Leveling the sills.

Sills leveled, view from highway.

First bent.

Corner joint.

Da rock foundation.

Second bent.

ARKANSAWYER

Jim_Rogers

I hope it doesn't get windy up there and blow that frame or building off that foundation.........
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Lookin like progress being made, and high enough that LBJ can keep the crawlspace clear of critters. Seems that foundation follows a pattern of a previous pic Arky posted.
The weather looks a bit more appealing to working outside than our thunderstorms and fog of recent weeks. Haen't seen the sun for a while now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logwalker

Can you provide details on those angle brackets. They look interesting. Weldments maybe? LW

Are you anywhere near Pocahontas Ark. My birthplace. :) LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Tom

The county would be here with a bulldozer burying and burning my stuff if I did that.   The next door neighbor's "approved" architect's, signed porch had to have a 24" x 3' deep solid concrete, steel reinforced poured footer with solid poured, steel reinforced piers every 6 feet, tied into the steel of the footer.  Topping that were laminated 2x12 treated SYP with 2x8 joists installed in metal hangers.  The porch structure is 2x6 and 2x8 with a 5/4 floor and 1x6 decking on the shingle covered roof.  It is all 4.0 CCA rough pine.

The county was adamant that it be done this way and seemed to give no thought that the porch is tied to his double-wide mobile home.   He had to actually insert heavier material into the roof-line of the home to tie the porch into it.

We laugh about it, but the expense almost put him under.   He says if a Hurricane actually does pass over us, he and  his wife are going to run outside and get on the porch.  :D

ARKANSAWYER

This house has been sitting like this for about 100 years.   I used a tad bit bigger rocks since I have a 63hp 4x4 tractor to move them around with.   Worked for them so it is good enough for me.   If someone does say any thing I will just tell them it is a portable building.

Got the last bent up just before dark today.

LW     Poka is about 100 miles east of me.  If you look down a few threads there is one about sockets or connectors that covers these things.   These are 4x4 that I make for my buildings.

We normally get about 50 inches of rain a year but this year we have gotten 34.  Dry Dry here.   Waiting for the spark that sends it all up in smoke like out in OK and Texas.

ARKANSAWYER

Dana

Tom, It sounds like the inspector was planning on some seriously frozen ground and a lot of snow.  Maybe he had just left Michigan,what good luck!
Arky nice looking start on your office building.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

moosehunter

Arky,
That looks like ifn ya sneezed in it, it would fall off them rocks! It is amazing the things that look solid that fall over in a slight wind and footers like yours last forever! I have seen barns on stones like that and always wondered how they stood for a hundred years!?
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Frickman

Good looking building you got going there Arky!  8) 8) Where are you going to install the safe, where you'll put all the money you'll be making? Maybe it should be one of those drop safes, like at the gas station. LBJ can lie underneath beside the safe and guard it for you.  ;)
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

ScottAR

Looking Good Arkie!

I wouldn't worry much about the footing...

Twisters out here blow down everything equally, footings or not...   
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

KILROY

ARKY,

Nice start on your office. Would you post a picture ( if you have one ) or describe how the bents are fastened to the sill.  Thanks

ohsoloco

Kilroy, check out the picture in Arky's first post that shows the corner joint.  Looks like he used tenons on the bottom of the bent posts to slip into those mortises  ;)

ARKANSAWYER

KILROY the sills are 6x6's and the post are 4x4's.  The corners have a 2x2 mortise and the post have a 2x2x6 tenon.  The post just drop down and lock the corners together and I peg them with a 6 in timbertite screw.

Around here we have "naters" and most of the time all that is left is the foundation.  People joke about mobile homes being "nater rollers" because the storms roll them across the fields.  But the houses are just blown to pieces and strung out through the trees.   If the office falls off of the rocks I will just take the loader back over and sit it back up.   Not likly to fall apart as all of the lumber was "STAMPED" so that makes it better.  ;D 
ARKANSAWYER

KILROY

Thanks for the reply and explanation, ohsoloco and ARKY.

dewwood

Arky,

Looks like you are open for business!  The only problem I have when working on my own things is that it creates a revenue outgo instead of income.  Looking good maybe some day we can get down your way and have a look see.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

ARKANSAWYER

Well I got back to do some work on the place.   This is the back wall of the building and it is Southern Yellow Pine.

