iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bois d'arc

Started by Jacar, October 07, 2002, 10:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacar

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum.  I have been lurking for a couple of months.  Mainly been hanging out at the Woodweb.  I have learned a lot form both sites.  

We have a manual Timberking( new in Jan '02)and we have been very happy w/ it.  I mainly mill for myself, but sell when I have extra.  I built a solar kiln and have run one load of red oak and it worked great.  I have some mesquite in it now.  

My question for you scholars of sawmilling is:  I have an opportunity to harvest some bois d'arc from NE Texas.  Alot  more than I can use.  
#1 Any tips on sawing it?
#2 Is there a market for the lumber I saw?

Thanks Jack  :)
Jack Watkins

Bibbyman

Welcome Jack,  glad you stopped lurking and decided to join in.  

Lots of niche markets for Hedge, Osage Orange, or about a hundred other things it's called.  We've not marketed very much so I'll leave it to others to guide you on that one.

P.S. I really like that area around NE Texas.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Welcome to the ForestryForum, Jacar.  You're going to like this. :)

smwwoody

Hi

there is always a few adds for Osage Orange fence posts on www.woodplanet.com
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

woodbeard

Osage is gorgeous wood, but is hard as nails. sometimes a good portion of a trunk has been dead and seasoning for years. can be very tough on blades.

Frank_Pender

It makes for a wonderful bow.  One of my students made one for me when he was 13.  It is a Native American long bow.  One the back of the bow, he laminated Western Wild Cherry bark.  It shoot like a dream.  the pound pull is about 48.
Frank Pender

Paul_H

Frank,
Did the native Indians out here use Yew wood for bows,or was it used for arrows?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

JoeyLowe

Hey Jacar:

Welcome to the Forum.  What part of NE Texas are you located in?  Drop me a note about the osage orange.  I know of at least one person in Texarkana who is looking  for some 6 x 6 beams.  Again, welcome and as Tom said so eloquently, "You are really going to like this!"

Joey
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Jacar

Joey,

Actually, I live in Tomball, which is NW of Houston.  A friend owns the place east of Dallas.  He is clearing some land to build a house.

Jack
Jack Watkins

ARKANSAWYER

Another Texan ;D
  Well Howdy and welcome!
  Cut a board and turn the cant, cut a board and turn the cant.  It is hard to saw and you will need lots of water to keep the blade cool.  It is very pretty when first opened up.  If you get some large logs some nice thick wide turning stock goes good.  Post a ad and watch them come out of the wood work wanting it.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Frank_Pender

I have heard that the natives used the Yew for both bows and the arrows, Paul.  I will see about it for sure.  I am drying some Oregon Oak at this time for the young man that made it bow.  I will most likely see him this weekend  and the lumber will be complete this Friday.  
Frank Pender

Texas Ranger

Welcome, Jakar, enough Texans and we can take over this group! 8)

Osage Orange is as hard as the others tell you, cut it as green as possible.  The Houston woodworks net would be a good source to move it.

I'm in Livingston, and occaisionally get a little of the wood.

By the way, just had a 2 x 6 x12' purple heart board delivered.  Have a friend that works the oil patch in South America, and when they clear  a pipe line he has the local mills cut the logs to cants, boxes them up in a shipping crate, fumigates, and brings them home.

Waiting on some ebony.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

JoeyLowe

;)  Now Don, that just ain't right.  Purple heart...ebony...South America...I need some friends like that! 8)
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Sawduster

Another Texan here, around Austin.  Looks like we got it pretty well covered except the Farrr west area, and they ain't got no trees out there.  Lucky is the fella living out there in Livingston.  Got a place on the Lake?  I got a buddy out there who gave up a heck of a good living in Houston to live there near the lake.

I'm not a Sawyer, but a long time amatuer woodworker, and I lurk here ocassionally to see what's goin on.  I travel a lot for work and have to get my woodworking fix via the net.  

That Bois D'arc is some hard stuff, but it machines pretty good and turns right nice.  Problem is that it is sometimes hard to come by.  Not a normal commercial wood, and the ranchers use a lot of it for fence posts.  Cut it green, stick it in the ground and tack some bob war on it and that war is there forever.  As to a market, I could handle some, though not in great quantities.  No place to store a whole bunch, but I'd bet a couple other woodworker buddies I know would be interested also.

Jerry
"He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist." --St. Francis of Assisi--

Jacar

I will let you know when I cut it.  It will probably be several months before I get a chance to get up there.

Jack
Jack Watkins

LeeB

Sawduster, Where are you in the Austin area. I am in Liberty Hill. LeeB :)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!