iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hit metal

Started by thedeeredude, January 04, 2006, 10:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

I hit metal in an old oak beam.  It was just a small nail and it killed the band blade.  It wasn't even my saw ;D  But it was very depressing.  Is there a support group out there for hitting metal in logs?  The good part is I should get about 12-18 bf of old growth white oak boards 8) 8) 8)

Frank_Pender

Welcome to the club.   There is no addition tuition for joining. ;D
Frank Pender

Part_Timer

Aaron

There is a support group called the Forestry Forum.  It is kind of hard to find and the people are sorta crazy.  You might not like it though all they talk about is GRitZ. :D :D :D

Tom

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Cedarman

Regular members have hit metal in logs, senior members have hit their log dogs. Senior member.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Dan_Shade

what do you have to do to move past senior member?  i've hit my backstops many times.  mainly with new bands at that...

this was my first metal:

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Minnesota_boy

Senile members have hit nails, the log stops, the clamp, the log turner, the jack stands, etc.  I'm a Senile member.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

GF

I cut nine nails in a Walnut log the other day, just kept on cutting.  Guy asked if I was going to change the blade said no it still seems to be cutting this log just fine.  It was the last log in his pile.  I did change the blade prior to cutting another customers logs. 

spencerhenry

A nail? in the last 12 hours of cutting, i went through 19 blades. had to have woodmizer overnight another box to me. i am running 3x10 reclaimed heart pine through the resaw attatchment. works great until the tell tale noise, then the cut goes to hell. i have 2 guys working for me de-nailing the beams, and still hit at least 15 nails today. the customer probably wont like his bill, but he was supposed to have already de-nailed all the material. in all about 10mbf of 3x into 1x.

leweee

two days of denailing barn beams(circa 1860) ::)
customer says they look clean(beams covered in lime whitewash)milled like cement :o
metal detector sounds like a car alarm when you go near them.
12hrs later (6 denailing & 6 milling) 4 blades with teeth missing.
600bft. of vintage pine 4/4, 1 happy customer( can't say the same for the sawyer) >:(

Got to go grind & set them poor blades ::) There has to be an easier way to make a living :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

little-guy

well so far so good .. have only grazed my log post so far ... dulled the blade but no damage ..was too intent on watching the great cut and forgot about the post ..OOPS..
Cec..
you gotta be happy playing with your toys ..mine are ..norwood lumberlite 24 ,743 bobcat and 1950 John Deere 4010 crawler

thedeeredude

Why don't you guys learn to just let that old barnwood alone :D

woodmills1

you really haven't lived till you cut a nail in half long ways. :D :D >:( :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

dail_h

Shoot,them nails in reclaimed beams is where all the fun is. If them beams is really old,sometimes the nails is worth mor'n the busted up blades. We usta sell all the forged nails we could dig out.
   You could always do like I did,and git yaself a metal detector from Deadheader, then all you have to worry 'bout is hittin the mill. Wantta know how I know?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

customsawyer

I don't like nails at all but the worst I ever hit was a cotton picker spendel someone put in a tree for a step to get to there deer stand it took the teeth right off the blade and add two new cuss words to my vocabulary.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ironwood

The worst is CERAMIC fence insulators. I "invested" four blades to get thru that "nail" in this nice big Walnut. We finally came from the other end cutting and low and behold, it was CERAMIC. @#$$%^^&&***&^%$#@!@#$%^.

::)Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Cedarman

I would have thought the well rounded teeth would have been a dead give away.  If you are going fast enough, you can bust through them, but your blade will climb or dive about 3 inches before screeching the belts.  I ain't telling how many I've hit, but after 3 of them on one batch of cedar, we metal detected about 8 more. Found out later that there was probably a hog pen with electric fence around it. We discounted a few trees on that fellers load.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Sawyerfortyish

How about a 40lb chunk of cement that someone filled into a hollow spot in a 30"dia oak with a circle mill. Last cut splitting an 8x16 in half full bore. Cut about 10" in the cement before slamming it in reverse and blowing up the reverse gear. Threw that blade away and circle blades arn't throw aways. Cost for sawing that log about 2500.00 + my time   ouch.

isassi

:)I love these forums...makes me feel like I ain't the only one...running a circle mill through the tramp metal once would be bad enough, but I kept right on going and heard that distictive sound through the next 3 boards before deciding what was left would be a great fireplace mantel. So happens I sold it for about twice what 52 Arsaw inserts cost for that stunt. When i was a kid, my Grampa sawed through a cotton scale beam that must have been hung on the side of a walnut tree decades before. Thinking about it, I believe that was when I got my first lesson on cussing without stopping for a breath! :D

Woodwalker

Quite a few years ago, I worked for a company clearing ROW for an electric utility. We were removing a large oak in a yard whose top had broken out about twelve feet or more off the ground years past. The trunk was hollow and before we finished cutting the wedge, we hit something and ruined a sawchain. After chopping the wedge out, found the hollow full of beer bottles, cans, car jacks, etc. The homeowners over the years had disposed of some of their trash by pitching it up into the hollow.
A cousin of mine told of trying (unsuccessfully) to buy a tree off a landowner somewhere in Kansas that an old gun barrel embedded in a chest high crotch.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

thedeeredude

I have to get a picture of our local tree with a piece of tramp metal in it.  I think I'll do that today.

VA-Sawyer

Cktate has a picture of a tree with a tranny growing out of it. ck, where is that photo?

Sawyerfortyish

I had two in my log yard a while back. One with a barbucue grill and another with a bycycle hanging out of em

artenvielfalt

well well well, all the senoir and prior senoir members with metall experience. i had a customer who told me he cut all the old oak trees that where used as fence posts more than 1,5 m above the ground and i should saw the rest.  told him i charge him 20 € for every tooth that brakes hitting metal, thought there might be e few left maybe, like old nails from birdscages or else, but when i left my employee to do the work with 4 blades on my 10" peterson WPF was a little worried when he called me up around three that afternoon and told me he was through with three blades already and had 6 teeth left on the last,.....ok, we took the blades to the sawdoctor for a weekend deal and went on sawing but the customer payed half half for cutting and repairs.
that was my first experience and then the worst was with only on blade beeing told the oak was from the forest and only lay there two years so no side tree, no fence posts, ..... and then cutting only 14 x 14 cm beams seemed to be an easy job 4 loggs 4m and 1,2m diameter to 65 cm diameter good sizes, fast cutting.  thought so.....
then when i got to the center of the big bottom part, i just heard my saw crying and .... teeth flying,...
can you imagine they must have nailed the old barbed wire around the tree, wen it was about 5-10 years old and circled it around it.  then later added more wire or new,..... when i finished that 14 x 14 beam i could see that i went through 26 lines of wire and about 8 nails just in 25 cm of the cut. 
as i said all teeth flying, had 3 teeth left and finished the job with them. 
incredible that the last teeth took me through another 6 cbm of oak.  i love my peterson saw for that, because they payed good and it would have been a long way to go to pick up new blades.
ulf german miller

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

isassi

I finally got around to planing the stack of cedar from the log with the fence staples....my blind buddy took his metal detector out to the shop and several boards alarmed...no wonder what I thought were only 3 staples destroyed those teeth....i had been in metal for several passes and didn't hear it over the power unit!!!  :D

Thank You Sponsors!