iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trying out a new hobby saw

Started by Modat22, January 02, 2006, 07:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I picked up a low end delta 14 inch bandsaw last week for the shop and I really like it even though it has a vibration I can't track down yet.

Here is my first project, Its a box made from a laminated chunk of walnut 5.5" x 10" x 6" thick. This project can be found in "Band Saw Boxes". Approx time to complete project.

20 min to cut, plane, glue and clamp.
24 hours drying time
40 min to saw out the pattern
3 hours sanding
60 min finishing with tung oil.

tell me what you think.

After hand sanding this I decided that I could really use a belt sander  ::)
remember man that thy are dust.

Striker

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

It looks like something any executive would be proud to have on his desk.  :)

Modat22

Its for Miss Moose. I was planning on making a few of these to sell. I've got enough walnut that I salvaged with a chainsaw 2 years ago for perhaps 4 of these.

Another excuse for me to get my mill built.

CHARLIE

I've made a few bandsaw boxes but nothing as nice as that one.  Great job!  Might I suggest you take a look at a random orbital drum sander.  Delta and Ryobi make a bench model that sells for somewhere around $140 I think.  I've had a Ryobi Random Orbital Drum sander for about 5 or 6 years now and love it.  It doesn't leave scratches in the wood like the drum sanders you use on a drill press and with the drum shape it's easy to sand around all those curves.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Modat22

Thanks for the tip Charlie, I'll have to do something I've got carpal tunnel and can't feel my fingers today from the hand sanding. I love making things with wood but I usually pay the price the next day.

Thanks for the replies!

Larry

Quote from: Modat22 on January 02, 2006, 07:27:21 PM
tell me what you think.

I think it looks great...and they really make nice gifts.  I supply wood to a retired guy that makes them all year long and sells em at some of the local craft fairs.  It amazes me with all the variations possible on one design.

I have the Delta spindle sander...don't know how it compares with the other brands but has been running good for about 2 years now.

I restore/tune old bandsaws.  Finished a 14" Delta...except for the paint last week.  If you need any help with the vibration send me an IM and I'll tell ya what to check.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pigman

Quote from: CHARLIE on January 03, 2006, 01:50:40 AM
Might I suggest you take a look at a random orbital drum sander.
Charlie, I am confused as usual. What is a "randon orbital drum sander"? I don't think I have one and if there is such a thing I want one. :) I never heard of a tool I didn't want, even if I didn't know what it was for. :P
Modat, that is a fine looking box. Is it for storage or just something nice to look at. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Modat22

Quote from: pigman on January 03, 2006, 10:21:41 AM
Charlie, I am confused as usual. What is a "randon orbital drum sander"? I don't think I have one and if there is such a thing I want one. :) I never heard of a tool I didn't want, even if I didn't know what it was for. :P
Modat, that is a fine looking box. Is it for storage or just something nice to look at. ;D

Its a ring box for Miss Moose. I like boxes for some reason and was looking for standard square, cube boxes made from solid wood when I found this bandsaw boxes book. Its not what I was looking for but the projects are fun and fairly simple.

jrokusek

Quote from: pigman on January 03, 2006, 10:21:41 AM

I think 'yer looking for an "Oscillating Spindle Sander."  I bought the $100 Wilton model at Menards and have been pleased.  Get a spindle sander for the inside curves and a belt sander and/or sanding disk for the outside curves and you'll be able to do some real damage!

Jim

Modat22

A spindle sander sounds like the ticket or perhaps a drum outfit for a drill press.

I've got a disk sander attachment for my radial arm saw but it burns the wood baddly if your not o so careful (needs a speed reducer).

iain

Try to sort out a pnumatic sander if you intend to make a few boxes,

go for a long tube, so you have plenty of sanding area, with out trying to fit onto some thing to small, and taking your knuckle skin down to bone very quickly ::)

if your disc is burning its spinning to fast (if you got good abrasive on it)

love your boxes, make lots they sell well

iain

Engineer

The Delta B.O.S.S. (Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander) or the Ridgid benchtop sander are both excellent machines for the money, you should be able to get either one at Home Depot.

