iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

God's just like GrItz

Started by Bro. Noble, January 01, 2006, 09:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Well now this is gonna take a religious turn,  so if you think it will offend you,  you might wanna back out now :o  That was the jist of our sermon this morning ;D

We're without a preacher and they came up empty for a substitute this morning so they asked this old school marm if she would say something.  Being a woman as well as a school marm they knew she likely would.  Some of you may remember me mentioning this old lady on a birthday thread a year or two ago.  I was complaining about having to share my birthday with Jeff and Charlie and was telling about this old woman at church that not only had the same birthday as us,  but was born at the very same day and hour and minute as me.  Well we were both born north of here-------me up Fox creek at Grandma's house,  and her in a hospital in Galva, Ellynoise.  Now you probably think I'm rambling,  but that's not so,  It's important to establish early in this story that the old sister is a yankee and I don't want to just outright say that in case she should ever read this.  Wouldn't want to offend the poor old thing you know. ::)

Well you're probably feeling pretty sorry for me,  knowing that I'm about to have to set through a sermon delivered by some old Yankee school marm,  but that wasn't the case at all.  I'd herd her give a memorial one time and knew that she had a gifted way with words and would not have a conventional sermon most likely.  I wasn't exactly prepared for what she had to say,  however.  It took much less time for her to deliver than I've already invested in this post.  I didn't even get sleepy and got home in time to take my Sunday nap in the comfort and privacy of my own home ;)

Here's her sermon,  pretty much in it's entirety:

She and her husband went to eat breakfast at a little cafe one time.  They ordered ham and eggs and biscuits.  When the waitress brought the ham and eggs and biscuits,  there was also two bowls of white stuff with a pat of butter on them.  She asked her husband "whats this" ?  He said "I don't know,  must be a mistake".

They called the waitress over and asked "What's this,  we didn't ask for this".

The waitress said " Why,  honey,  them's grItz.  They come with every breakfast,  no extra charge,  try em,  they'll do ya good"

Her conclusion was:  Those grItz were just like the grace of God-------available to everyone,  free,  and good for you if you partake 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

HORSELOGGER

And multitudes of people turn their nose up at it and figure its ok for common folks...sinners and such... but its not good enough for them :D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

DanG

8) 8) 8) 8)

I wonder if we'll get to spell it right now, in light of this new information, and all? ;D

:D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

I guess the only thing I have to look forward to is eternal damnation.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

farmerdoug

Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

HORSELOGGER

But judging by the pictures , you'll get to play with alot of neato toys in the mean time ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

crtreedude

Wait one minute there! God's grace is a awful lot better than GRITS!

After you have tasted it - it is hard to resist coming back for more - but I won't say the same about GRITS.

Of course, I am an elder's kid - Jeff and I probably caused trouble in church together... (You know why the elder's kids are aways in trouble don't you? They hang out with the preacher's kids...)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

I could tell some stories... ;D

getoverit

What's really scary is that my daughter married a preacher's kid  :o

:D :D :D

He takes good care of her though and as far as I know is a good husband to her. Couldnt have asked for a better SIL if I tried ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

bitternut

Well I can not figure out what the big fuss about gritz(grits) is all about. Being located in Western NY we don't see or hear too much about them in our area restaurants. In fact the first time I have ever seen them was at the Cracker Barrel located near the Buffalo airport. I was sending my nephew back to the left coast and we stopped there for breakfast. He saw them on the menu and we all decided to try them. We all thought they were pretty darn good. Would definitely get them again if I ever see them on a menu. I think you ought try them Jeff, they really were good.

Driven to Florida several times and never noticed them on any menu's in the south. Have spent quite a bit of time in Florida and never noticed them there. Must be they don't have them on menu's around the tourist areas, at least not around Port Charlotte where I have a lot. Too many Yankee's I guess.

Burlkraft

Did you's guy's know that here in Wisco .......

