iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dropped A Wack of Trees

Started by Kevin_H., October 05, 2002, 06:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

We got a chance to drop about 15 good trees today on and empty lot, soon to be a new home for someone, Mostly red and white oak, with 2 cherry and 2 hickory.

We did ok, nothing much to hit. We did have some trouble trying to drop against the lean, we would make our notch and start on the back cut, After we were in the cut we would try to sink a wedge in the chainsaw kerf to help direct the fall, but the wedge would not stick.

Still 3 more white oak to drop. all better than 30" dib, But they are leaning toward trees that the home owner would like to keep, so I think we will let the track hoe take them down.
We still get the logs but we have to cut off the rootball.
Now I have a wack of logs to haul home. 8)
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

HORSELOGGER

Hi Kevin, sounds like a great deal for you 8)  Please think hard about getting some chainsaw training tho,  you do not " drop against the lean" with a notch and back cut :o :o Very good way to get hurt bad or worse :( Good choice on the remaining logs.  Have fun sawing ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Paul_H

Kevin_H
Please listen to what Horselogger has said. The wedge wouldn't drive in,either because the back cut wasn't deep enough yet,or more likely because of the weight of the tree closing up the cut.It can be a dangerous situation.

Good luck.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

Kevin,  What you might consider, is making your back cut first and placing your wedges.  The make you face.  In this way your sedges are well started and aid in the direction you wish your tree to fall.  I would suggest, however in this case to use the trackhoe.  Practice first on some trees that are not as tricky or important in what direction they have to fall.  Be careful!
Frank Pender

Kevin_H.

hey Frank,
Thanks for the tips. The couple of trees that we tried to drop against the lean were in the middle of the lot, and less than 16" DIB.so no harm when they fell wrong, We tried to make this a learning exp.
Using the wedges to correct the lean was the way the OSHA logging pages described. The 3 trees left can not be dropped any other way other then in pieces or with the track hoe.
I have gotten a few short lessons from tree services when I have worked around them. But nothing major
I brought home 2 loads and hopefully will get the rest tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

C_Miller

If you get a chance might want to consider cheking into "The Game of Logging " Program. They teach directional felling in a small group setting. Sometimes the self-teaching lessons get reviewed from the hospital bed or worse...
CJM

Thank You Sponsors!