Don't use sanding drums in a drill press.  Most drill presses are NOT designed for a sideways loading (pressure perpendicular to the axis of rotation).  The bearings aren't meant for that.  Also, most DP chucks use a Morse taper that is slip-fit, and the sideways pressure MAY loosen the chuck and send it flying across your shop (or at you!).  Same goes for router bits. 

Bandsaw vibration can be any number of things, most common causes are out-of-balance wheels, motor mount loose, belt loose, bump in one or both of the tires on the wheels, motor pulley not aligned properly with drive pulley, or improper tracking of the blade.   Check everything, try running it without a blade and see if it vibrates.

pigman

If Charlie's   "randon orbital drum sander" is a   "Oscillating Spindle Sander", I have one of them things, a fairly large floor model. 8)   I was hoping that there was a new tool I could buy. :'(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

CHARLIE

Yeah, y'all are right.....I reckon it was late and my brain was half asleep. ;D I meant a Random Orbital Spindle Sander.  Mine is a Ryobi bench model and I've had it for several years. I use it for both inside and outside curves.  It sure has saved me a lot of effort when sanding.  I have some drum attachments for my drill press but never use them since I got the spindle sander.  The drum sanders leave grooves that have to be sanded out.  Besides, the spindle on the spindle sander is tall and sands some pretty thick stuff.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gecko

Very nice! I love boxes as well and have made a few in my long (14+ month  :D) hobby as a woodworker. I just got myself a BS and am looking forward to some BS boxes as well. Thanks for the pictures.
As Always,
   Gecko

Gilman

Nice box Modat.

Charlie, has the drive belt broke on you Ryobi oscilating spindle sander yet, or have they fixed that problem?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

CHARLIE

Gilman, no I've never had the belt break and I've had it for at least 5 years or more. But now that you mentioned it......the belt will probably break tomorrow. :D
Charlie

Quartlow

Quote from: Modat22 on January 02, 2006, 07:27:21 PM
I picked up a low end delta 14 inch band saw last week for the shop and I really like it even though it has a vibration I can't track down yet.

You may as well not bother. Delta has had a problem with that it seems. Several of the woodworking forums guys have bought them and taken them back due to the troubles.

and that box is absolutely Beautiful!!!!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

beenthere

Modat22
You probably know about the dampening effect of the segmented, adjusta link v-belts as well as putting on machined pulley's rather than the cast ones that normally come with these tools. On both my table saw and drill press, the linked belts made a huge difference, and some additional difference when changing the pulleys.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Skytramp

I have a Fox drill press that has the oselateing feature on it and it came with a set of three different sizes of sanding drums. You can find it in Grizzly.
Great job on that box, excelent workmanship and a beautiful finish.  I also have carpel tunnel and know where you are coming from.  I have been going to a massage theripist that has helped me considerably.  Also drink lots of water, 60 oz a day, It really does help.  I take injectable B12 shots also, it seems to help the arthritis.
SkyTramp;
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

Modat22

Quote from: beenthere on January 05, 2006, 09:00:48 PM
Modat22
You probably know about the dampening effect of the segmented, adjusta link v-belts as well as putting on machined pulley's rather than the cast ones that normally come with these tools. On both my table saw and drill press, the linked belts made a huge difference, and some additional difference when changing the pulleys.

Honestly I didn't know that, I heard that link belts ran smoother but didn't know why. So your saying that replacing my pulleys might also help?

It seems that some of my vibration comes from (1) 3/4" resaw band and most of the vibration is coming from the motor, pulley, drive pulley.

Modat22

I wonder if it would be alright to ask if there is anyone close to irvington ky that might sell me a small amount of dry walnut with some sapwood on the boards or perhaps some other wood that would look good as a box?

I need boards at least 6"w 5/4 thick and at least 4' long

I really only need about 30 or so bf. If longer than 4' I might have to chainsaw them when I come to pick them up since my truck is on the fritz. ;D

beenthere

Quote from: Modat22 on January 06, 2006, 07:55:31 AM
................ So your saying that replacing my pulleys might also help?

I think it would be worth taking that chance. Link belt isn't cheap, like $10 a foot, but my Jet drill press had a completely different performance with just the belt change.

As well, my carpenter table saw. On the table saw, I also changed out the pulley's to machined pulleys.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!