iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning your band sharpener????

Started by Percy, December 30, 2005, 10:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

First off, hope every one had a Merry Christmas and may the new year bring you an appreciation for the taste of certain sawdusts ;D ;D

Anyhow, I sometimes lapse on the "cleaning" of my WM sharpener when I get busy and am sharpening 5-6 blades a day, every day. That metalic "sawdust" builds up behind the grinding wheel and , well, its gotta go as if it builds up too much, it will interfere with the movement of the grinder head and cause allsorts of problems. My question is, does anybody know of a substance that will soften this crud to make the cleaning easier?? I currently use a screwdriver and a hammer  :D but I was hopin for somthing a little less "redneck", like a spray or somthin??? Any suggestions???
Thanks.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kirk_Allen

I have two strong magnets I use to keep the unit somewhat clean.  One directly behind the grinding wheel that catches flying metal and another submerged in the water next to the pump.

I clean the magnets after 30-40 sharpenings. 

Fla._Deadheader

I think a screwdriver and hammer is traditional SOP  ;) :) :)

Don't neglect the clamp movement, either.   ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Coon

A shop vac around the sharpener is always handy.  After sharpening my bands for the following day I often use the vac to suck up any unwanted crud.  Sometimes a srewdriver is needed but  not that often.  I would like to put magnets like mentioned and then just vac off the magnets when they get a cluttered with junk material. I just haven't remembered to buy these magnets when I am in town. ;)
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Tom

Put your magnets in a ziplock bag and you won't have to clean them.  Just take the bag off of the magnet and the dirt falls off.

I keep one in the water tray of my sharpener to keep metal trash out of the pump.  every once in a while, I turn it wrong side out as I take it off of the magnet and throw it away.  My magnet stays clean.  ;D

Kirk_Allen

Percy

Great ideas and tips...Thanks all....
later
Percy :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

shopteacher

You guys got to move up to more modern technology. A small, long, sharp cold chisel works much better than a screwdriver.  ;D  I knew going to college would come in handy someday. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

highpockets

Anyone have any good closeup photos of a WM sharpener?  Could you email me a few please?

:)
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!