iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slang tree term

Started by Frank_Pender, October 07, 2002, 09:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

Any of you folks wise to what "Monkey Fir" is or hve any of you ever sawed some boards from such a species? :P
Frank Pender

Tillaway

That's a new one on me, what the heck is it?
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Frank_Pender

Thought for sure you or Paul would come up with the answer first, Tillaway.  It is early in the game.  Let us wait a bit.  ;D
Frank Pender

Paul_H

My first thought was a Balsam,or Hemlock :-/
My daughter Randi thinks it's the Monkey Puzzle Tree.

Are we in the ballpark Frank?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

Tell your doughter she is one sharp gal, Paul.  I sawed one a few years ago.  I still have all of the lumber.  I even kept a big barrel of the knots and give some away for woodturning.  If I had not know what I was sawing I would have thought it was Pondarosa Pine.  the grain pattern as well as color is very similar, along with the color of the knots.  One of my past students who does tree service work left a not on my truck at school asking if I wanted a tree.  I went to the site after school and wa la, a Monkey Puzzle was laying on the ground.  I got a 12' and a 14' equal to about 350' Scribner Log Scale.  I cut it all into 5/4 x 8, 10, and 12.  
Frank Pender

Paul_H

I'll tell her Frank.She remembered seeing the tree in somebody's yard when we lived in Squamish.That was a long time ago for a kid.(8 years ago)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!