iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan Pro poor hot starts

Started by Qweaver, December 29, 2005, 12:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I bought a Poulan Pro two years ago and it has always been a little hard to restart when used and then allowed to set for awhile.  It starts fine when cold or for short periods after use.  But often when allowed to set for 10 minutes or so after use, it absolutely refuses to restart.  I should have returned this saw when it was new but I just thought it would get better as the saw got broke in.   It's seems to be better during cold weather and maybe that is because it is cooling off more quickly.   It acts like a vapor lock but I'm not sure that vapor lock can happen with this type of fuel system.  Electronics often fail when over-heated but the saw starts well when restarted immediately or shortly after a shut-down.  It will try to start and run for a few seconds so it's getting spark.  Usually afte 50,60 100 tries I can some times "catch" it with the throttle and by pumping the throttle get it going again.  Some times it just has to cool back down.

I finally bought a Husky 455 Rancher which starts and runs great,  but I'd still like to use the poulan to trim trees after felling.  I really thought I was buying a quality saw when I bought the Poulan Pro but the Husky leaves it for dead.  I came close to throwing it in the river several times this past summer!!!!  The woods were not fit for women or small children as I regularly cussed that *##* saw and I lost a bunch of time.  During the last few weeks of freezing weather it has been restarting OK or maybe I'm just not duplicating the same conditions.
Any insight appreciated.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

sawguy21

Pumping the throttle willl not have an effect because there is no accelerator pump in the carb. I find my Husky 345 starts easier warm if I pull out  the choke then push it in to set the high idle. Will it start if you choke it after a 10 minute rest? That may help a vapour lock situation.  Your 55R is a much better saw than anything Poulan builds even though the are part of the same conglomerate.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scottr

Quinton , my PP220 (1993 model) had a similar hot restart problem . If I pumped the primer bulb a couple times and set the fast idle it would crank up . Not long after I noticed the restricted muffler and after opening up the outlet and adjusting the carb it no longer has hot starting problems . I cranks on the second pull cold and one pull hot . They are set very lean from the factory . What model is your Poulan Pro ?     Scott

IL Bull

I have poulan wild thing that does the same thing.  I am sure it is vapor locking.  I learned that if you pump up the primer bulb it restarts a lot easier.  I also choke it after pumping it up.  Still takes about 3 pulls to get running.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Qweaver

Scott, the saw is in WV and I'm in Texas right now so I don't know the exact model.  I did buy it about a two years ago at Lowes and I'm fairly sure that it has an 18" bar.  As Sawguy21 pointed out it does not have an Accelerator pump but nevertheless, pumping the throttle is often the ONLY way to get it to run.  Rapidly closing the butterfly will create a high vacuum and a rich mix which indicates that the saw is just not getting enough fuel.   Once I get it going again, it runs and starts fine.   Pumping the primer bulb and choking has no effect.   I do note that the fuel tank is pressurized after running.  A small engine mechanic told me it should not be pressurized but I think he is wrong.  I've often got bad advise from "experts" that think they know more than they do and have found forums like this a pretty good source of info.
The bottom line this past summer was that I needed to get trees on the groung and sawn so that I would have dry lumber to build with next summer and I did not have time to try and fix the saw...so I just went out and got the Husky.  I'm still using the Poulan and in fact it has been working OK in the cold as I indicated.  I guess I'll see next summer.   I've spent many years building formula racing cars, including engines and intake and exhaust systems and I feel sure that with time I could figure this saw out...but I'd just rather throw the *DanG thing away and spend my time sawing wood.  I may make an attempt to "fix" it when I get back to WV.  What exactly did you do to "open up" the outlet?
Thanks , Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Kevin

Have you tried starting it with the choke off and throttle held wide open on a hot start?

scottr

Quinton , the Poulan Pro 260 came with a 18" bar . It has the same restricted muffler as my 220 . If you'll take the muffler off and look at the two small louvre outlets on the back you'll see why it runs hot and lean . If you pop the front off the muffler and remove the spark arrestor screen it will help and if you have needle nose or round nose pliers to pry open the two small louvres to make them round top not flat .                                   The warm starting procedure for your saw is the same as mine . Place switch on . Set fast idle by pulling out choke and pushing back in . Slowly press primer bulb 6 times . Pull starter rope . When engine starts blip the throttle to idle .   Scott

Thank You Sponsors!