Tony

While trying to hunt the other day on family land, I found myself looking
more and more at the trees :o :o.Thinking to myself, now that tree would
do for a few 2x12's for the sawshed, that one for 2x6 rafters, that sweet gum
maybe for some 2x4 lath and so on.
   What's wrong with me? Is this a common problem or is it just me? :-\ :-[ :-\

Have I become a tree hunter ?

Help, Tony :-\
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

crtreedude

Tony,

It can be a positive thing - they are easier to hit...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

isawlogs

There is a large amount of people here with the same diagnosed symptom . Uncurable I might add.  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

farmerdoug

Easier to hit!!!! ::)
Sometimes I swear they move into the line of fire and take one for the deer I am aiming at. >:(

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

dutchman

I often hunt good wood at the same time hunting grouse.
The timber on state game lands and federal forests is really top notch.
There's this cherry in norther PA thats just great for turkey.

Rockn H

Sometimes I hate going to our hunting lease.  There are just too many trees that I can't saw. ;D  I keep going by the same 24" dbh holly trees and getting bad thoughts.  Not to mention some really nice old growth cypress.  I'm talking 80" dbh. ::)  If they would only fall now by the time the water comes up they would be just about ready to float. ::) :)

Flyboy

8) Tony, There may still be time left for you. I wood seek professional help soon. Stop eating anything that ever grew out of the ground. Trade in all your wooden (Yuk) furnature, move out of your stick built house or run away from your log cabin and move into a brick condo as deep in the city as you can. Avoid all streets named after trees and burry your wood stove. If you wake up first day of deer season, head into the woods toting a power saw and wearing a helmet. You've had it! 8)
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

Tony

Quote from: Flyboy on December 29, 2005, 10:15:57 PM
, move out of your stick built house or run away from your log cabin and move into a brick condo as deep in the city as you can.

That'll be the day  by the way the urbanites are moving
    out here, don't get me started on that one. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Tony
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

fat olde elf

Hey Tony !!! Read William Glasser's book "Positive Addictions" It is a good thing.............much like the Forestry Forum.............
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Skytramp

Your hooked, just take the easy way out and go with the flow, No use fighting it.
     One small word of advice, If you can get the Mrs. interested it goes much easier.
Skytramp;
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

asy

hehehe..  Can't wait to see the photos of nice timber full of bullet holes...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

crtreedude

Asy,

You want to use birdshot - it is a proven fact that if you shoot a tree with birdshot it won't move and give you time to go get your chainsaw. The scientist still aren't sure why...  ::)

You don't want to go filling a good log with metal, now do you?  ???
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Cedarman

Cedars and Walnut trees seem to be the ones that jump in front of the game you are shooting at.  With all the lead in the boards, it seems that way.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

oakiemac

I have the same affliction. When me and my buddy went out scouting our hunting land he was commenting on deer rubs, scrapes, runs ect but I keep looking up at the trees. Everytime I'd say something like "look at this nice straight cherry or I bet there is 600bf in this Red Oak" he would just roll his eyes.
I can't even walk down the street anymore with out looking a the trees and seeing a whack of good lumber. I have also been known to go up and hug a tree or two. Do you think that I have an advanced case of the disease? Is it too late for help? My family thinks so. ???
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

farmerdoug

Oakie, The Doc says your need therapy.  ::) Your prescription is to spend at least 4-6 hours a day on the Forestry Forum. 8)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

LIL

QuoteEverytime I'd say something like "look at this nice straight cherry or I bet there is 600bf in this Red Oak" he would just roll his eyes.
I can't even walk down the street anymore with out looking a the trees and seeing a whack of good lumber.

Oakie THAT sounds EXACTLY like someone I know.  I have been known to do the  ::) on more than one occassion.  As for the therapy Im sure he's getting that too!  :P ;D ;D
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

Tony

Hello again,
Just shot a basket racked 6pt (sorry no pics) ;D   Now where's that 30"
DBH white oak I was looking at before I was so rudely interrupted ::)

Tony

oldsaw

I drive down the street and eyeball trees anymore.  I used to watch women in my younger days, now it's trees.  I watch construction sites, yards, and along roads, looking for "action", analyzing trees to see if it is worth the effort to gain access to them.

Lost cause.  Join the club.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

rbjones03

I now can tell you exactly where ever cedar, walnut and pecan is between work and home. 

My wife thinks I'm a basket case but she just doesn't understand.
8) 8)
Peterson WPF 8 HI-LO Large Frame

Quartlow

Quote from: crtreedude on December 29, 2005, 09:00:56 PM
Tony,

It can be a positive thing - they are easier to hit...  ::)

Ya think so? Ever tried to hit one of those stealth trees?  ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Flyboy

:) I used ta look at hot cars and womans, Now it's Peterbilts pullin log trailers that gets my attention ;D ;D
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

SAW MILLER

I been huntin all week and done the same thing.Bad thing is ,I drive thru a state park to work every evening and there is timber down on every road.It's got so bad with me I been schemeing up plans in my mind about  how I can buck it all up and get it home without getting throwed in the pokie ;D ;It sure makes me sick to look at big red oaks rotting away that I remember were sound when they fell.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Thank You Sponsors!