iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

are these old saws worth anything

Started by Skytramp, December 29, 2005, 10:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skytramp

Are these collectors items or are they junk.

Skytramp
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

farmerdoug

Skytramp, just send them to Jeff.  He will dispose of them for you in an environmentally safe way for you.
;D ;D ;D
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

thecfarm

I knew Jeff wouldn't let these get by him.Did take him more than 4 minutes to answer.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Furby

Quote from: Jeff B on December 29, 2005, 10:38:42 PM
ya aint got a Barker rim saw have ya?
Now wait just one DanG minute!
You have one, two or is three of them! smiley_headscratch
Let someone else have a chance! ;D ;D ;D

oldsaw

Some guys collect "junk"....no offense, Jeff... ;)

One man's trash is another man's treasure. 
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Skytramp

Jeff I had some kind of a rim saw, I think , it was round with a thin blade inside it, think maybe it was aluminum.  I was looking for it to take a picture for my gallery.  I can't find it, don't know if someone has stolen it or I have misplaced it.  My dad and I collected this stuff for years, I am not sure what i do have.  I have a couple of old lumbards, pioneers, 2 2man malls, an old gear drive mcCullach, that runs like a top, 150 blow torches.
     I will look some more for the rim saw.
Skytramp;

Jeff

I have a couple of them. Bro Nobles Granddaddy used to build them.  Here is a thread about them with some photos of my saws contained somewhere within the thread

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=1161.0

Jeff

Quote from: Furby on December 29, 2005, 11:02:30 PM
Now wait just one DanG minute!
You have one, two or is three of them! smiley_headscratch
Let someone else have a chance! ;D ;D ;D

Thats what I saw doing furb.  :)

asy

Quote from: Jeff B on December 30, 2005, 12:05:29 AM
Thats what I saw doing furb.  :)

Here, I'll correct your spelling:

That's what I WAS doing furb. :)

Even your SPELLING has freudian slips in it..  Always thinking of SAWS!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Skytramp

Yes Jeff That is what I have, I don't think the motor was on it, but the rest was pretty complete.  I will have to get out in the old barns and start digging, I need to orginize things anyway while the snakes are in hibernation. Ha.
Skytramp

Burlkraft

Skytramp..................

Is that your rod in the picture ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yellow is such an outstanding color :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If it is yours.....lets see a few more pics of that  :D :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sawguy21

Quote from: Burlkraft on December 30, 2005, 09:19:11 AM
Skytramp..................

Is that your rod in the picture ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yellow is such an outstanding color :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If it is yours.....lets see a few more pics of that  :D :D :D :D
That grabbed my attention too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Skytramp

Yep thats my rod, wish I had took a picture of what I started with.  My wife almost shot me when I came dragging just the body in on a trailer and told her that I had give a hundred dollars for it.  We had retrieved it from a barn lot and had almost torn it in half getting it on the wreaker forks.  shored up inside with 2X4s to keep it in one piece.  I put the floor boards in it on the trailer because I was afraid I would finish it off trying to unload it.  The metal was still in pretty good shape for a 75 year old car.  Its a 1930 model A ford with a punched out 460, moderate cam, roller lifters 780 dual line Holly, with a Mustang front end, C-6 automatic tran, 275 positrac 9 in. lincoln gears, disc brakes front and rear.  The frame is 3X3 X3/16 square tubing, ladder braced.  I built it to drive, but it will hold its own with anything on the road.  It took me two years to build it and I am still a little afraid of it.  I set the motor 10 inches behind the front axel for traction and it doesn't want to come back straight when the tires break loose, needs some professional adjustment on the front end.  I better shut up, I could talk about it all day. I've dreamed of that thing since high school, finally built it.  Theres a better picture of it in my gallery, I will take some more pictures when I get the upolestry done.
Skytramp;

Bill

Skytramp

A 460 punched out . . . why I do think the FAA requires a pilots license for it  ;)

Very Cool  -  looking forward to seeing the pic's.

Bill

sawguy21

Quote from: Bill on December 30, 2005, 06:20:04 PM
Skytramp

A 460 punched out . . . why I do think the FAA requires a pilots license for it  ;)

Very Cool  -  looking forward to seeing the pic's.

Bill
That thing might be prone to flying alright. I probably would not have my licence long enough to enjoy it.

Sunfield Hardwood

skytramp, to me those saws are collecters items, I have a very modest collection of old saws and other "stuff", but i'm a long ways from Missouri, shipping would probably be prohibitive.  :(, I'm not into it enough to guess accuratly as to value, just have a few old saws hanging from the rafters in the sawmill shed :)
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

Jeff

Sunfield Hardwood, we'll have to get together one day and compare saws we dont live that far away from each other. I dont have many chainsaws, What I really like are dragsaws. smiley_smug01

You can see some of them within this thread
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=8422.0

dail_h

I'm probably mistaken, but one appeares to be a Homelite WIZ 55 the other maybe a ZIP? Whatd I win?
   The one on the right looks like what I learned to saw with ---a long long time ago
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Minnesota_boy

I've hefted those old saws, repaired them, run them a bit.  Let me set you guys straight.  Those things are JUNK!!!   :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Skytramp

Dale H , you hit it right on, or at least i think you did, I know the one is a zip and I am pretty sure you are right on the other one.  the pictures lost some clearity compressing them.  I was kinda wondering if anyone would notice the old cars in the back ground.  Must not be any collectors around.
Skytramp;

Jeff

I see that phto was crunched clear down to less then 4 k. I would imagine if you left it up around 15 it would have maintained all of its original clarity.

sawguy21

Quote from: Minnesota_boy on December 31, 2005, 10:08:58 AM
I've hefted those old saws, repaired them, run them a bit.  Let me set you guys straight.  Those things are JUNK!!!   :D
In their time, they were a big improvement over two lumberjacks on a misery whip. The new saws are lighter, faster, infinitely more reliable but they had to start somewhere. I have some old brutes in my garage. I don't want to use one all day but they are fun to play with.

Skytramp

Yep Jeff, I still have a bit of a problem posting pictures, This hillbilly don't do computer very well on some things, I think I am getting better tho.  I can't find the posting rules, I have been going with 350 pixels and 20 compressed but it doesn't come out that way in the end, I forget to preview.  If that is the wrong sizes, would you please let me know.  My wife and I are pretty proud of our photo, you should see our house, it looks like a musem.  every time my wife runs out of wall space, I have to build on, (Not a real acurate statement, but close. )  visiters come in and walk around our living room before they sit down.
I will get all my old saws together and take a picture and do a better job of posting.
Skytramp.

Oh by the way, I saw a Bald Eagle today, of course I had left my camera at home.  Had full white head and tail feathers, I think that would be around three years old,It wasn't as big as some I have seen.  A real treat here in the Ozarks.
S T

dail_h

Unti just a few years ago ,my saw of choice wasa Homelite 80 eith a bow blade on it. They look odd,and a bit dangerous,but if you ever buck with one,a straight bar just won't do. Got a bow to fit a Super XL hanging in the shed now.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!