iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

picture test

Started by Daren, January 01, 2006, 09:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I have had computer troubles and couldn't post pics, if I fixed it like I think I did this is a picture of a segmented turned vessel I made. Sorry to start a new thread just to play with my computer, but I enjoy others photos and have been missing not being able to post my own.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Daren

I will try to make this test post worth reading, this is what happens when you don't return your head to the "sawin' end" of the track and flip a big one up to square the edge. If you can't tell from the pic, I can't clear it to go back it is to tall. I had to take the blade off to return. (of course a guy was watching the whole time)

Dan_Shade

that turning looks awesome.  looks like it has a bunch of "air gaps" does it?

nice on on the cant turning :) i'm surprised I haven't done that
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

old3dogg

Burlkraft

Hey Daren,

That is a VERY nice segmented turning 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I have always admired the patients that segmented turners have ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

You are truley an artist :) :) :) :) :) :)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Daren

This took even more patience Burlkraft. I made this solid cedar chess set for a guy. (the pic stinks, it is the only shot I got before I shipped it out). I handcarved all the pieces, used heartwood for one side and sapwood for the other so you could tell the "teams" apart. Each of the 64 squares on the board are inlayed into a lid to a box the pieces fit in.
But the turning took more guts, I am always afraid they will fly apart and hit me in th head if I touch them too hard with a turning tool.

Stump Jumper

8)  8)  smiley_thumbsup  thanks for the pics
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Burlkraft

Daren,

Turner, carver, woodworker, sawyer......what else is on the list ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Veeerrrryyyyyy nice chess set there 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

iain

I can see you take your chess very seriously "teams" :D

nice turning, as i keep saying i dont have the patience? to work like that
so you get double the admiratoin from me

iain

Daren

Quote from: iain on January 01, 2006, 12:37:15 PM
I can see you take your chess very seriously "teams" :D

iain

I can make a chess set, but I don't play. I didn't know what to call them, I just know the sets I saw have 2 different colors.  ???

I made this board from white oak and walnut quite awhile ago, fortunately the people already had pieces they just wanted a board on a stand that the pieces could be stored in. I did make some walnut and oak checkers and threw them in with the deal, they are good customers.

Daren

I can't play chess, but make chess sets. I can't play guitar either, but I made this pick guard for a guy. He had switched the pick ups around on his Fender and needed a new pick guard. It is a pretty guitar with a curly maple neck and black body, I thought this spalted curly maple guard would tie the 2 together.

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

CHARLIE

Quote from: Daren on January 01, 2006, 10:10:37 AM
But the turning took more guts, I am always afraid they will fly apart and hit me in th head if I touch them too hard with a turning tool.

Daren, just be sure you're wearing a full face shield so if it does fly apart it won't knock out a tooth, break a jaw, or put out an eye.  ;)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Daren

I'm pretty safety minded (I'm afraid of doctors). A guy said something to me along time ago that stuck with me. "The price of an eye is out of sight"

Burlkraft

I got smacked in the head....well the face really.....with a hunk hard maple that I wuz turnin' about 2 years ago. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I had a nice black eye.....one of the nicest that I have ever had.

I still have the constant ringing in my ears though.....Doc says it will probably always be there :-[ :-[ :-[

If I wudda been wearin' a face shield it wouldn't have been nearly as bad ::) ::) ::) ::)

What fun would that have been  ??? ??? ??? 8) 8) 8) 8)

MemphisLogger

Daren,

I really like your chess sets!

I've been meaning to make myself one.

So far the only game board I've made is this one . . .

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

jon12345

That is a cool scrabble board.  Is it a flat surface, looks to me like the tiles nest inside the  squares?

Some of the work you guys do is amazing.  Keep up the good work  :)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Daren

Nice board Scott, my wife was looking over my shoulder and commented on it. It seems like making little things well is alot harder than making a big thing. That looks well made.
I don't know how to play euker, but I had a guy who bought a bunch of little scraps for the boards he makes. All he wanted was big walnut knots, cedar sawmill slabwood, stuff like that. He was here to buy a pick up I was selling, he got the truck and a 1/2 load of stuff I was glad to get rid of and he was glad to have.

