iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FDH does Costa Rica...

Started by crtreedude, January 05, 2006, 04:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I figured it was time to start a thread on the goings on with Harold down here. Since Harold's access to a connection is a littled limited, I suspect I will be able to say all sorts of things about him and get away with it...  ;D

Harold arrived in our neck of the jungle on Sunday and we drove out to the second finca - otherwise known as Monte Cristo. He is staying with a young couple who have been warned about grits and such not...

First few days was for Harold just to detox - and so far I haven't heard much. We walked around the finca which is about 70 acres, much of it vertical. I suspect it took him a couple of days to recover.

Tomorrow I am going down to check on him and see if he has had a run in with the local boa yet.

I heard today that his container is being processed in San Jose - so we might see it as early as next week. Then we can really get cracking!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

WH_Conley

Costa Rica will never be the same. :D :D :D
Bill

crtreedude

We snuck him in so the locals wouldn't know what they were in for...

WH_Conley

Smart move. They have or sympathy. :D
Bill

beenthere

Poor Harold.

Our sympathy's too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

swampy

Give him a few more days. He'll have them whipped into shape and eating GRITZ in no time at all. :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

Jeff

Remind me again, I'm trying to recall the history and evolution of this country, Costa Rica used to be an island in the bermuda triangle correct? Then during the cuban missle crisis it was towed up the panama canal to be used for scientific testing on monkeys and thier resistance to caffeine induced comma. Since the monkeys were uneffected they began trying to attract other test subjects with tales of natural resource riches.

I could be off a little on this as I'm not the sharpest thorn in the jungle any more, and sorry about the odor.

Just my brute cologne
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

Quote from: Jeff B on January 05, 2006, 10:28:45 PM
Remind me again, I'm trying to recall the history and evolution of this country, Costa Rica iused to be an island in the bermuda triangle correct? Then during the cuban missle crisis it was towed up the panama canal to be used for scientific testing on monkeys and thier resistance to caffeine induced comma. Since the monkeys were uneffected they began trying to attract other test subjects with tales of natural resource riches.

I could be off a little on this as I'm not the sharpest thorn in the jungle any more, and sorry about the odor.

Just my brute cologne
So that 'splains Fred and Harold. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

UNCLEBUCK

Harold is going to like his new boots when he catches that boa ! 8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

crtreedude

I think you have it right Jeff - and there is an infinite resistance in me to coffee as far as I can tell.

By the way, almost all the Costa Ricans drink tea - it really makes you wonder!

jon12345

Have you had to drag him out of any water bodies yet lookin for 'sunken treasure'?   ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Murf

Quote from: crtreedude on January 05, 2006, 04:58:10 PM
...  the second finca - otherwise known as Monte Cristo.  ...

Does it come with any of dem name-sake ceeegars ?  I might have ta' make anudder trip south.  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

crtreedude

Nope, no cigars.

I saw Harold today - he is doing fine. He and the family I got him staying with (watching out for him if the truth be told...) are getting along real well.

He hasn't poisoned them with grits yet - they are still in his container.

Of course I have pictures - I'll post them tomorrow.

Fred

farmerdoug

I suspect that Harold will not be converting to many of the locals to grits eaters as he will have to hide his stash then.  If the customs guys take a liking to grits then he will never get anymore. :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

crtreedude

A few pictures - can't have a thread without pictures!

This is Harold at the river on Monte Cristo - notice the expression? I had just told him we have to walk back UP the hill, either that or a horse.

Yesterday we went to the second finca, the one Harold saw back in the spring - he was of course hoping that the trees were big enough to cut - but they are only 2.5 years old! A few more years and they won't be safe.

That isn't to say that we don't have a few big ones - for example, this is in a wild area. I think Harold would like to get to this one! We did find a couple of big ones for him to saw up - and they are pretty rare wood too.

One is we believe Ron-Ron (think Cocobolo) and is about 3 feet in diameter, perhaps 120+ feet tall. The other one is this:

This is a Guayaba de MontaƱa - wild fruit tree. That little white tree in the distance is the end. When a big tree falls - it creates a "Corridor of Light" that regenerates the forest. Pretty cool really. We will remove this one and replant some Mahogany, Christobal and other shade loving trees.

Harold is also getting used to our bridges:

He was doing real well - until I told him that the guys wanted to test the bridge and he was the best candidate...

Hope you liked the pictures.

jon12345

Pretty cool pics!  That looks like a pretty amzing place to live, and sounds like quiet an adventure to live there   :)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

SO Harold, when ya coming back home?  ;D :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmerdoug

SD,

You may have to take him in Canada as I think the US has blocked him from coming back now that we have shipped him out. ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

crtreedude

Yeah, you could say it is an adventure.  ::)

Not everyone adapts very well done here - but I think FDH is going to be just fine.

Not sure if Costa Rica will survive him though...  :o

jerry-m

Great pictures,   Thanks a bunch 8)

Harold is a very interesting person and I wish you both much luck and good health...

Jerry
Jerry

crtreedude

Thanks - I think we are going to do just fine. Lots of really interesting wood here if you know how to get to it. We are working with salvaging logs that most people just leave - having a Costa Rican business partner sure helps! On the log is my partner, Hector.

By the way, remember the old question, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around, does it make a sound?" The answer is yes - Hector was about a kilometer away when it crashed down - he said it was really loud!

Furby

That don't prove nothing!
Hector heard it, there fore he was "around" to hear it.
Nothing proven! ;)

crtreedude

Furby, the tree didn't make a sound - you couldn't hear it from all the vines ripping...

Gotcha!  :D

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!