water is good for a person...as many glasses a day as you can drink. It is good for the body functions...all your organs need water, plus it is good for your skin, and it does help in weight loss.

Good for you Jeff that you have had success in limiting your vices. Each vice takes a toll on the body...some more than others. This spring you should feel better when you can get out and exercise again. Do you think the kidneys got bruised in the fall, or are you fearing something else?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Jeff

Patty, I'm hoping bruised and fearing something else, but I guess thats natural considering I'm over a month with not getting a lot better, but the last few days seem to be some better. I want winter to go away right now so I can get back up to our land.

Faron

Jeff, I never had a kidney stone, but I understand they are rough stuff.  A neighbor nearly died from one a few years ago.  He got a systemic infection from a stone, and got real sick real fast.  When we left the hospital one night, I didn't figure he would be around  the next morning, and his doctor as much as said that was very possible.  Bout 3 am he woke up with his fever gone, and improved from there. Antibiotics finally took control.
If you weren't having problems before the fall, likely you are still bruised and strained.  Maybe a little checkup is in order, though?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Jeff

I went to th doctor the week before Christmas. They had me send a urine sample in, then saw me in two days. I told the Doctor what was going on with me, I said I figurd it either had to be a bruised kidney, or a stone, or enlarged prostrate or possibly a kidney infection.

He looked in my ears then told me he thought I either had to have a bruised kidney, or a stone, or enlarged prostrate or possibly a kidney infection and that I should go home and see if it got better.  They asked for $50 on my way out.  Two days later I woke up thinking I had been hit in the big toe with a sledge hammer. I could not walk the weekend before Christmas. I got on the internet and searched for "Sudden severe big toe pain" I came up with all about gout. No doubt from my symptoms, thats what I had. One of the causes of gout is renal failure. The kidneys dont take the uric acid from your blood.  On Monday, Christmas eve, we tried to call his office as I still was hobbled a bit along with the other symptoms. I explained what was going on.  Guess what? They said I had gout. They called a prescription into the drug store for me for a steroid. Yesterday was the last day of the steroid treatment.  The toe had pretty much started getting better before I started the steroids the day after Christmas, probably due to the Cherry juice I was drinking. I found on line that that was something you could try.  The rest of my issues are still here.

Gary_C

Jeff

It does not sound like you got much for your $50 from that doctor. I'd suggest you find another doctor. I am fortunate living very near the Mayo Clinic as the standard bar for medical care, including the family practice is so high that a doctor like that would not survive long here. But even with out that you can get some very good advice on conditions, treatments, and preventitave options by going to http://www.mayoclinic.com/.

One of the things I just happened to see under the subject of gout is that it can be caused by eating organ meats.  ::)

Otherwise your doctor should have been able to rule out infections, prostate problems, or high uric acid levels with a simple blood test, instead of just agreeing with your guesses and then he could have forseen your gout attack.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Faron

Last month marks two years since I started this thread.  Two minor migraines in early and mid 2006, and none since. 8)

Part_Timer

THAT STUFF IS PURE POISON.

It's great news.  Best part is Chris has no migrains and Katie and I got 2 new friends out of the deal.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Warbird

Quote from: Part_Timer on January 06, 2006, 07:07:30 PMHe didn't think that the diet pop was the cause but said that I should stop drinking it anyway and to try it and see what happens.

How much were you drinking??  I've recently started drinking a bit of Diet Coke, as I've found that sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup) makes my blood sugar freak out and this causes bad migraines.

Faron, yes, I get migraines, too.  My 'aura' is similar to what Jeff described but a bit different.  Too much caffeine can trigger mine but caffeine is also a great way to treat the onset of migraine.  Here are my big triggers, in order of severity...  blood sugar spikes, alcohol (I think this ties into the blood sugar thing but it might be tanins in wine, too), stress, changing sleep cycle, eye strain, mental fatigue, certain foods (citrus juices like orange juice and lemonade are really bad, sometimes chocolate, etc), too much caffeine on empty stomach, and some others.

If I get a migraine, I plan on being 'out of it' for a couple of days.  The day after almost always feels like a hang over and I can't think very well.  I can sometimes force myself to work through a migraine unless I get the nausea really bad but if I work through it, it makes the 'hang over' the day after much, much worse.

I tried a few of the migraine medicines but what works the best for me is when I start seeing the spots, take two Excedrin for Migraines and once the spots go away and the pain hits, go curl up in a very dark room for a couple of hours.  :-\  It seems that doing cardio workouts a few times a week makes the migraine frequency go down but I'm not sure on this yet.

Warbird

Wow.  Just read most of the rest of this thread.  I'm stunned about the aspartame.  Wasn't drinking a lot of diet pop and hadn't noticed anything weird.  In fact, since drastically cutting back my sugar intake (no sugar in the two cups of coffee per day, very few sweets, etc) I've been feeling much better and haven't had many migraines.

Figured the diet soda was a good way to feed the sweet tooth yet stay away from spiking the blood sugar.  Looks like I better steer clear of that, too.