This is a close up of the gable end.

This is the porch and it is made from ERC and will have a roof when I get time to saw it out.

I have been waiting 3 weeks for Entergy to come hook up my power.   Seems Commercial takes alot longer then Residential even though it is a simple 110/240 single ph 100 amp setup.  The power pole is just 30 ft from the building so no real big deal.  They came out Friday and hooked the wire to the weather head and said they would be back next week to hook up the power.    ::)   Chewed my tounge abit but what could a body do? 

ARKANSAWYER

Larry

The gable is original and quite attractive.  I'm impressed. 8)

Your power company works same schedule as Ozark Electric...they took couple of months to plant 2 poles...after I paid them $900 to do it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sprucebunny

Ya.... I really like your gable end, too. I'd like to build something like that.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ARKANSAWYER

The siding used on the gable end is really expensive and hard to get.   But since it is my office I spared on expense for it is a show room as well.   It took me a spell to gather it up and get it planed but it does looke nice nailed up which is not as easy as one might think.   The front gable will be done in ERC the same way.
ARKANSAWYER

scsmith42

Arky - VERY NICE!  I've done some of my farm buildings in a similar manner; I really like the way that the natural edged wood looks under the eaves.  On my battens, I will use a 3/4 x 3" board - just seems to look better proportionally to me.

Did you really plane those gable end boards?  I've always left mine rough cut, but yours sure do look good!

Regards,

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ARKANSAWYER

Yes they were planed down to 3/4 thick.  The center cuts tend to cup a bit so I flattened them down.   I am waiting for them to yellow a bit then will seal them.
ARKANSAWYER

Mr Mom

Hey thats what my dad wanted to do to the house about 5 years ago.
     Look great.

Thanks Mr Mom

TexasTimbers

Arky that's nice. I like the use of those flitches. I guess they ar flitches.
Say, is the building itself anchored to the planet?
I want to use ERC for siding on some project too. Do you think 1/2" is too thin for siding or should I bump it to 3/4"?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ARKANSAWYER

1/2 is a bit thin and I find 3/4 works better with battens that are 1 inch.  I have sold 1/2 board and battens for inside jobs.

No the thing is just sitting on rocks.   The running joke in the area is when will it fall off or roll down the hill.   A week or so ago we had a bad wind day.  It gusted to over 50 mph and knocked trees down.  People told me they just drove by to see if the building was laying on it's side.  ::)   Entergy finally came and hooked up power.   The Lineman said at least the power wire will keep it from going to far.  :D :D
  See what happens when there are no building codes.  It would amaze you the number of people who tell me it will never stand.   The thing is the oldest buildings in the area are built the same way and have been here for 100 plus years.
ARKANSAWYER

thedeeredude

Nice place Arky!  I don't know if a foundation like that would work up here because of frost heave though.  Or doesnt it matter since nothing was put in the ground?  What size building is it too?

hillbilly

ARKY ,
        is there a set width that you are using for your lap siding ?
         It looks great you've done a great job .
hillbilly

thecfarm

We have frost here in Maine and there are still old barns and building standing on rocks like that.Yes,some should be shored back up,but 100 years plus,what can one expect.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Fla._Deadheader

Inspectors expect 1000 years.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Get a real kick outta the people that move into Florida. Want concrete houses that are TUFF to heat and cool, unless ya got deep pockets.  Their statement when I tell 'em I would NEVER live in a concrete house, is, WELL, you don't see many OLD WOODEN houses standing, do you ????????

My comeback is FLORIDA HAD VERY FEW RESIDENTS in the OLD days.  Didn't NEED lots of houses ???  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Raphael

Here's what I had to do to keep our inspector happy.

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!