iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker vs. TimberKing vs. Norwood. - What do you like best about your mill?

Started by Bibbyman, January 04, 2006, 08:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

isassi

8) Why I bought a circle mill: I grew up with one, I love the circle patern for rough sawn beams and boards. I already know the techniques to work the mill. And I love the speed and sawing 10,000 bdft before sharpening the inserts. Why I would buy a bandmill now: I hate the waste of the 9/32 kerf. My time is not that important since I saw mainly for my new home. It would be nice to take the mill to the trees (and keep my yard cleaner and my wife in a kinder mood).  Now what I will do someday: Keep the Meadows Mill tuned up. Square the big ones for the future bandmill. I like the features of TK and WM but do not like the price, soooooo.............. ???

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on January 12, 2006, 07:23:26 AM
      I am taking logs down for WM to saw for me at the show.   Figure that way I can take a little time off and look around and still get some sawing done.   ;D  You know me, always after free labor.

Good move, Arkey!  I've taken logs to Moultrie 2 years in a row for the Peterson crew to slice up.  It's worked out great for me! 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pigman

joasis, Welcome to the forum and hope you are having a happy birthday. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

isassi

Thanks Jeff and Pigman. If you wonder where "joasis" is derived, my name is James, Jay for short or J for even shorter, and when I was teaching aviation powerplant at a tech school, my students called my class "club powerplant", an oasis in a dry environment of the FAA and Oklahoma education. I'm a general contractor and build homes, metal buildings, concrete, and steel roofs for houses and my new interest is insulated concrete home construction. My mill will get a lot of workout on red cedar for the purpose of panelling  my home in leiu of drywall. Since my grandfather couldn't teach me anything worthwhile when I was younger 'cause I knew it all back then, and I didn't pay attention longer then I had too, I rely on forums to fill in the many gaps about my sawmill knowledge. Like anyone, who wouldn't turn back the clock...sure miss my old grampa. 

ARKANSAWYER

Yea if I am lucky I can sell the wood there at the show and just haul slabs and cash home.  ;D
ARKANSAWYER

Tom_in_Mo.

Arky, That is the way to do it, for it helps you and the company putting on the demonstrations. Last year at Springfield, Mo. show in Oct. customer brought us logs and took the lumber to his selling place and we both came out on top. He also took the slabs.
Most shows were are at we have established supplies with our customers. It didn't take long for them to pick up on that idea.

Minnesota_boy

I hope Arkansawer has to go find a bigger truck to haul his cash home.  8) 8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bibbyman

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on January 13, 2006, 07:51:23 AM
 Yea if I am lucky I can sell the wood there at the show and just haul slabs and cash home.  ;D

We've sold some of the lumber we've sawn at demos but we've always been able to give away the slabs.

My advice is..  take small logs and make thick slabs if you don't want to bring a lot of lumber back home.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

twostroke_blood

Thank You Sponsors!