Phorester

Very nice game boards, Daren and Scott.  I have a checker board made probably 60 years ago from a wooden sewing machine cover.  It's about 2 feet x 3-1/2 feet.  The fellow who made it was a friend of my father.  The length makes it good for the opposing players to sit facing each other in chairs and putting each end of the board in their laps.   

The cover was veneered.   I can't figure out how he did it unless he first took off the top veneer, which is medium brown.  Looks like he then cut out the squares, inserted whiter wood squares alternating with the brown ones, then glued it all back together.  It's at my mom's house so I haven't seen it in awhile, but I believe it's oak.

Anybody else have an idea about how he might have done it?

jon12345

Phorester, maybe he added new layers of veneer over top of the original  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Burlkraft

Daren,

Awesome pick guard 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I have built a couple of guitar bodies....You are right.....the small things are much harder to do well than big things.

You are more than a craftsman......you are an artist ;) ;) ;)

MemphisLogger

Quote from: jon12345 on January 07, 2006, 01:40:35 PM
That is a cool scrabble board.  Is it a flat surface, looks to me like the tiles nest inside the  squares?

Some of the work you guys do is amazing.  Keep up the good work  :)

Thanks, Jon! The playing surface is a piece of 1/2 birch plywood that I finished with shellac, screen printed, then kerfed in one direction to glue in the little Cherry dividers, and then kerfed the other direction for the rest. It sits on a lazy susan base. It is now being used at Scrabble competitions across the Midwest  ;D

Daren,

Sorry to jump on your thread  :-* and thanks for your compliments  :)

I agree about the little things being hard--I can knock out a $1000 table in under 2 days but it took me a whole week to get that little scrabble board right  ::) of course, now that I have the jigs and the silk screen made, I should be able to knock 'em out at a decent profit--whenever I get a round tuit  :D

I'm intrigued by your pick guard. How thick is it? Did you have to soak it in CA or epoxy to get it to be stiff enough?

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Phorester

"Phorester, maybe he added new layers of veneer over top of the original?"

That was my first thought, but nope, unless it is very thin and impossible to see the joint (I just can't believe that veneeer would be that thin, especially made so long ago), it's the original top veneer or a replacement for it.

My Dad always thought he just cut out the alternating squares and flipped them over, exposing a whiter underside, but I'm sure the underside of such a veneer sheet would be the same color as the top.

Any other ideas?

I'll have to take another look at it next time I'm down at Mom's.

Daren

Quote from: UrbanLogger on January 08, 2006, 12:58:21 PM
Daren,

Sorry to jump on your thread :-* and thanks for your compliments :)

I agree about the little things being hard--I can knock out a $1000 table in under 2 days but it took me a whole week to get that little scrabble board right ::) of course,

Heck no, I really dig seeing everyones stuff.
You DO know what I mean about the little stuff then. I was over my estimated time on that chess set BEFORE I even started the pieces, which took a whole day. And I bid the job, ouch, but I didn't rush it just to finish. I wanted a satified customer, and he gave me more work after he recieved it that we had not discussed. This is an exact quote from his e-mail listing the next 4 small projects "I am not a woodworker, but do have some understanding of the time and tools it takes to make things like this. Please be fair to both of us when you bill me for the next items and charge a little more". I wish they were all like him.
The pick guard is just a hair over 1/8", I had the old one for a template and just kept running some thin stock through the planer in baby bits till I matched it. It is really not very stiff, but about as stiff as the original plastic one. It has a bunch of screws to hold it to the solid body guitar. I just sanded it with 600 and wiped it with Tung oil and put several coats of Renaissance Wax on it. Cool stuff the wax, I use it when I don't want to change the color of the wood. Works good on some of my figured lumber. It doesn't give a high gloss finish, so I can't use it on everything though.

Thank You Sponsors!