We make our gritz from tasty bits of ground up cheese soaked in beer ??? ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Tom

Bitternut,

There was a time around here that there was no need to have them on the menu because they were standard fair.  Kinda like getting a glass of water with your meal.  (used to do that too  :D )

I don't care what you ordered for breakfast, you got GrItz.   They even came with pancakes a lot of times.   None of that "monkey bowl" mess either.  They were ladled out onto your plate in heaping gobs.

Then the foreigners started coming in full tilt from N.J., N.Y. and places north.  They didn't know quite how to handle GrItz.  They would order Home fries (foreign to us) and they would come with GrItz.   Hash browns please!.   ....and they would come with GrItz.   It took an act of congress to get the GrItz off of one's plate.   We didn't mind because it was a staple, but, those folks would get all riled up and yell and scream and stomp their foot and burn rubber leaving the parking place.  They just didn't understand that we were trying to make them welcome. Shucks, they weren't even charged for them.

Now, the Southern population that was here has been thinned so greatly that it is difficult to find a real Floridian unless you happen along the by-way's.  Most of them ran out of here in the '60's looking for lost independence and the rest have been slowly following as the language changes to undecipherable jargons like winus notches and useguises.

Finding themselves with no GrItz, these Southerners have been at a real loss.  Conversation has turned to GrItz, generally, as a result of someone trying to find some.   A lot of grocery stores in those foreign lands have begun to carry them to please the influx of Southerners who are replacing those native foreigners who migrated to the South.

Yes, there is no way to get away from them.  Even Fred has found that they will follow you to Costa Rica.

As Southerners again begin their commandeering of the globe, GrItz will follow and, as  history has shown, be provided on your plate, for free, with all breakfasts.

Be aware that it is dangerous to order GrItz in a restaurant where you get charged for them as a separate ala carte.  This is one of the best ways of knowing that you are being sold food prepared by foreigners.  It is also an indication, though not as trustworthy, to find that they have no GrItz on the menu.  If you do run into these situations beware,  the food you eat may not be what it is presented to be.  Foreigners will put almost any old danged thing on a plate.  ;D

thurlow

I thought "Grit" was singular and was the name of a weekly newspaper out of the 50's.   I am so confused!!!!!
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Tom

:P   you have to understand the vocabulary.  Grit is the determination to accomplish a task.

Grits is a word that properly describes the ground corn product that is the manna of the south.

Grit is a descriptive noun that references particles of sand, abrasives or direction of mind.

Grits, as a food, is always "plural" with an "S", even when it's singular.  :-\    You can tell right off of the bat that a person is unfamiliar with the terminology when they say "Grits is good".  That is incorrect.  The proper way to describe Grits is to say "Grits are good".

Now, there are some who say "Grits ain't good", but they just don't know what they are talking about or their taste buds have been burned out.   ;D

Jeff

Quote from: bitternut on January 02, 2006, 12:59:42 PM
I think you ought try them Jeff, they really were good.

Well, I have. :)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=9913.0

I suppose I can be serious about grits for a moment. They can be edible. They can be good. However, I don't wish to break any commandments by worshiping them.

Teri

I went to the grocery store to get some of those gritz and I forgot them!!!! :(

crtreedude

It is probably what put you in a good mood Teri - forgetting them grits...

Teri

Nope...don't think so....

So how is dear old dad doing down there??? ;D

crtreedude

Day two - not eaten by the overgrown boa yet - I did sugget he buy a machete though...

He is slower than the workers in running, so he might have to defend himself.  ;)

Teri

Um.. he's not that slow!!!!! I found that out the hard way.. ;D ;D ;D

asy

He doesn't have to be fast, just faster than at least one other person...

Jeff, ya don't have to worship the grits, you could always claim to be re-running the exodus out of egypt...  Doesn't the bible say the lord supplied grits from heaven?

Oh, wait, that's manna...  hmm...  REWRITE!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

ARKANSAWYER

We eats lots of grits in this area so, you reckon that's why they call this the "Bible Belt"?      ???
ARKANSAWYER

crtreedude

Perhaps, to me they do taste like ground up Bibles...

Thank You Sponsors!