Thank you for the great information Faron, Part_Timer, and everyone.  I'm glad to hear of your successes.  Migraines suck.  Badly.  :(

ely

jeff, how did your gout ever turn out.
do you take meds for high blood press.?
i aint for sure but i think toporal or something like that, i take it and i cant spell it. anyway it uses up the potassium in your body at a high rate. without potassium your kidneys can't take the urea out of your system and you develope gout.
i had a friend that was having severe trouble with gout.he was taking the same BP meds as me. i told him to take pottasium supplements or eat a couple bannanas a day. he was without problems within a week. so far it has not bothered me but i have known two folks it has.

i have one friend that gets migraines when she eats choclate, and another guy gets migranes if he drinks 1 or 2 beers. if he drinks alot of beer he does not get migraines but he does take a whole day to get over the hangover. we thought it was the alcohol that bothered him but he can drink homemade wine and not have any ill effects.

logwalker

Jeff, I had a bout with what I self diagnosed as gout and went online to research. Kept coming up with cherries. Costco sells a dried tart cherry (with added sugar) and I started using it with great results. I tried the juice also but didn't like the taste. Any Change? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

sawdust

Commercial wines have sulphites in them as a preservative, for some people this is a trigger. Home made wines have less sulphites and purists put in none.
I get real stupid for about 36 hours after a migrane starts, my brain still works, even slower than normal!
I'm lucky I can feel it coming I get this odd anxious feeling then my vision goes, usually everything on my right side disappears. I get almost no headache though light bothers me for the first hour. If I recognize the anxious feeling in time i can usually hypnotize myself and in twenty minutes I know how the day is going to play out. I have no idea what causes mine.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Faron

Warbird, I have mentioned it before in this thread, but it bears repeating.  My wife didn't drink a whole lot of diet drinks when she was having her problems. Probably didn't amount to one a day during the week.  Maybe four or five over a weekend.  Often, then, around 2 am Monday morning she would develop a migraine in her sleep.  She might then suffer to varying degrees for days or weeks.  You can see what happened over a  period of time  in the early posts after Part_Timer gave us the blessed heads up on his situation. 

Update:  Chris has had a couple of unexplained migraines this spring.  We had to break out the Imtrex on them.  We suspect she might have unwittingly eaten something with aspartame in it.

Dave Shepard

I've been having a number of headaches and out right migraines this summer, as well as some other symptoms recently. I didn't think of the aspartame connection until today. I normally have a Diet Dr.Pepper maybe once per day. In early July, I tried to go low carb, which means lots of aspartame. I had all sorts of symptoms that I have found are commonly attributed to aspartame. I felt so rotten, I gave up on the low carb, but the problems only seemed to get worse. I've been drinking at least 4 DDP's per day, plus other asparteme laden items, for the last month, and the worst symptom has gotten even worse. Two weeks ago friday, I decided that I wasn't getting enough vitamins, because I eat to much junk. So I would get one of those high vitamin water drinks at lunch instead of the DDP. I started feeling much better most of the time. The last week, I've subconsciously started hitting the DDP's again, and the symptoms are back. Time for a serious weaning of aspartame. I hope that's the case, if not, I have no idea what's wrong with me. ::)

Found this site in a google search, she's selling a book, but it seemed to make sense to me: Sweet Poison

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Faron

I want to bring this back up, as I have just linked to it in reply to someone having a migraine problem on an Ag forum I read.  Chris has been almost completely migraine free for over four years now.  She had become really a desperately ill person by the time I started this thread.  We are forever grateful to Part_Timer and all who pointed us in the right direction.  We have come to highly value the friendship we have developed with Part_Timer and Katie and the kids.  It is really a case of a bed situation having a wonderful outcome.

Part_Timer

I thought that maybe this one deserved a necro post. 

It has been several years now since the migraine/aspartame episodes just about took me out.  Since stopping the artificial sweeteners I have only had a couple of migraines and everyone one of them can be traced back to a product that was of the sugar free variety.
on the + side, No migraines, normal blood pressure,

The company I work for is on a health kick and now only gets sugar free products and didn't tell anyone, BAD for me at the first lunch meeting.  Being the smart **** I am I asked if my 2 days off for aspartame allergy would be a lost time accident.  They didn't find it nearly as funny as I did.

My children now being adults and not under mom and dads food guide lines have ventured into the sugar free zone a time or two and have had varying results.  My daughter is very allergic and gets migraines and pukes for about an hour while my son only gets mildly upset stomach. 

I'm not going to argue as to aspartame being a poison or an allergy, all I know is that it is not a part of my daily consumption any longer.  For awhile Monsanto was pushing the FDA for a ruling that would allow companies to not have to post aspartame as an ingredient if it had under a certain amount.  I don't think that one got any traction, and I'm hoping the FDA will not allow them to put it in dairy products as is being requested.  It's easy for me to regulate not eating sugar free foods but to take an entire food group out of my diet would be a little more difficult. 

happy new Year everyone, may you find good health and happiness in 2014.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Faron

It has been eight years since I began this thread.  :o Chris has been migraine free all this time. 8). The last one I know about, a co worker brought her a lemonade, and it contained aspartame.
Eight years ago, Chris was in a bad way and getting worse.  I don't know what might have happened if we hadn't found the answer here.
Happy new year, Part Timer!

beenthere

Glad I don't get migraine headaches.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chain

I've had two serious migraines. The first I never knew what caused, the second, a year or two later, we figured scent of popourri[sp] and it triggered the migraine. That was twenty years ago, even today I get a funny taste and feeling when I smell that stuff.

But I do have those "zig-zag' bright lights across my eyes, lasts about twenty to thirty minutes but lucky to not have a migraine yet. One Doctor told me a muscle in my neck tightened causing pressure on a nerve that goes up over my left eye. When I do begin a headache of that sort I try to massage my neck muscles, seems to help. Also would take two advil.

Thank You Sponsors!