iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Software to layout a timberframe home.

Started by Tremel, December 30, 2005, 09:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tremel

I know that this has been discussed before.  I also did a search and found Jim's posting on dietrich's free 2D download.

What I'm looking for is something simple to get idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.  Basically, my goal is to finalize our design for our new house by the end of 2006.  My wife and I have looked over countless floorplans and I haven't found a stock plan that I like.  I haven't even found a plan close enough to customize.

So, what I want to do is draw out the new house with some sort of cad software and work the frame in later.  I once used software from punch to add an addition onto my current house.  It was great and simple to use.  I was wondering if this off the shelf software can still be used to draw up a timberframe home and then once we have an idea of what we want, we can pay someone to draw up the frame to mesh with the plans.

Does this make any sense???

Also, I'm still looking to attend any workshops in the Ohio Valley area.  :-)  Better yet, anyone interested in having one at my place?  I'm ready to get my hands wet...
Bill Tremel
Claysville, PA
Collector of Antique engines, Trucks, tractors and hobby farmer.

Jim_Rogers

You can use punch or any other floor plan drawing program to draw your "shell" and place the doors and windows into it.
Locate your rooms by sizes and types, and do both floors, if you're having a second floor.
The more information you can provide the easier it will be for a timber frame designer to understand what you want.
Don't get locked into actual room sizes as some may have to change a bit to make a frame fit in with standard widths and lengths of bents and bays.
Which program you use really depends on how much you want to spend.
I'm not sure of the price of punch but there are others, such as sketchup which is around $500 or so.
I use Chief Architect to draw shells and Dietrich's D-CAM to draw frames, using 2D PlanCAD to dimension them.

Whatever you get or use make sure you can print out your work, hopefully with dimensions.

Good luck with your search.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Coon

Jim, 
  What are the exact program names for those programs.  The names do not work when I do searches to find more about these.  I am refering to punch and sketchup..

I have tried to use the Dietrich's D-CAM using 2D PlanCAD to no avail.  Don't work for some reason. >:(

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Jim_Rogers

Here is the link to punch : click here for link to punch software site

Here is the link to sketchup: click here for link to sketchup software

They just released a new version of 2DplanCAD. Suppose to be version 5.03 or something like that.
I haven't downloaded it yet, but it's suppose to be better.
What was your problem using it?

Jim Rogers

rcolmansr60

I used Punch and enjoyed it. I also had an older version of 3D Home Architect. That was a good cheap program back when ART was doing it for them. I tried there newer version and had lots of problems with my computer hanging up.  I also use Chief (by ART) which is very good but lots more $$. ART also does a program for about $500 for Better Homes and Garden but I have no knowledge of how that works maybe Mr. Rogers does. Punch had a user forum whic is good as people ask questions such as yours about "will this work for me"
Dick

Dave Petrina

I've designed 3 timber frames using Punch! Home Design.  I used the software to design the shell and the frame.  I only modeled the timbers; not the joinery.  The program is useful for developing a conceptional design of the frame and working with clients on the design but not suitable for generating any drawings or frame details.  Also, modeling the timbers is a bit cumbersome.  If you are interested, I would be happy to forward some jpeg's or Punch! files.

Coon

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 02, 2006, 09:25:31 AM
Here is the link to punch : click here for link to punch software site

Here is the link to sketchup: click here for link to sketchup software

They just released a new version of 2DplanCAD. Suppose to be version 5.03 or something like that.
I haven't downloaded it yet, but it's suppose to be better.
What was your problem using it?

Jim Rogers

Well first off nothing seems to work with the 2DplanCAD.  I downloaded it and have no instructions on how to use it and also don't have a clue as to what to do.

Thanks for the links.  I will take a look and possibly try them out tomorrow.  It's just about time to go saw some wood in my sleep. :D
Brad.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Jim_Rogers

Coon:
I downloaded the newer version and tested it.
Seemed to work ok for me.

There are three tutorial movies listed on the download page underneath or in the download box. These movies show you how to use a lot of the basic drawing functions.
Did you download them and what them?
They should show you how to do most everything you'll need to do.
If not as some specific questions and I'll try and help you.

Jim Rogers

Tremel

Thanks for the reply's.  I think I'm going to stick with Punch.  I've used it before and I't pretty simple to use.  My wife will be able to visualise the rooms and I'll leave the timber-layout to an expert once the rough idea is layed out.

I would love to see some pics from Punch of a timberframe.

Now the next question.  Which package of Punch to buy?  They have a basic for about $29 and go all the way up to $300+ for professional versions.  I don't care for the landscape and deck versions.  However, I would like to layout my kitched and do a little 3d walkthough.

My wife and I have a pretty good idea of what style of home to build.  We're thinking of a story and a half with a saltbox back.  Two or three doormers on the front with some sort of grand entrance.  I want to keep the house simple, yet eligant.  Probably no more than 2200 sq/ft of living space.

This is exciting for both of us.  I'm sure I'll be on this forum more over the next year.
Bill Tremel
Claysville, PA

rcolmansr60

Bill

I use the AS18 but don't recall why I upgraded from the Pro. You can always upgrade and you don't end up spending any more than if you bought the higher end one at the start.

I will email you a jpg of the one I was going to build.

Dick

Qweaver

I use a program called Mircografx Designer to make 3 view (orthographic) drawings.   It's simple to learn and drawing made to scale allow fairly accurate design.  It's a very old program, 1992 I think, and I'll bet that there are other newer similar programs out there.  I also own TurboCAD but find Designer lends itself to simple designs better and faster.  You can't draw in 3D so if you make changes you have to manually change all of the views. 
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

srjones

One other thought you might consider:  When it comes time to draw the *exact* layout of the frame including joinery (after you've got the conceptual work done), you might hire someone that has invested in the license for Cadwork to detail out the frame.

http://www.cadwork.com/
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Tremel

I picked up Punch AS18 software over the weekend.  It's exactly what I'm looking for to figure out what the house will look like.  It appears that the new version has a log post and beam layout.  All I need to do is change the round logs into square beams and PRESTO....

Dick, I would still love to see some of your work.  Since I have the software, I can view the native file format.
Bill Tremel
Claysville, PA

mark davidson

I wanted to jump in here and ask if anyone out there is working on a mac, and could you recommend a CAD program for the mac.... I do my design by hand, but the reality of more and more drawing jobs coming in is beginning to hit home.
thanks

PeterHH

I used Ashlar-Vellum Graphite for many years on a Mac.  It is a fairly intuitive program - Ashlar bills their programs as "software that works the way you think" and I belive it is true.  Although I currently work with Dietrich's 3D CAD, for much of my 2D work I still use the Ashlar program (it will run on both Mac and PC).  I'm not sure of current pricing but you can check at www.ashlar.com.

Jim_Rogers

Welcome Peter.....
Another D-CAM user, at last......

Thank You Sponsors!