iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Intro

Started by Bobby R, December 31, 2005, 12:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby R

I've been lurking around for a while and figured it is time to say "Hello" and introduce myself.  I am not a sawmill owner, but come from the supplier side - I learned of this forum from several customers.

I've been in the industry for 12 years and with a manufacturer of circular blades. I am interested in bandmills primarily to see what it is that comes in and converts the people that I have worked with for years on the circular side. I am seeing more and more activity in the swing mill area, and I am trying to learn more of their capabilities.

If I may be of any help to anyone let me know. I was reluctant to post here, being a supplier, but I see a lot of questions I could help with (like where to find a certain piece of info, or hard to find parts, etc.). I wanted to introduce myself before I chime in. Let me know if I step out of bounds!

I work for B.H. Payne and Company. We are manufacturers of circular saw blades only. We also have mill supplies. We are a family business founded in 1890.

Bobby Richardson
www.paynesaws.com

farmerdoug

Welcome aboard, Bobby.
There is a fair number of circle mill owners here too.  Maybe you can convince your company to sponsor the Forum also.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum! 

Even us band sawmill guys us circle blades.  I've got  two on my edger!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Fla._Deadheader

Just so's y'all know, I did business with Bobby a little while back. Had 2 new blades made for the Peterson and bought 100 new carbide tips. Good service, and I been after him to join up with us.

Welcome Bobby. Harold in Florida, now Costa Rica.   8) 8) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Brad_S.

Welcome Bobby. 8)
To answer your inquiry, I can tell you I went with a band mill for a number of reasons.
First is the narrow kerf = more lumber.
Second is I can sharpen a band but I don't know how to hammer circle blades, so I can do my own blade maintenance.
Third, big spinning circle blades scare the bejeebers out of me! The circle sawyers I know often have knick names like 'Stumpy' and 'Lefty'. :D I have to really do something stupid to get hurt with the band mill.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

getoverit

Quote from: Brad_S. on December 31, 2005, 05:28:23 PM
Welcome Bobby. 8)
The circle sawyers I know often have knick names like 'Stumpy' and 'Lefty'. :D

You actually have a point Brad ;D  Since most swing mills are spinning mostly at waist to knee level, I DID check to make sure none of the Peterson guys on the board were talking with real high voices. I think an investment in a good pair of chaps would solve most worries about swingmills slinging things out at ya.

Bobby, I bought a peterson because it can be moved, set up, and operated by one person (if needed), and because it doesnt really require a lot of support equipment to keep it sawing since it mills the log where it lays.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Larry

Welcome Bobby...glad to have you join in.

From a small time sawyer don't think Brad could have put it any better.

Quote from: Brad_S. on December 31, 2005, 05:28:23 PM
Third, big spinning circle blades scare the bejeebers out of me! The circle sawyers I know often have knick names like 'Stumpy' and 'Lefty'. :D I have to really do something stupid to get hurt with the band mill.

On the production side I watched a circle head rig feeding a Brewco grade resaw with run around while back.  Pretty impressive operation and they were flat kicking out some lumber.  The bandsaw blade had to be in the wood a good 95% of the time.   

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jon12345

resaws help the headsaw keep movin, a saw can only move as fast as its slowest piece of equipment, which is almost always the headsaw.

It isn't really that hard to sharpen, swedge, and replace teeth in a circle saw blade, I've seen complete idiots do it with some proper instruction  :D

The best part, is when the pit gets clogged, and you're volunteered to go shovel it  >:(
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Thank You Sponsors!