iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Great idea for bar oil

Started by low_48, January 03, 2006, 11:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

I was doing a google search for auto undercoating and read an idea on low cost rustproofing. This guy in Vermont sprays Husky bar oil in the fenders and under the car twice a year. He talks about the Husky oil having phosphoric acid in it. That's the same stuff that when put on rust will react to the rust and turn it black. The oil also have paraffin in it that will let it stick to the metal for some time. Seems like a great idea!! Also sounds a little like the stuff that Zeibart uses.  ;)

Coon

I have heard of this in the past but......  I don't think that I'd do it for the fact of the dripping of the oil on the garage floors.  Have you ever tried to work on anything that has been covered in oil and dirt for some length of time?  Not fun is it?  It may work as you said but I would just prefer to coat under the wheel wells with duraguard or some kind of paint.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Button

Just a few years ago I took a picture of an ad on a bulletin board. It was advertising used motor oil sprayed under your car for 20 bucks.  It was at a local garage in vermont.  I was told after the spray job they would send you driving up and down a dirt road to coat the oil with dirt to cut down on the drippings. Enjoy the day
Peter
66 timberjack 230
394xp
365 special x 2
woodmaster
the rabbits may outrun the skidder but the saw will catch up to the tree

rebocardo

I worked at a Ford dealer and the guy had a Ford F-1 (truck older then me). Like all his vehicles he sprayed the underside with used motor oil twice a year and then drove it over a dusty road. Never a rust problem.

Shawn

Dust/Dirt holds moisture and moisture causes rust. But the oil is there to prevent the two from interacting? What a great physics experiment!!!
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

Don_N6CRV

Hello, I have been doing it for years. Every Fall I take a oil can and shoot chain oil in the doors and under the car and in all the rust holes on my Jeep. It does help in stopping the rust and by the time Spring comes around here in Mi the oil is washed off anyway. I used to use 90w but that stuff stinks! The bar oil sticks better and does not smell. A few guys will coat the bottom of their car the drive around in a field to spread it around and get off any extra. Try it you'll like it.
Don.

Glenn

If you really want to undercoat with something that works perfectly and doesn't drip use undercoating grease.  Heat it up until it turns to oil, pour it into a shutz gun and away you go.  When the oil cools it turns back to grease and will not drip.  It goes into all the tight spots and will wick and spread in the heat.  It doesn't wash off in the rain and if you drive over tall grass it spreads itself back. If you have a good compressor you can reach to the center of a tailgate from the end. My dad has been doing this for probably 30 + years and I don't ever remember any rust on any of his vehicles.  Try it!

Flyboy

:D When we're flyin down the back roads of Vermont, what did you think we were doing? Lookin for white tails? Drinkin Beer? Runnin from Barney Fife?
We're "Dustin Up" the Pickup ;D I've used B&C for years, used to cut it with a little gas to make it spray better, then had a jug sittin next to the wood stove in the garage and was amazed at how easy it poured into my saw :o  Took a pan 1/2 full of B&C heated it up on the stove, sprayed real nice, seem to penetrate better too.
I keep MY garage for more important rigs like my skidder, tractor, etc. and I usually let her drip off in my buddies driveway, he appreciates it tho, keeps his dust down 8)
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

Chris J

This cityslicker learns something new everyday.  Would spraying bar oil on my disk brakes cut down on the dust?

Chris  :o ;D :D J.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

leweee

Yup....when you apply the brakes the vehicle crashs....no more dust :D :D :D

BTW those disc brakes last forever with bar oil on em smiley_dunce smiley_dizzy
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Flyboy

:D  Chris, I don't know bout it cuttin down on brake dust, Bet it would cut down on the sqeal tho. :D :D
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

Ironwood

I have used Red Wolfshead Grease (extremely waterproof) hand smearing/brushing, then use NEW oil as the used has loads of bad heavy metals in it. Cut it with Kero (evaps abit after) I spray mine through an old Pepsi pressurized canister. Drips for a few weeks (don't visit my mother-in-law those weeks). I have used it with great success. I do try to plan the application well before any mechanical work needs done. We have mostly gravel and "Country pavement"/ ground asphalt chips around our place so no biggie on the drips.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Pullinchips

In case y'all werent joking or considering it. Please like leweee mentioned don't spay any type of oil/lube on disk brakes, will hurt your stopping power.

-Nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

Chris J

Nate, I was just having a little fun.  And I do share your concern that someone might take using bar oil on car brakes seriously.

Aw ra best!  Chris J.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Tim L

The guy that does my rigs uses new motor oil, hydraulic oil and bar and chain mixed .He then microwaves it and sprays on hot. When it sets the bar and chain makes it gooey and stay put
Do the best you can and don't look back

Rocky_J

what type of sprayer would a non-owner of spraying equipment use for such a project?
???

Al_Smith

Quote from: Rocky_J on February 11, 2006, 10:52:10 PM
what type of sprayer would a non-owner of spraying equipment use for such a project?
???
Well,Brian,what ya need is a cheap spray gun,and a compressor,or a metal spray tank,like you would apply weed killer with.You can saturate the metal,but it makes a mell of a hess until it quits dripping but it works.Then again,if memory serves me correctly,what would rust in Orlando? :D

rebocardo

> what type of sprayer would a non-owner of spraying equipment use for such a project

Rust proofing gun if you have a small compressor because you can do it with the long angled wand without getting underneath the vehicle. Otherwise you can use just about any paint or deck sprayer if you are willing to get on your back with a creeper and face shield, though doing it on a lift is way better.

Rocky_J

I ask because last year I bought a 16 year old bucket truck from Illinois and it has a bit of rust underneath. I'm mostly concerned with the rear leaf springs and spring mounts.

Photos must reside on the Forestry Forum Gallery.
Thanks
Admin

Al_Smith

Illinois,hmm that explains it.Nothing seems to rust in Fla. but about every thing rusts up here in the frozen tundra,so to speak.

In my little sheltered life,I have found that trucks,used in arbor service,are attacted by the acidity of the wood chips.It seems to be about as effective as sulpheric acid,although slower acting,so to speak.

I have welded many a reinforcement patch on the frames,spring shackles and beds of said older trucks.

Just a suggestion ,power wash the dickens out of the under sides of that truck,with the big squirrel on it.You have to stop the chemical reaction.Then undercoat it with some thing .Oil is cheap but you will have to periodicaly give it another coat from time to time.

Ironwood

I use a Coke or Pepsi canister from syrup dispenser as they are pressure rated and I use their proprietry adapter and then put my hose on after that to a wand like discribed. It works great, I then repressurize it as needed.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Rocky_J

Admin,
I did not post photos in the forum, I merely posted a link. I did not wish to go through the 10 minutes of resizing, uploading, bookmarking, linking, resizing again, etc. etc. etc.
I will refrain from any such nonsense in the future.
:-\  :(

rebocardo

> I have found that trucks,used in arbor service,are attacted by the acidity of the wood chips

Yes, I have noticed that with my own trucks, seems like oak is the worse. I tried to wash down my mill everyday and I designed my flatbed so I could easily flush and wash the underside. Since the truck spewed oil I did not have to worry much about undercoating it :-D

snowman

Hard hats don't rust but I smear bar oil all over mine in spring. It really helps when those black flies swarm around your face. By the end of the day hard hats covered with the little buggers. ;D

leweee

snowman.....all that red on your hardhat would keep people away that didn't know it was bar oil :o ::).....must look like a traffic accident. :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!